Singing teachers child

(57 Posts)
Cazzymaddy Tue 26-Feb-13 14:09:14

AIBU with this? DD1 (15) started singing lessons in mid January- we found someone that was recommended to us and she does them in the back room of her house- 30 minutes session. On the first session, the teachers young child was left with me alone in the front room- she had toys to play with- I guess she was about 6years old but she wanted me to play with her- the excuse given was that she had not wanted to go to Grandmas that evening. On the second session, we changed our day so she was there again and I was alone with her. Last week, back to our normal day and she wasn't there as the teacher said her exH was messing her about with contact days, but she said she would be there next week. AIBU to think I am leaving myself wide open to be with her alone as I am essentially a stranger? I am thinking of sitting in the car outside tonight as I can't think of a way to phrase it to the teacher.

whois Thu 30-May-13 18:53:03

FFS the music teacher didn't leave her child with the OP. child was playing on her own in her own sitting room. OP sits in same room and it shocked child tried to interact with her.

OP just go sit in the car with book and/ or radio, problem solved.

Sarina24 Thu 30-May-13 18:30:36

You shouldnt be babysitting and the tutor should definitely NOT be leaving her child with you?!? Essentially you are a stranger. Thats very trusting of her! If you are looking for a singing teacher try this lady. She's great...but I think her fee is higher than £12 an hour. Her email is info@mariaq.com.

pinkyredrose Wed 27-Feb-13 16:59:23

Pure maybe you should read the thread before posting.

Pickles101 Wed 27-Feb-13 16:37:44

So essentially, you are pissed off at a friendly 6 year old trying to include you in her play, in her own home?

YABU. Why are you sat in the tutor's house for the lesson? It's none of your business what her childcare arrangements are, in the future either be grateful for the offer to stay & try being nice to the kid, or bugger off for half an hour.

But I don't get why you would want to be sat there anyway.

VinegarDrinker Wed 27-Feb-13 12:12:36

My DH is a music teacher. My toddler son is at home, often, when he is teaching. Obviously at just 2 there will be someone looking after him but he is hardly inconspicuous! He even - shock horror - has his bath with the door open while pupils and their parents come and go and stop to chat to him.

If we were millionaires we would have a house big enough to have a "waiting room" but we don't. I certainly can't guarantee peace and quiet, if you are there a child will likely want to play with you. If you weren't there she would presumably just play/watch TV and only ask help from her Mum in an emergency (which could happen with any working parent).

Luckily many of the parents who sit in our front room have actually become family friends, they bring DS presents and all sorts!

Can she cycle?
If she wants singing lessons, you should have thought about the convenience and location before starting tutoring. £12 is dead cheap for singing lessons, you should quite happily accept you need to "babysit" as part of the cost.

Yab totally U
What on earth made you think that you could help yourself to sit and read in the tutors front room!? Did she tell you this was ok? If I was the tutor I would find this extremely rude! shock

Your dd is 15, can she not make her own way there and home?

To be honest, if you are making yourself comfortable in somebody elses house (do you ask for tea and biscuits? wink ) you can hardly complain that you share the space with a child who lives there. hmm

Goldmandra Wed 27-Feb-13 11:55:31

I think most of the problem people have is that the OP has a problem with the child being in the living room of her own home. It's hardly the same as a doctor's waiting room.

I'm not talking about her concerns about the child being present. I am talking about the bizarre idea that being in the house while the lesson is happening is helicopter parenting.

Parents don't wait in the living room during music lessons because they want to check up on the child/teacher. IME they generally sit in the living room (if it is offered) because it is warmer and more comfortable than sitting in a car.

It is the same as sitting in any building waiting for someone you have driven to an appointment. You find somewhere comfortable to wait for them whether they are a child or an adult.

Why is sitting in the car outside the house seen as more desirable or less helicopterish than sitting in the living room?

Sitting in the room where the lesson was taking place would be helicopter parenting.

Picturesinthefirelight Wed 27-Feb-13 11:28:18

Dh teaches a lot if adults and often they have a friend/parent who has driven with them stay. It's not unusual especially ifcthecteacher does not live anywhere with public amenities as we do

Providing a waiting area be it a living room or kitchen or whatever is seen as part of the service.

12ylnon Wed 27-Feb-13 10:13:30

TBH i think you're pretty odd for staying in the teacher's house while your DD is having a lesson.
I did singing and piano for 10 years when i was young, it wouldn't have occurred to my parents to come in. They used to go home if i was having an hour, or sit in the car and read. I don't recall any other parents staying either (my teacher's daughter taught too, so there were always lots of children coming in and out).
Can't you go for a coffee at a friend's every now and again?

Cazzymaddy Wed 27-Feb-13 09:26:22

I don't have a problem with her being in her own home- I have a problem with playing with her, as happened the first week when she was flinging herself off the side of the chair and asking me to pull her back by her legs. Anyway, waited in the car last night - there is not even a bus that goes from our house to hers- so no, this is not about helicopter parenting. And before anyone says, can she not walk, no it is too far- and yes, if there was a bus she could get it as she gets a bus every day to school, she does know how to use a bus. We cannot go the same day every week as I work shifts. We pay £12 for 30 minutes. It was not unusual to wait, as all other parents and grandmas etc seem to wait, as we have seen the people before and after us on 2 separate evenings. Anyway, thanks for all the advice and opinions.

mamalovesmojitos Wed 27-Feb-13 09:26:10

Agree with general consesus. Of course the child is in her own house! You can wait in the car. Sounds like you just don't like the teacher though (drip feed about YouTube) so maybe you should just find a new one. It is ok to use karaoke backing tracks for singing lessons, of course it is.

teaforthree Wed 27-Feb-13 09:12:33

Well now she knows where the teacher lives she can get herself there and back and you'll have a free half hour on mums net doing housework smile

FranKatzenjammer Wed 27-Feb-13 08:26:19

Tropicalfish, I am also a singing teacher, and I'm afraid you are being ripped off.

youfhearted Wed 27-Feb-13 08:12:52

<<the child of the music teacher>>

youfhearted Wed 27-Feb-13 08:11:59

i dont know why you are making a fuss. the 6 yearold girl is in her own home. you are in her home.
if you want to sit in her home be prepared to interact ornot. perhaps the music teacher does not want you there and this is her way of telling you, if you must come in, my dd is here.

Goldmandra I think most of the problem people have is that the OP has a problem with the child being in the living room of her own home. It's hardly the same as a doctor's waiting room.

LeeCoakley Tue 26-Feb-13 23:30:09

I'd always wait in the car. A good book, the radio on and a bar of chocolate. Even a mug of tea if I'm really organised. Drop them off outside and then go in at the end to pick them up if a chat is necessary.

Goldmandra Tue 26-Feb-13 23:14:13

Why do so many people have a problem with the OP staying?

If I drive my DH to a GP appointment I would expect to sit in the waiting room while he sees the GP. Does that mean I am overprotective of my DH?

If it is too far to reasonably go home why wouldn't she wait?

TheOriginalSteamingNit Tue 26-Feb-13 23:02:07

dominos if the statement refers to the notion of the children of music teachers in the abstract, then it is correct.

OP I have no idea why you are staying while the lesson happens? I would consider that quite strange.

tropicalfish Tue 26-Feb-13 22:57:53

how good a singing teacher is she ? How well does your dd get on with her? How much does your dd enjoy and make the most of her singing lessons? How good are her qualifications? How much are you paying?
My dd has singing lessons with a teacher that comes to our house and I pay £30 for 45 mins. This is through an agency which takes a £5 cut.
Personally, I would be glad to be helpful to someone who was an excellent teacher who might otherwise be unable to teach. You have to be there anyway.

toomuchicecream Tue 26-Feb-13 22:14:50

I have looked after my DS's music teacher's toddler daughter two or three times. Every time I was texted in advance to ask if I would mind, and it was because the usual childcare had fallen through. The alternative would have been no lesson. Watching a DVD was fine. Putting her tea in the microwave and "encouraging" her to eat it was fine. It was when I suddenly recognised the way she was wriggling in her chair and matched it up with the number of pairs of small pants on the radiator....

Picturesinthefirelight Tue 26-Feb-13 21:15:51

It's not about the child being in her own house - it's about who has responsibility for her. The OP is paying for the undivided attention of the tutor.

My dd is 11 now so able to look after herself if need be.

Picturesinthefirelight Tue 26-Feb-13 21:13:38

Dh is a singing teacher who mostly teaches Musicsl theatre. Only in an emergency have our children been in the house without me there (once when I got held up and once in hdlf term when he had agreed to squeeze someone in who had an audition.

Despite being an excellent pianist he does often use backing tracks do that he can fully concentrate on the pupils singing rather than doing two jobs at once (playing and listening).

GrumpyKat Tue 26-Feb-13 21:04:40

I think she's being rather nice opening her home to you actually. I'm a music teacher and I don't have the parents of my pupils sitting in my house- it's my house (unless I've known them and taught their children for years, that's different). And my dd is often at large in her own home whilst I am working, seeing as she lives there and everything. Sometimes, my husband is there too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now