To think it is ridiculous that a woman with 11 kids is getting a £400,000 house for nowt

(1000 Posts)
angelos02 Tue 19-Feb-13 09:59:59

Especially when most working people couldn't never afford to live somewhere costing that much?
Link: www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2280385/Home-fit-dole-queen-Mother-11-gets-BRAND-NEW-400-000-house-built-council-shes-struggling-current-homes.html

DreamingofSummer Tue 19-Feb-13 10:30:23

Evan Davis interviewed a councillor from Tamworth Council this morning on Today. David tried to stir things up asking about "mansions" and multi million pound houses

The councillor simply asked "What would you do with the children?" and pointed out that it was a 6 bedroom, affordable home.

That shut the smug bastard up

countrykitten Tue 19-Feb-13 10:30:30

It is very difficult. Yes she is an irresponsible and probably rather stupid woman and yes she has had far too many children - how on earth can she care for them adequately? But as others have said, we are supposed to care for inadequate people such as her with the welfare state and that is what she knows and has always known as she kept going. The men involved are likely to be absent I guess? I can't bring myself to click on the link to find out.

This is not what the welfare state was set up for however and I can fully understand the disgust and upset of others who cannot afford more children but would love them and who work bloody hard to support the ones they have. Endless benefits for endless children (has she stopped now?) is not sensible - stoppng benefits after two would make people like this think twice.

These poor children are disadvantaged in so many ways - it is very sad - and are statistically likely to become benefit claimants themselves and continue the cycle.

Viviennemary Tue 19-Feb-13 10:31:00

She has been irresponsible and selfish. And is being rewarded. There is no other way of seeing this.

KatoPotato Tue 19-Feb-13 10:31:16

...Using her womb as a clown car...

landofsoapandglory Tue 19-Feb-13 10:31:23

Well in theory she is being given the house for free, because there are five of them in that family over 18 and not one of them works! Don't tell me there are no jobs either, because I come from that area, have 2 nieces who are single parents and both have just gone back to work, one as her DS went to school, the other when her DS turned 1!

I agree they should have somewhere to live, but it is unfair. I don't know what the answer is though.

Branleuse Tue 19-Feb-13 10:31:41

the army had to do the same for my nana and her 10 kids

Chattymummyhere Tue 19-Feb-13 10:31:44

Why can the 19 and 18 year old not move out?

I want more children but I'm waiting as I will need a bigger house and bigger car.. It's a joke! That she gets given an affordable home paid for by housing so really is free, when the rest of us fork out £100's/£1,000's a month for homes which are not big enough.

I'm glad she cannot have more children since she said if she could she would still have more her attitude stinks! If she really wanted 11 children and wanted to look out for them she would of got a job brought bunk beds for every room hell you can buy triple beds. If you had a 3 double bedroom house you could put 12 kids in two bedrooms.. Leaving a double for mum and dad or mum and dad have the livingroom and then its 4 kids per room.. Many people lived like that when they have no options. Benefits should not cover people's stupidity.

Cheaper to keep them in 1 3 bed with loads of bunk beds.. You no they will never leave that house the kids will have kids and stay at home and demand bigger and bigger homes.

tabulahrasa Tue 19-Feb-13 10:32:03

Well it can't be consensual if she was 14, even if he groomed her - she' was still a child.

I read it as coincidentally went to prison for something else, but as they didn't say what I'm now cynically wondering if it was for sex offences against her, if he was a thief or a drug dealer surely they'd be sensationalising that too? If he was convicted of something relating to her they'd not mention it in case it elicited sympathy for her.

This story is just being used and slanted to get morons all fired up about social housing. The Fail obviously hunted for the 'worst' example they could find; completely ignoring the fact that lots of families get houses built and adapted for them because they are working poor/have one or more family members with SN so need particular adaptations. But let's bash the poor instead of all the greedy bastards snapping up buy-to-let and wrecking the social housing market...

mrsjay Tue 19-Feb-13 10:32:46

I always smirk at these people who are up in arms about new houses for large single parent families oh its terrible but suggest they apply for a council house and I bet some would clutch their pearls at the thought of a council house

whiteandyelloworchid Tue 19-Feb-13 10:32:58

and as for litter on here own back garden sorry but theres no excuse for that, ok maybe they can't get the fenced fix, yes it cost money, or time to get the council round to fix it

but ffs dont leave litter lying round your garden

Rhiannon86 Tue 19-Feb-13 10:33:02

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

DowntonTrout Tue 19-Feb-13 10:33:10

I have nothing against people being on benefits. I have been on benefits myself.

Unfortunately it is extreme examples like this that get people's backs up and provoke the view that those on benefits are scroungers. This woman is irresponsible at best, there are all sorts of issues going on.

While I agree the state must ensure the children are adequately housed it makes a mockery of genuine people who have limited themselves to 2.4 children or whatever as they only have the means to support that size of family. People are struggling on benefits but working families, taxpayers, are also struggling and just keep getting stung for one thing after another and seeing stories like this just makes me think that it is abuse of the social system at its worst.

Dawndonna Tue 19-Feb-13 10:33:41

Yeah, the Mail always print the exact truth of the matter, don't they.
biscuit

I don't understand how people can get aerated about this.

There are statistically very, very few families like this - they are at one very tiny end of a bell curve.

Stories like this just bring out the pious, judgemental bitch in all of us.

Rhiannon86 Tue 19-Feb-13 10:35:49

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

JassyRadlett Tue 19-Feb-13 10:36:25

Honestly? The article can't decide how old she is or how many grandkids she's got. I wouldn't give anything else in there much weight. It sounds like a sensible solution by the council - affordable homes built as part of a development, two three-bed homes freed up while this family moves into a more suitable house.

She may not sound pleasant, but the welfare system doesn't get into who's deserving and who's not. The 'deserving poor' is an outdated and abhorrent concept when used to determine who gets help, because it's inevitably based on external value judgements. And it's pretty breathtaking how comfortable people are to punish children for the perceived sins of the parents, then moan because generations are stuck in a poverty trap.

Increasingly the label 'politically correct' seems to mean 'giving a shit about other people'.

catsmother Tue 19-Feb-13 10:36:46

Not surprisingly housing is a very sensitive subject.

And of course, if this has been reported correctly, that woman's appalling attitude is a scandal.

Make no mistake, she disgusts me, but IMO the larger scandal that people should be up in arms about - as opposed to criticising (albeit rightly) a minority of people who take the piss - is why there isn't a wholescale programme designed to ensure that all families - whatever their size - are housed in adequate properties. I wish I had the answer to the housing crisis but that is where people's fury should be directed. If everyone could afford a basic, properly maintained and secure home then I doubt this story would have caused quite so much outrage.

TheSecondComing Tue 19-Feb-13 10:36:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rhiannon86 Tue 19-Feb-13 10:37:46

Chattymummyhere Tue 19-Feb-13 10:38:19

She's not single she has a partner living with her. Surely one could work and still claim part benefits. Of course these stories get people's backs up there are 5 (6 if you include the 16year old) who could be working you can't tell me 4 working adults could not afford to support and provide for the whole family

frustratedworkingmum Tue 19-Feb-13 10:38:29

<yawn>

angelos02 Tue 19-Feb-13 10:39:21

It seems I am being unreasonable then. Ah well. I'd best get back to work. Sure as hell she won't.

MajaBiene Tue 19-Feb-13 10:40:09

Is she even a real person? Don't the Mail have form for using actors in these kind of stories?

I'm confused about several things in that article to be honest - does the house have 5 bedrooms or 6? Is she 36 or 37? Does she have 1 grandchild or 2?
Typical Daily Fail - so bus trying to blow a story out of proportion that they can't keep the little details consistent hmm

It is irresponsible of her to have continued to have children when she had no means of supporting them at all by herself (by that I mean no income other that state support), but as has already been mentioned, she is unlikely to be the only person in the country having a house built "for" her. These developments are happening all over - council tenants are simply being allocated houses in new developments that are more suitable than the ones they are currently living in.

This thread is not accepting new messages.