Was I Unreasonable To Have Complained About This Advert...?

(270 Posts)

Firstly, I should say that I am very anti-cheating. I was cheated on a couple of years ago, and I am still trying to come to terms with it. I have recently also severed all ties with 2 friends due to cheating. These were very good friends of 20+ years. Friend A was having an affair and friend B was providing her with alibi's etc. That is how strongly I feel about cheating.

Ok, so that was just a bit of background.
Today I saw the TV advert for Flora Buttery and was absolutely horrified. The tagline of it is "Go ahead, cheat on butter."
Am I being unreasonable in thinking that they are encouraging/glorifying cheating?
That they are using the word cheat as if it is something good to do?
I'm not only concerned about cheating in an infidelity sense, but cheating in things such as school tests/sports etc. If children are watching this advert, they may see no harm in cheating.

I emailed Flora company directly to tell them how disgusted I was with the advert, and their lack of morals, and to tell them I would never be buying a Flora product again.

However, when I told my mum what I had done she told me that I had over-reacted and that it was just an advert and I'd behaved like a 'crazy thing'. I left her house and haven't replied to her text.
I'm really upset with her and don't feel that I did over-react.

SnowyWellies Mon 25-Feb-13 17:09:52

Um, yes.

It is cheating on you diet... you know, the little things you pop in your mouth (like leftover fishfingers) and tell yourself it does not count.

Did you really overreact like that?

Yep - have to agree - Over reaction.
Cannot believe you cut off 2 good friends of 20+ years either.
I can understand you have strong beliefs but your friend may well have needed you for support and you just cut her off!?
You certainly do find out who your real friends are in these kinds of situations.

I'm surprised that so far there's no one who agrees with me.
I was hoping others would also email Flora and hopefully they would pull the advert if there were enough complaints.

CodandLobster Mon 25-Feb-13 17:11:15

Sorry, but you have made yourself sound a bit mad.

Floralnomad Mon 25-Feb-13 17:11:31

Are you serious? Most definitely an overreaction .

Manchesterhistorygirl Mon 25-Feb-13 17:12:09

You know that complaint is going on the pin board in the flora canteen don't you OP.

podgymumma Mon 25-Feb-13 17:12:28

OMG the people at Flora must be pissing themselves with laughter blush

CodandLobster Mon 25-Feb-13 17:12:31

Just saw your last post, now I think (hope!) that you are joking...

AllThatGlistens Mon 25-Feb-13 17:13:03

Yep, just a tad U... grin

Why was it wrong to have cut off my 2 friends? I did not agree with what they were doing. I saw a new side of them that I didn't like.

SnowyWellies Mon 25-Feb-13 17:13:37

Clearly a windup.

NoraSpect Mon 25-Feb-13 17:13:43

Massive overreaction!

PessaryPam Mon 25-Feb-13 17:14:01

Loony alert!!!!

WilsonFrickett Mon 25-Feb-13 17:14:12

Nope. I'm not going to email Flora. About their butter advert. About cheating on an inanimate object with another inanimate object.

WheresMyCow Mon 25-Feb-13 17:14:21

I'll delurk just to say that's an interesting first post Peppa hmm

If you are indeed serious I would say you have definitely overreacted.

Chill out, it's not butter grin

WheresMyCow Mon 25-Feb-13 17:15:08

Forgot to say - YABU!

Gigondas Mon 25-Feb-13 17:15:45

What has cutting off your friends got to do with it? You asked about ad.

Op you are sounding more and more extreme - is there something else going on in your life? This is not a proportionate reaction .

Aww is it a wind up?

Fuckin full moon

countrykitten Mon 25-Feb-13 17:15:54

Post 2 proves it is a wind up. Thank goodness PeppaFuckingPig - did make me laugh though. At least you are not the loopy OP I thought that you were. smile

Theicingontop Mon 25-Feb-13 17:16:00

Because people, friends, good solid friends (20 years!!) that are hard to find, make errors of judgements and mistakes. If you're their friend you kind of expect that, and are prepared to take them and all their faults. Just seems, to me, a bit extreme to completely cut them off for it.

HecateWhoopass Mon 25-Feb-13 17:16:13

Is it a first post? Don't we have a peppapig on here? I'm sure we do.

NamelessHereForEvermore Mon 25-Feb-13 17:16:18

2/10

Try harder. Perhaps a subject that has just a faint whiff of believability about it.
Go to your room and have a think about yourself. Come back down when...........no, actually, stay there.

WorraLiberty Mon 25-Feb-13 17:16:19

OP if you feel so strongly that you're in the right

Why name change?

DeepRedBetty Mon 25-Feb-13 17:16:44

Sorry, you are being seriously weird about this. That advert is British Sense of Humour in action.

I do understand about cutting off friends over cheating. I no longer speak to an ex friend after she tried to embroil me into helping to cover up her affair

countrykitten Mon 25-Feb-13 17:16:48

grin at WilsonFrickett

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now