Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To Get The Rage Over Hammered School Shoes/Lost Gym Kit???

(40 Posts)
LaQueen Tue 26-Feb-13 16:24:43

DD1 is on her second pair of Startrite's since late November. The first pair she killed and scuffed to buggery within 4 weeks, and they finally died just before half term.

Bought her another pair of Startrite's at the weekend - she swore faithfully to be more careful with them...she wore them only for the second time today, she came home, and they're already scuffed and they're thick with mud angry

During the following terse words, I insisted that she will just have to wear her trainers at break times...except, apparently, she has no idea where her trainers are! She hasn't seen them since just before half term...looked for them yesretday and today - but can't find them.

So, the Puma trainers she begged and pleaded for...have disappeared into the ether angry Have checked with school, they have searched, can't see them sad

I am so cross with DD1's lacksidazical attitude towards her belongings. She can't be trusted to take care of anything. She's just turning 10, and yet she constantly forgets, and loses stuff...recently she played at a friend's house, after school, and managed to leave everything behind at her friend's. Coat, shoes, book bag and lunch box.

In 15 months she's going to be at the GS, having to carry everything with her, from classroom to clasroom...and I'm dreading it. The GS uniform is expensive to say the least, and she's just going to constantly lose everything, at this rate.

I've just had a mini rant at her, and she's now upstairs tearful and feeling hugely hard done to.

Am at a loss as to how to get here to be slightly more responsible. Or is it just a lost battle, already sad

LaQueen Tue 26-Feb-13 19:34:15

sitting oh we get that with DD1 - she's very creative, and very imaginative and, that's apparently a wonderful thing...

Well, if her trainers don't show up tomorrow, then she's going to have to use that imagination to pretend that her next cheapy trainers are Pumas... and she's going to be buying them with her own money, too!

FamiliesShareGerms Tue 26-Feb-13 19:39:43

Oh no, I was hoping DS (7) would grown out of his sieve brain which means that he loses or forgets something pretty much every day. Today he forgot to go to after school football, even though he took his permission slip and football kit into school this morning. Last time he forgot one trainer, so did football in one shoe and one trainer - then lost the other shoe...

seeker Tue 26-Feb-13 19:43:55

I would be cross about the lost stuff- but not about the trashed shoes. I would just be grateful to have a year 6 girl who still wanted to charge about and didn't mind getting muddy, to be honest.

greenfolder Tue 26-Feb-13 19:45:01

dd2 is equally impossible. i only buy her one jumper at a time and this has revolutionised jumper retention. we will not mention the trainers she lost, nor my nike trainers that she took to school and lost when she couldnt find hers and so it continues. she is 15, i have given up

LaQueen Tue 26-Feb-13 20:03:00

I think DD1 is just a bit of a lost cause...I don't see how you can make someone more responsible/careful of their belongings.

She was genuinely remorseful earlier...but, by tomorrow she'll have forgotten all about it.

But, lesson learned...it's back to the cheap £10 trainers, and she's buying them herself.

HotPinkWeaselWearingLederhosen Tue 26-Feb-13 20:04:09

Ds is nearly 10. I am having the rage over his new PE trainers. Of which he lost one immediately - I have waited a whole term and it has not appeared. They have been replaced with cheap is from Sainsburys and a pointed death threat.

DS1 lost one trainer in Y4. I was reluctant to throw the other one away in case the first one turned up again. It never did.

LaQueen Tue 26-Feb-13 20:37:51

If it was a rare occurence, then fair enough, I could let it go...

But, she has a very long history of losing stuff, and forgetting stuff - and, although she says all the right things, and expresses remorse etc, she's just paying lip service, really.

And, she's not bothered that she'll be buying more trainers from her own savings. She's not money-orientated, at all - and is happy to give it away.

littlewhitebag Tue 26-Feb-13 20:38:30

Eh - damp cloth and shoe polish? Cleans shoes a treat. Has done for years. Ditto use of cobbler for heeling and soling of shoes.

LaQueen Tue 26-Feb-13 20:40:04

little yes, I know that. I assiduously clean/polish their school shoes...but, her previous pair she had ripped the toes out of them within 6 weeks.

ThePathanKhansAmnesiac Tue 26-Feb-13 20:48:11

Give her a break Laqueen, you sound like a nag.
The poor child can hardly help the shoes getting scuffed. My mum used to tell me to"walk easy" in my new shoes confused, and God help me if a light bulb ever went as I flicked the switch! "Heavy handed".grin
And as pointed out, Mr Laqueen has previous, if littleLaqueen has inherited Mr's misplacing dna, it,s really all his fault.
And making her pay for her trainers is harsh.

SpeckleDust Tue 26-Feb-13 20:52:59

I bought these Asda school shoes for DD1 after she wore a hole through the soles of her Startrite ones within 8 weeks wear
m.direct.asda.com/george/girls/shoes-boots/flower-school-shoes/G003857538,default,pd.html

She also has very wide feet (G/H) and a high instep. They might not be to her taste, but just wanted to highlight that cheaper supermarket shoes might be ok. They didn't last any longer than the Startrite ones but I can live with replacing them fairly often when they are only a tenner.

comingintomyown Tue 26-Feb-13 21:01:43

My almost 14 year old is like this and has been these 4 years past

After lots of rows I am quite zen like now , just cba to get into it with her anymore, I remember your pain

givemeaboost Tue 26-Feb-13 21:27:33

I second goin the supermarket way. ive got 2 ds, one that never loses stuff and never breaks stuff, the other who goes through shoes at a rate of a pair a month, trousers frequently ripped, loses stuff at school all the time etc etc. after using clarkes for school shoes i can confirm they do not last any longer than cheaper brands. I buy tesco wide fit school shoes now as he has a H+ width fitting and a high instep, they cost about £12-15 and get trashed in the same amount of time as clarkes, so although theyre no better as such, youre saving £15-20 per pair than if you were buying startrite/clarkes.

ArtexMonkey Tue 26-Feb-13 23:16:20

1) get some scuffkote
2) buy her some more trainers, if you buy them spendy stuff then let them take it to school and it goes walkabout, it's your fault.
3) let her play on the bloody grass, she's 9 years old ffs
4) boys' school shoes seem wider and more supportive, they also tend to be harder to scuff hmm
5) she's not being bullied is she?
6) unclench

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now