Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think that vanity sizing is getting ridiculous and to wonder where thin people buy their clothes?

(133 Posts)
LiegeAndLief Mon 25-Feb-13 19:44:09

10 years ago, I used to be a perfectly normal size 12. In recent years I seem to have shrunk to a 10. Last week I had to go down to an 8 in two separate shops - one of which I bought several things in a 10 from 6 months ago which fitted perfectly!

This is not a stealth boast as I am certainly not getting any smaller.

The thing that really got me is that both shops had nothing smaller than an 8, either in store or on-line. I'm a fairly average size and know plenty of people smaller than me. It just seemed utterly ridiculous that I was wearing the smallest size in the shop.

To be fair, in shops like New Look and H&M which seem to be aimed more towards a teenage market I am very much still a 10, verging on 12. But that just makes it worse as it really irritates me that I can't just be the same size everywhere!

peppersaunt Mon 25-Feb-13 20:26:09

The reason Gap sizes are so large is that they're American sizes ( which are 2 sizes bigger than UK equivalents -e.g. Gap size 10 = UK size 14!)

Foggles Mon 25-Feb-13 20:26:28

They are trying to force me into their changing rooms.

I don't DO changing rooms.

They make me cry.

nenevomito Mon 25-Feb-13 20:29:20

Its not all at the lower end of the range. I'm a size 18. In the same shop I can be a 16 and 18 or a 20 depending on what it is and what the cut is. I think they've given up standard sizing and just stick what the heck they want on the lable and leave it to the customer to try things on.

whois Mon 25-Feb-13 20:32:14

Agree! Fat Face dress = size 6, H&M skinny cords = size 14

I worked in fat face many years ago and even then the sizes were mahosive.

So funny, meant to be an 'active lifestyle brand' and we had huge fat women waddling over the street from Evens into Fat Face cos out size 18 was actually more like a 20/22!

AnnaRack Mon 25-Feb-13 20:36:05

babyheave it would save us all a lot of trouble if the sizes actually meant something wouldn't it? Then you would just take 1or 2 thongs to try on instead of 5 or 6.

AnnaRack Mon 25-Feb-13 20:36:49

Things even! Gaah!

holidaysarenice Mon 25-Feb-13 20:40:12

Trousers from H and M - always too small - 3 sizes too small!

Everyone should know that!!

I'm back in kids sizes, not that it bothers me too much and the leg length fits better, but it looks a bit odd when a 50 year old woman drags her 8 year old into the teen girl store to try on trousers and I'm the one doing the trying on.
It's also hard to find clothes that don't make me look like mutton dressed as lamb, even if they fit doesn't mean I can wear them.

paddingtonbear1 Mon 25-Feb-13 20:43:08

Agree OP - I think I'm a 12, but I have stuff in my wardrobe ranging from size 8 - 14. I wear my Mum's old House of Fraser velvet jacket, which must be 30 odd years old (she hardly wore it) - size 14, but it's a tight fit!

LiegeAndLief Mon 25-Feb-13 20:44:02

grin grin Annarack

Although surely the same would apply to thongs. Now that really would be something you'd need to try on over your own underwear.

nenevomito Mon 25-Feb-13 20:44:48

I was about to say - I gave up the thongs after having the bairns. grin

nenevomito Mon 25-Feb-13 20:45:40

Its stopped me from buying things on line. I CBA to have to buy the same thing in a few sizes and then return the ones that don't fit.

YouTheCat Mon 25-Feb-13 20:45:47

I was pondering on this just this afternoon.

I'm massive a big girl but I fit a size 20 in M and S. I'm an 18 in TU sizes. But I'm a size 24/26 in bloody H and M. Not sure about other places as I'm not really into clothes.

SolidSnake Mon 25-Feb-13 20:46:31

I agree, the Size 8 clothes are hanging off me in M&S and BHS, however I am normally a Size 10!

Go in Topshop - they have size FOUR.

currentbuns Mon 25-Feb-13 20:46:57

This vanity sizing is particularly irritating when you're buying things online & therefore aren't able to take the five sizes into a changing room. Boden is very bad for this, their 'Size 8' is closer to a 12 at least.

FrillyMilly Mon 25-Feb-13 20:48:02

I am a size 12 and have noticed this. I am wearing size 10 work trousers from next and have been on a diet/exercise kick and they are starting to get too big. There is no way I'm an 8. I wasn't an 8 10 years ago when I was 2 stone less than I am now (and pre DC). Can't they all get together and come up with standard sizing.

LaQueen Mon 25-Feb-13 20:50:15

Tis insane.

15 years ago, I weighed roughly 9.5 stone, and was a size 12.

Today, I weigh 1.5 stone heavier, and I'm still a size 12.

But, I have stuff in my wardrobe from a size 10 - 16...

YouTheCat Mon 25-Feb-13 20:51:40

I actually have some size 16 jeans from 20 years ago (pre kids). There is no way they are near today's 16s. I can't even get a leg in.

Svanhvitr Mon 25-Feb-13 20:52:19

Most expensive clothes shops don't go small enough for me, but luckily I'm poor and shop in places like H&M and Topshop, whose sizing is less " generous"... smile

ClimbingPenguin Mon 25-Feb-13 20:55:25

This is very annoying as it means there are loads of shops I can't buy stuff from now. I'm at the small end mostly because I am short.

The shops that vanity size forget to actually stock the old size 8's.

SolidSnake Mon 25-Feb-13 20:55:45

Svanhvitr Topshop is poor? shock

Svanhvitr Mon 25-Feb-13 20:57:33

I was comparing it to places like Whistles SolidSnake. And I guess poor was an exaggeration too...

kaumana Mon 25-Feb-13 21:02:51

20 years ago I was 9.2 stone and wore a size 12 trouser in Next. Today I weigh 9.5 and am a size 8 in trews there...

I like to go hunting for vintage clothes in charity shops/ ebay etc and have found that on the whole the sizing is 2 sizes smaller than now.

calmlychaotic Mon 25-Feb-13 21:06:24

Oh, I thought I was just getting thinner and my scales were broke.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now