To think schools do not realise hassle of dress up days?

(245 Posts)
MariusEarlobe Fri 22-Feb-13 10:34:19

We will have had three in as many weeks!
China day
Victorian day
World book day

Each time ALL the other parents buy proper costumes, no one makes them, no home made attempts that used to win prizes for effort like my day so there is massive pressure to buy costumes or your child feels odd one out. They never fit the year after.

Our school is in a mixed social area from very poor to wealthy. It's a lot of pressure to find £10 for a costume each time for those on low income.

Dd s favourite book is Dork Diaries, I thought about sending her as the main character and amazing up normal clothes but dd won't as she will get called for no costume.

sailorsgal Sun 24-Feb-13 17:15:16

I had to buy a Knight costume this week £20 and make a shield plus visit a castle, which for two adults and one child was £21. Thankfully the grandparents were around to take ds as I was working.

I do find it too much sometimes and I only have the one.

exoticfruits Sun 24-Feb-13 17:17:15

I wonder how teachers manage for their own children?

They all do!

exoticfruits Sun 24-Feb-13 17:18:04

It is the sort of thing that makes education fun for children and that they always remember.

nickelbabe Sun 24-Feb-13 17:30:19

griffin.
pipecleaners are your friend.
bend them into claw shapes and tie to shoes.
feathers/wings : easiest to cut out wong shapes from cardboard and draw feather shapes with felt tip. tie them on with string or elastic.
he could wear brown/cream clothes underneath - leggings/pyjamas and teeshirt. he doesn't need arms, so in theory the wings could be tied on to those.

face - eagle's face. a brown woolly hat would work, use more brown/ white card to make feathers. make big yellow eyes with paper and glue on to the hat.
you can make a beak by making a cone oc yellow card and tie it round his head with elastic.

Oh, I have a Plan Of Action for the griffin (starting with existing lion costume and adding eagley bits on top). I just have yet to put it into action.

Oh, did I mention DS's strong perfectionist streak? <fetches gin>

nickelbabe Sun 24-Feb-13 17:36:17

ooooh lucky having a lion suit already!

superstarheartbreaker Sun 24-Feb-13 17:38:24

It's not just dress up day though is it? We have Easter hat and easter egg competitions; quite cute and I like making Easter bonnets but not everyone has time.

thefirstmrsrochester Sun 24-Feb-13 17:48:20

At dress up comps at ds primary it's the same kids without fail (multiple kids in each family) who win the fancy dress. Every time. Whilst there is no denying the costumes are great, why should the child get awarded the prize for the time, money & inclination their folks had to take costume making to the next level?
Ds school had a 'build a model of a famous building' comp. P4. Some kids did the Lego or shoe box thing, the dd of an architect did a full on scaled down model of the Brandenburg gate. She won. Errrr.....the mum won.

exoticfruits Sun 24-Feb-13 18:25:20

The children are supposed to make the hats and decorated eggs! Give them the materials and keep out of the way.

YANBU but I tend to cheat as much as I can. We have done Charlie Bucket (old slightly small clothes maybe with a scrap of fabric, roughly sewn on as a patch - only hand made thing is a piece of gold card with the invitation on it which took 10 minutes) and this time for WBD DS2 wants to go as Percy Jackson. He can wear an orange t-shirt, black hoodie and black jeans and the only thing I am going to make is the lightening bolt out of a large bit of cardboard and some tin foil. If I can find a character who wears normal clothes which you can just add some identifying accessory that seems the easiet thing. It also means that those reluctant to dress up don't have to do anything outrageous.

I really really dislike children who dress up as cartoon characters - spiderman, batman, Ben10 or various disney princesses. Not in the spirit of WBD for a start. I know princesses come from fairy stories once upon a time (if you'll pardon the pun) but the disney-fication of them annoys me. Spiderman and batman are not even fairy stories. I do get that if you don't have much time it is easy to dig out something you already have but it does make a mockery of what they are trying to achieve.

Thankfully we seem to be down to one a year. We have had Greek and Roman days but the teachers have built up a stash of sheets so you don't even have to supply one of those any more.

IfNotNowThenWhen Sun 24-Feb-13 18:54:38

YANBU. I hate them too, and I do sew, and do have a big bag of old bits and fabric.
However, it always ends up being "wear red" (ds owns precisely nothing red) or "wear some kind of national dress from...Malawi. Or Tonga."
I can't get a 6.5 year old boy to wear half the stuff I think might work, and he refuses to wear anything on his head. Or have his face painted. Ever.
Also, I have no car and no money AT ALL for extras, so end up trawling the local charity shops, which have already been picked clean by other parents (who are we kidding-other mothers.)
I don't mind Xmas play stuff because I am sort of geared up for that, and already have bits I can adapt, and sitting sewing on a december night makes me feel festive, but 3/4 times a year is taking the piss.
And I only have one child. If I had 3 and worked full time I would be raging.

I think ds will be going as Horrid Henry for WBD. Stripey top (check) messy hair(check).

PrideOfChanur Sun 24-Feb-13 19:32:28

My extensive research for Egyptian day taught me that Egyptian children were naked till past whatever age DD was at the time....
But in October,in England? Though actually it was a freezing day and it was hard to modify the basic sheet tunic thing to ward off hypothermia.

gazzalw Sun 24-Feb-13 19:41:17

We try to go with persuading DD to wear something that we can accommodate from her extensive dressing up box but it doesn't always work. This year she bought (with her own savings) an Alice-in-Wonderland costume and DW has customized it by making her a cute, home-made, felt bag incorporating some of the pack-of-cards design elements and possibly as an add-on a small cuddly white rabbit and a fob-watch....

As SIL once said "it's relentless" and it is...no sooner have you done and dusted one round of dress-up activity than it's time for the next and more often than it it does involve buying something.

SamuelAndOscarsMummy Sun 24-Feb-13 20:22:52

My boys aren't school age yet, oldest is at nursery and the only dress up day they had was halloween and it wasn't compulsory although he did go as a pumpkin & looked really cute smile

Where on earth would you even get a tudor/victorian costume?! World book day might be fun and fairly easy but whilst I am fairly creative in the sense of ideas I cannot sew and would have no idea where to start making them look like tudors or something like that! bloody ridiculous, if this is what school is like nowadays I dread them going!

nickelbabe Sun 24-Feb-13 21:41:11

victorian costumes are the easiest of the lot.
for boys, a pair of too small trousers, old shirt. they do need a hat, and probably a jacket, but if you don't have one, then a square of black fabric knotted at the corners will do and no jacket you can be poorer and let him wear a scarf. they can wear their school shoeswith no socks (or old holey socks) and cover them in a bit of dirt for authenticity.

nickelbabe Sun 24-Feb-13 21:43:07

I always start by googling a pictureof the person/creature and go from there.
I think "can I do that with stuff I already have? can I make accessories from card or craft stuff? do I need to sew sonething?"

nickelbabe Sun 24-Feb-13 21:43:41
nickelbabe Sun 24-Feb-13 21:54:05

ha! tudor children! dd can use choir robes - the ruffs would be perfect for a tudor costume!

LahleeMooloo Mon 25-Feb-13 09:07:36

Victorian day was tough! Ds only has modern brightly coloured shirts, only hats are caps and only trousers skinny jeans! So we didn't bother!

MariusEarlobe Mon 25-Feb-13 14:20:09

Thefirstmrs

Reminds of the dd s olds school, the boy who won was very well off and last year had a huge inflatable professional costume (think the type mascots for football and big businesses wear), mum was whinging how much it cost (100s)
He won every year, made a mockery of it all and put the dampeners on for the other kids who knew they stood no chance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now