To be so frustrated with my sister in law?

(54 Posts)
ilovecolinfirth Wed 20-Feb-13 21:32:41

Ok, so my lovely...but very intense sister in law really winds me up. I feel that I cannot say anything to her, as anyone who upsets her feels the wrath of MIL. She completely interferes when it comes to my children. She buys gifts for her parents from MY children, eg she makes calendars every year with their photos on and gives them the titles "Nanny's calendar" and "grandad's calendar".

When it was Mother's Day last year she had a photo of my son printed and put in a frame which said "nanny" on it....I think it looked a bit tacky. I refuse to give presents for Mother's Day and Father's Day from my children to their grandparents as they are not the ones who sit up with them all night when they are ill, or do anything else on a daily basis. My children's names go on the same card that our names are on, therefore the gift comes from all of us. It feels though that SIL is stepping on our toes as any personal gift like that should come from us ... If we choose to.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Thu 21-Feb-13 15:58:38

I don't know anyone who gives the grandparents presents from the DCs on Mother's or Father's Day but even if this were common practice, should it be the Aunt that does this?

The wedding day stuff sounds like somebody was treating it as a family party, I bet if you try the same stunt should she get married she'll say go whistle.

Agree with everyone else who says this goes way beyond Mother's Day gifts.

fancyanother Thu 21-Feb-13 16:01:33

Does she have 'ishoos' with her DB being married with children?

Spoonful Thu 21-Feb-13 16:09:38

I think she is tying to be kind to your PILs, and she must love your DC, and it's something you should just put to one side and forget about.

LimboLil Thu 21-Feb-13 17:52:57

You know the best thing is to just ignore it, don't you. Just don't react. At all. It sounds like she doesn't have much life of her own and wants to make anything going on in yours and your OH's life about her. That can only really happen if you turn it into an issue. If you tell her to stop I can see tears, MIL drama and guess who the big bad person in all of this will be? Yep. You. lol. Leav 'em to it! I have learned over a long period that no reaction results in no drama and people like that are usually hungering for drama. You are right though. It is bloody weird.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now