To think that the "reusable nappy crew" are on par with the "breastfeeding only crew" when it comes to hysteria?

(351 Posts)
DisposableNappy Wed 20-Feb-13 21:00:40

They both come out with that old chestnut "it doesn't take extra time or energy".

The reusable nappy crew keep emphasising how much money they save. How the disposable nappy parents are "harming the environment" with their non-biodegradable nappies and baby poo.

They try to make disposable nappy parents feel bad IMO. The same way those breast feeding mad mothers do.

nickelbabe Sun 24-Feb-13 18:45:04

I'm pretty sure it stopped being about the op pages and pages ago grin

nickelbabe Sun 24-Feb-13 18:36:47

clothes horses have been linked with asthma where they are used excessively, in small enclosed spaces. and cause damp.
ours doesn't cause damp and we certainly don't use it excessively in small enclosed spces.
we also don't use it in areas where we spend a lot of time.

we have tje door open on the room that houses the clothes horse and everything dries out properly

it is a problem in some houses - the house I used to live in had a huge damp problem downstairs in the bedroom.
if either of us had suffered from asthma it would have been nasty there.

Thewhingingdefective Sun 24-Feb-13 18:34:30

Why do women who choose breastfeeding and reusable nappies always get tarred with the same brush and made out to be looking down their noses on others? I can't say that any parent I know (who all do different things) acts better than anyone else, so where is this myth coming from?

I like breastfeeding cos I didn't want to wash and sterilise a million bottles. I did also supplement with the odd bottle of formula but I am not going to pretend that it is anywhere near as good as human breast milk. I would not criticise another woman's choice of how she feeds her baby, as long as she makes an informed choice.

I use both cloth and disposable nappies. There is no denying that cloth does save money and flushing shit down the toilet is far preferable to having a week's worth of shitty nappies stinking the dustbin out. I also agree with the 'hysteria' regarding landfill full of plastic nappies refusing to rot. I feel guilty every time I put a nappy in the bin. Disposables save on laundry however and with four small children in the house that is a bonus. I justify it to myself as I only have one full time nappy wearer now who is also potty training, so I intend to stop buying disposables very soon.

photographerlady Sun 24-Feb-13 18:18:55

I read these posts and just think that OPs are just being jealous. People that BF are more likely to get ppl feeling uncomfortable (bitchy)with them then pushing their bfing on others. Same with cloth diapers. Deal with your own guilt and let ppl raise their own kids the way they want to smile

MrsKeithRichards Sun 24-Feb-13 18:05:46

I have my clothes horse in the kitchen, will stand it on the back step if it's not raining and then move in front of the log burner overnight. I dry a load a day.

I use the washing line as often as possible though in the damp dull days I don't.

IneedAsockamnesty Sun 24-Feb-13 14:02:25

It would be fairly sensible to think that drying in front of heaters or over radiators as well as not being cost effective would contribute a lot towards damp but doing so sensibly would do so to a much smaller extent.

Thumbwitch Sun 24-Feb-13 13:51:38

I just had to look up links between asthma and clothes drying (out of interest) and it appears that drying clothes indoors, thus creating a warm damp environment, can increase the amount of house dust mite in the home, a problem in people with allergies and potentially asthma.

Interestingly, using a tumbledrier on hot cycle kills a lot of house dust mite.

IneedAsockamnesty Sun 24-Feb-13 13:23:53

I have a ceiling airer in a naturally hot room, its up high out of the way a king size duvet cover drys overnight so the nappies also dry quickly.

I think for damp clothes to be an issue you would have to have lots and lots of them in a cool house so they stay damp for longer so they actually are mould inducing not ones in sensible places in drying helping conditions where mould is not a risk.

And ecoegg costs about a tenner for 3 years worth and contains nothing nasty nor damaging.

MrsKeithRichards Sun 24-Feb-13 11:49:19

How is 2 loads of washing (normal cycle at 40) a week so awful?

PolkadotCircus Sun 24-Feb-13 10:48:34

Hmmm clothes horses have been linked strongly with asthma,I'm trying to cut down with clothes which isn't easy.

I just think now with electricity prices,household prices and the need to have less wet stuff lying around environmentally and costwise there can't be a lot in it.

I read a thing once that said unless you use a nappy washing service reusables aren't as good for the environment as you might think.

I just think weighing it all up pros and cons there can't be a lot in it when you factor in the convenience factor on top.

MrsKeithRichards Sun 24-Feb-13 10:43:19

Polka I rarely use my tumble, in fact I'm sure my nappies have been through the tumble once. I dry outside as much as possible, always have. In the winter months obviously this isn't as easy so there is pretty much a permanent clothes horse in my house. Not ideal but not necessarily mould inducing. Giving that I do all this anyway, was doing it before nappies, then the nappy relegated effort really is negligible.

I formula feed but use cloth nappies. How does that fit into your stereotype?

PolkadotCircus Sun 24-Feb-13 10:05:52

Not sure the inconvenience is worth it now with sky high electricity prices,high cost of detergent(which should be Eco friendly),creams and wet,mould inducing nappies hanging around.

MrsKeithRichards Sun 24-Feb-13 10:02:37

Saving money was at the top of my list!

Thumbwitch Sun 24-Feb-13 09:34:22

I use cloth for other reasons than being an eco-warrior, tbh.

MrsKeithRichards Sun 24-Feb-13 08:33:42

This argument doesn't even exist, the op is bonkers.

GrammyPissedRUs Sun 24-Feb-13 04:30:35

Agreed, I don't remember the washable versus disposable nappy debate ever getting as heated as the Breast/formula debates on here.

I do recall such posts appearing at flare times ie weekends, full moon etc though. Shall have to bear that in mind.

ravenAK Sun 24-Feb-13 03:46:22

It's a fair point, though, wine o'clock or not!

My clothbummed 3dc are almost certainly more of a drain on the environment than someone else's disposable'd singleton, merely by their existence & projected future footprint.

This is (one of) the reasons why I didn't bang on about using washables. The other being that most people would have glazed over (if anyone was actually interested, they generally asked me about it &/or borrowed a couple to try)...

It really does seem to be an issue that exists almost entirely in OP's head.

GrammyPissedRUs Sun 24-Feb-13 03:31:03

Apologies, I recall a poster from way back who went by SockPuppet. Thought you were the same.

Interesting that people are responding to my post, I was offering the op a suggestion on how to feel less bad and turn the judgemental brigade on themselves! I forget what mumsnet is like after wine o'clock! Haha!

PurplePidjin Sun 24-Feb-13 03:22:03

1. 12yo Punto, 2-3 times a week
2. 0 - i buy from the local market. Ditto meat and eggs from the butcher
3. 0 - i can't afford a holiday, even in the uk
4. Same thing as you
5. I do and am. Why so defensive? Are you feeling guilty about something?

IneedAsockamnesty Sun 24-Feb-13 03:19:48

Sock or sockpixie will do fine, in mn language sock puppet is quite insulting grin

I quite agree,I don't care what you use neither do most of the other reusable users who have posted here

I only care when someone expects me to buy them and under those circumstances I say you can either have 20 reusables in designs of your choice plus a bucket or you can have £85 worth of what ever disposable brand you want.

GrammyPissedRUs Sun 24-Feb-13 02:45:06

So SockPuppet, the essential points are that 4. You don't judge and 5. Your attitude is live and let live so all the other points just don't apply. What you drive is none of my business and so my choice to use disposables quite often is none of yours. Have to say though, you get bonus brownie points for taking the train and for driving a lotus (family loyalty bias even if not environmentally friendly).

IneedAsockamnesty Sun 24-Feb-13 02:23:54

But I should confess I do own about 10 cars even if I hardly drive because I tend to use the train

IneedAsockamnesty Sun 24-Feb-13 02:22:16

Grammy

1. A lotus Elise most of the time
2.0 it grows in my garden
3. For pleasure none
4.nothing I never have
5. I do and don't much care how anybody else collects there child's poo

GrammyPissedRUs Sun 24-Feb-13 01:56:30

Oh I had forgotten the joys of a really controversial AIBU thread! The thing to ask the really hardcore 'it's environmentally friendly' nappy washers is
1. what car do you drive?
2. How many air miles does your organic fruit and veg travel
3. How many air miles do you travel?
4. WTF qualifies you to judge, perfection? No didn't think so.
Oh and
5. WTF happened to live and let live?

As you were.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now