to report neighbour to landlord for smoking weed?

(136 Posts)
alisunshine29 Wed 27-Feb-13 23:07:17

DD was playing in the garden tonight and our neighbour and some boys were smoking weed. I've smelt it many times before but hadn't realised that's where it was coming from - she has a 2 year old who was also out in the garden so hadn't suspected her at all. If it wasn't for her having a child there, and my children having to breath the smoke in if they want to play in their own garden, I'd mind my own business but now I'm thinking of reporting her to our joint landlord. AIBU?

ThreeTomatoes Mon 30-Sep-13 18:21:40

In our old flat the man in the flat below us was smoking weed & skunk every evening, the insulation was not good in our flat so every evening we were putting dd to bed in a stinking room and keeping windows open in freezing winter sad. It was hanging around on our clothes too (coats, scarves).
When I confronted him about it he refused to 'trudge through the mud' to smoke in his own garden angry . He was selfish prick, and they had a 2 yo son as well.

We had no choice but to move out (they owned their flat), we were so unhappy & worried about dd. We are not at all prigs about this either, it's just a no brainer when you have DC IMO.
Silver lining though - we moved to a lovely little house which we are now buying from the landlord smile Funny how things go.

BurberryQ Mon 30-Sep-13 18:13:04

oh right sure - the landlord is going to come and say 'tenants you have to leave the person next door says you smoked a joint in the garden'
duh.

flaflafla Mon 30-Sep-13 14:07:02

Landlords can kick tenants out if they are behaving anti-socially and they go through the proper channels to do this. Smoking drugs in the garden is clearly anti-social behaviour, and would be very easy to prove.

GinAndIt Mon 30-Sep-13 14:04:33

I'm bumping it again for BOF's excellent joke grin

specialsubject Mon 30-Sep-13 13:41:05

the landlord cannot 'kick the tenants out'. They can refuse to renew the lease when it expires, and hope the tenants leave. If not they can then start eviction proceedings.

yes, even if the tenants are junkies.

do let the landlord know - but realise their powers are very limited.

gamerchick Mon 30-Sep-13 13:38:32

You didn't bump it I don't think so wouldn't have seen one.

It doesn't matter anyway grin

NotDead Mon 30-Sep-13 13:34:03

Yeah, what she said

Buzzardbird Mon 30-Sep-13 13:33:53

Ah frig, I see no zombie warning, I am normally good at spotting them. Sorry folks

BurberryQ Mon 30-Sep-13 13:28:17

grin BOF - can you do 'flower of Scotland'?

gamerchick Mon 30-Sep-13 13:27:49

What's the point of a zombie thread warning if people are just going to bump it anyroad?

NotDead Mon 30-Sep-13 13:27:29

Its interesting - if smoke were as carcinogenic as everyone seems to think everyone would have cancer all the time. Weirdos.

NotDead Mon 30-Sep-13 13:25:54

I think you should get a notepad, a pen and a camera and report EVERY minor infringement of the law to somebody INCLUDING YOUR OWN. A standard letter saying 'I saw my neighbour speeding over the speed limit, don't you know people die if there is an accident sometimes you know' or 'I saw someone parking in a loading bay for more than five minutes AND THEY WEREN"T LOADING' or 'I lifted something over 11 kilos at work the other day don't you know I could have injured MY OWN BACK' etc.. it could be a fun project!

Buzzardbird Mon 30-Sep-13 13:24:03

Yy to undercoverhousewife, it IS a problem. I have faced this problem recently, it is no joke when you think YOU are going to be prosecuted for what your TENANTS do

NotDead Mon 30-Sep-13 13:22:27

not sleeping well affects brain development - are you reporting yourself for your child abuse each time he/she wakes up and you don't put him/er straight back to bed?

Some people read the DM as if its fact! Honestly wake up!

NotDead Mon 30-Sep-13 13:20:44

When you have banned all the traffic, and industrial particulates, then move on to the odd whiff of tobacco smoke.

flaflafla Mon 30-Sep-13 13:18:24

Report her. It is illegal.

PaulSmenis Mon 30-Sep-13 13:16:22

The landlord might even be a toker, who knows?

ShakeRattleNRoll Mon 30-Sep-13 13:05:45

You will be laughed at if you report her they will be able to do nothing without a warrant and that is very difficult to obtain without several people complaining.Just chill out please your kid won't be breathing the fumes in .

Rachel778 Mon 30-Sep-13 12:44:51

YABU

Mind your own Business

Gas69 Mon 30-Sep-13 11:52:41

Yes, report them to the landlord and if no joy then to the authorities. Cannabis smoke can effect brain development in children and also with the carcinogens in the smoke is very nasty indeed. Its your right/instinct to protect your child as any normal parent would do.
I've had the this problem with new neighbours for the last 7 months. The mother of the weed smoking house dont care that her older son smokes and she has a younger child of 8. I've tried the one to one approach several times with her. Then had meetings with the landlady. She dont care either. My next move is to the authorities as she has a younger son living there. Not really keen on doing this but I want to save my child from this pollution and is my last chance to stop this. They have rights to a healthy environment. I would just move house but cannot afford to do presently. So am stuck with these stoners who dont care how they are affecting our health/lives.
People who tell you to chill out? Need to show some empathy. Its your childs health not theirs.

IShallCallYouSquishy Mon 01-Jul-13 13:47:57

Lots of people are of the thought "it's only weed"

Umm, last time I checked that was a class B illegal drug. Taking drugs is acceptable now is it?

I'm not saying report them, but amazed people seem so blasé about illegal drugs shock

Lauryn20 Mon 01-Jul-13 13:42:09

My landlord knows i smoke weed on a regular basis, everyday in fact. I smoke it in my garage or shed not his house and he's fine as long as i don't have some big cannabis farm in my attic! Seriously chill...marijuana is safer than cigarettes, alcohol and most pharmaceuticals. Do some research you will find marijuana is used for medicinal purposes in some places, it may not be legal yet in the UK but there are hundreds and thousands of people including A list celebrities fighting for marijuana legalisation or decriminalisation around the world.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Sun 03-Mar-13 10:05:30

grin

BOF

aquashiv Sat 02-Mar-13 22:37:17

Personally if it were bothering me I would just tell them politely. Honestly spliff smoke is everywhere we live bloody posh middle England. My old neighbour smokes it. I used to burn a josh stick just to mask the smell until I got a grip. I would rather live next door to a stoner than a bunch of piss heads to be honest. The smell is not nice but not as bad as the pig shit the other uses.
PS is it not called spliff any more then Jeez I am old.

ReallyTired Sat 02-Mar-13 21:36:22

Are you annoyed by your neighbour smoking weed or are you concerned for her children. Surely reporting that a two year old is being neglected by a druggie to social services or the police would have more of a response. However your neighbour would not take too kindly to being reported to authorities and understandly might make your life hell.

Complaining to the landlord is not likely to do much. It is not that easy to evict a tenant even when there are grounds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now