To wonder why some people don't RSVP to DC parties?

(311 Posts)
MrsMushroom Mon 04-Mar-13 14:11:34

confused I can't fathom it really. Out of 28 DC in DDs class, 22 have responded with thank you we'd love to come...one has let me know they will be away that weekend and 5 have not responded at all!

I see one of the Mothers sometimes....what's the deal?? Obviously we can't go to ALL the parties ALL the time and I'm happy with 22 that are attending...but I don't know how many bleddy party bags to make now! I'll have to make the extra 5 incase these children turn up won't I?

I could assume 2 for example lost invitations....but surely no more than that? It's such bad form!

FacebookWanker Tue 19-Nov-13 21:30:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FacebookWanker Tue 19-Nov-13 21:26:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Floggingmolly Fri 05-Apr-13 19:01:17

One of the mums from school had a weird experience recently. She sent all the invites by text; but (copying from the year groups spreadsheet) accidentally texted someone from the other Year 1 class, that her ds barely knows.
Despite the text reading for example Hi Jane, John is invited to ........,
and her name being Penny, mother of Peter - she turned up at the party, and was completely unfazed when her ds was unsurprisingly not on the prepaid guest list.
There are some right weirdos out there.

FlorenceMattell Fri 05-Apr-13 18:44:19

Was trying to make the point that even the worse illness is no excuse for rudeness. Cancer is not a taboo subject ;just part of life like many other illnesses.

cherrypez Fri 05-Apr-13 18:33:36

And actually (getting quite upset now) when you are terminally ill and unable to toilet and feed yourself and communicate with or recognise your loved ones a text isn't really a priority either. Withdrawing from this now. Pride yourself on manners? Consider what might offend others before you speak, please. Even a child can do that, too.

cherrypez Fri 05-Apr-13 18:29:52

I'm agreeing with your point, Florence, you don't need to persuade me on that, I just can't be ok with anybody using cancer in a flippant way to prove a point. I'm a teacher, I spend half my life bemoaning the manners of others, but cannot get worked up about it enough to be that offensive.

FlorenceMattell Fri 05-Apr-13 18:24:30

Cherry even people who are ill can text, I know that for a fact takes 30 seconds. I had a friend die young and she taught her children good manners right to the end. So no I will not retract it. I have every sympathy with people with cancer is very close to home at the moment. Was using it as the one of the worst kind of personal traumas, but does not stop someone replying to an invite. “No x cannot come to X”. How long does it take to say that, answer phone, text it, email it, writing it on a note for the book bag, speak to the mother. In replying parents are teaching their children by example. If you were invited to something at work, would you simply not reply?

cherrypez Fri 05-Apr-13 18:15:59

Yes, I agree with you to an extent, it takes seconds to RSVP, but to people who have lost a loved one to the 'terminal cancer' you so flippantly refer to in order to make your point, it just makes them think you're an arsehole and your point is lost. Seriously, don't go round saying things like that in rl. Sheesh.

FlorenceMattell Fri 05-Apr-13 18:12:08

Busy lives are an excuse - they are rude! We are talking about something that takes 30 seconds. The truth is people are becoming more and more selfish. Life has always been busy; we have hundred ways to communicate nowadays, so not replying is in the main just plain selfish. Yes I will accept that occasionally people do forget but mainly it is people being selfish. And yes this is old thread, but OP didn’t deserve the abuse she received.

cherrypez Fri 05-Apr-13 18:04:28

Florence, what the actual fuck? Take your terminal cancer comment and fuck right off...if ever a comment was OTT and completely deranged you just made it. Seething!!!

redwallday Fri 05-Apr-13 17:58:13

Because people have busy lives and forget! I rang one person the day before and she confirmed she was coming but they had all had flu last week and she totally forgot to text.

FlorenceMattell Fri 05-Apr-13 17:44:33

Parents do not reply to their children's invite because:
1 They are too plain selfish to put their children first.
2. They can find time to log on to mumsnet and write tons of crap yet cant send a one line text, or email, or note on a cereal packet.
3. Good parents teach their children good manners by example, these types of people are not capable of that.
4 Foget the excuses dont care if you have got terminal cancer and the roof is falling in it is all bullshit. YOU ARe JUST PLAIN RUDE!!!!!!!!!!
5 Dont worry most people suss who you are very quickly and dont invite your child more than once,

Maryz Sun 10-Mar-13 23:16:50

It hasn't been nasty.

In some places it has been quite funny, and fairly supportive, as well as very reasonable.

I am howling at Kungfu - that's the type of thing I used to do with ds2's parties. I had a friend whose eldest was in ds2's class, and she used to remind me about parties and school events, because by the time I got to ds2 (child 3) they just seemed so unimportant blush.

How those people on 16 kids and counting manage school parties, I have no idea.

fromparistoberlin Sun 10-Mar-13 22:29:26

ahhhhh

DS first big party and from school ZERO texts back, admittedly only invited five. but still!

will stop sressing, its clearly the norm!!!!

MrsSham Sun 10-Mar-13 14:18:53

No one is ridiculing you it has simply just taken a humorous turn at no ones expense.

MrsMushroom Sun 10-Mar-13 13:52:09

YES it was! But the thread needs to go away. it's been a nasty one. I wont post again and would be glad if others did not.

TandB Sun 10-Mar-13 13:50:04

Er, I did all those things. Was that not obvious?

[backs slowly away from thread]

MrsMushroom Sun 10-Mar-13 13:47:31

PLEASE don't fucking bump it panda. It's a joke and all the things you've said have been suggested. Did you not see that it took a whole new fucking persona? One which ridiculed me??? Leave it alone.

TandB Sun 10-Mar-13 13:44:17

Bumping the thread back up to suggest they might have done the following:

Received invitation - read date and time and wrote it on calendar as Saturday 10th and filed it entirely wrongly in head as Saturday 3rd.
Left invitation in car. Driven car to garage to be fixed. Left without invitation.
Had no RSVP information - left message with pre-school for parent of birthday child saying DS1 could attend and leaving tel number for any problems.
Purchased presents and cards.
Got to Saturday 3rd. Panicked due to complicated local event meaning road to venue closed. Made complex travel plans.
Checked calendar and discovered it wasn't on 3rd at all.
Realised Saturday wasn't 10th - Sunday was 10th.
Got ill. Baby got ill. DP went away for work event. Brain ceased functioning. Arranged MIL to look after sick baby while DS1 goes to party.
Got to within 2 hours of party time, located lost invitation by chance. Texted parent to check DS1 on their list. Read invitation again. Realised it was yesterday.
Wallowed in shame and guilt.

I am mortified. I do not understand how I have managed to be quite so stupid on quite so many occasions about this one party. I got the date wrong TWICE. They must have just thought we didn't bother turning up. DS1 is going to be a social pariah for the rest of his school life because I'm going to be the crap, disorganised mother who does stuff like this.

Is there a Crap Mothers' Day?

zipzap Sun 10-Mar-13 01:15:50

Inspired by liking the wombles when I was little, I bought the greatest hits of the wombles for ds1 when he was little.

it's actually rather good, even now blush and one of the few 'child' cds that is allowed on grin

And no, I'm not 42 unfortunately I'm 43 going on 7 I've just realised by my taste in music!

MrsSham Sat 09-Mar-13 21:29:44

He can't be gay, he is a catholic don't ya know wink

BerylStreep Sat 09-Mar-13 20:59:54

I take it that everyone remaining on the thread is 42 then, judging by the music.

I don't care if he is married, I'm still convinced Daniel ODonnell is gay.

CabbageLeaves Sat 09-Mar-13 18:04:09

I am feeling so reassured by the other Wombling album owners. The years of shame may be in the past

Growlithe Sat 09-Mar-13 01:12:39

Just watching the end of yesterday's gig. He is a beautiful person.

MrsSham Sat 09-Mar-13 01:03:35

this one

Please no more common learning traing confused I'm done with that for a year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now