AIBU to ask if your 10 year old can make toast?

(196 Posts)
Fantail Mon 18-Feb-13 06:40:32

I would say most 10 year olds can do this, but perhaps they can't.

Yes, of course.
Why is peanut butter deemed to be better than nutella, that is the real question!

BoringSchoolChoiceNickname Mon 18-Feb-13 08:07:01

Kettles are tricky because a child's strength and height relative to our kitchen work top makes the ergonomics a nightmare, and the risks are very real and very extreme. Toaster, sure, knives, sure. But for the same ergonomics reasons, my DS (8) has only just started to get his own glass of water from the tap. Sure he could get it before, but dragging a chair across the room was a load of effort for a glass of water (and yes, the answer is clearly a step stool).

ZumbaZara Mon 18-Feb-13 08:10:25

I always keep in mind that by 16 they might leave home and need to be everything for themselves. That is that they are confident and competent because basic tasks are second nature.

I have had mine 'helping' all their lives. So I suppose that if your 10 year old hadn't made toast or anything else then you are back at the point of explaining that hot things burn and that jamming metal objects such as knives into electrical objects like toasters in a bad plan. You would need to explain that lids of spreads need to be opened and replaces at the end and that clearing up is part of the whole task.

Then you would need to stand back get on with other stuff and casually give a bit of praise and a tiny bit advice.

Yes of course they CAN but depends what they have done before.

exoticfruits Mon 18-Feb-13 08:14:25

It makes me want to go around the country liberating 10 years old and getting them cooking meals for their family!

DewDr0p Mon 18-Feb-13 08:15:13

I hadn't actually considered that my 8 yr old might be able to make toast. We tend to all eat breakfast together so I'm there anyway. Good reminder to start, I do want them all to be able to cook!

funkybuddah Mon 18-Feb-13 08:15:32

Yes they can, and pasta, tosties, fish fingers.

Dc is 11 now and regularly cooks us s proper dinner, yesterday included a apple crumble from scratch.

He loves cooking so we leave him to get on with it.

TroublesomeEx Mon 18-Feb-13 08:17:10

My daughter is 6. She can use the toaster to make toast and take the butter dish off the side. The toaster is at a height that she can reach and she knows the safety rules. She switches it on and off at the wall. I don't supervise her.

She's been responsible for making her own breakfast since she was 3 or 4 (only cereal though - didn't let her loose on the toaster then!)

My son couldn't have done it at the same age though.

I would think most 10 year olds should be able to make toast without any problems.

Osmiornica Mon 18-Feb-13 08:20:34

My 6 year old can safely make toast so yes, I would have thought a 10 year old should be able to.

Budgiegirlbob Mon 18-Feb-13 08:22:34

Definitely important to get them doing simple cooking. I remember when I shared a flat at uni, there was a girl who had never cooked in her life. We took turns in making a meal, and when it her turn she attempted spaghetti with a jar of sauce. She asked us where the special long pan for the spaghetti was kept, as it didn't fit in a normal pan!

fluffyraggies Mon 18-Feb-13 08:22:43

About the kettle thing ... (it was me that said 12/13 <twitchy>)

I know that many people are happy with their kids using a kettle younger than that. At the time i had friends saying 'oh mine do', etc...

I had a friend at primary school who had awful scaring over her body due to a bad accident with boiling water. I think it made me particularly worried about kettles and kids. My XH was always a bit hmm about me saying no to them making tea till that age.

Just one of those things. We've all got our little quirks.

YouTheCat Mon 18-Feb-13 08:39:07

I remember those wonderful days, when dd was 8 and delighted in making me a cup of coffee and toast. Now she's 18 and I practically have to bribe her to get so much as a biscuit. hmm

cory Mon 18-Feb-13 08:51:11

but fluffie, is there anything about age 12/13 that means they suddenly can't have scalding accidents? do older people never have them?

by age 11, they will be working with bunsen burners at school; I think most chemistry teachers would confirm that the main risk is nervous children moving jerkily or acting up because they are scared and unused to the situation.

MissMogwi Mon 18-Feb-13 08:51:40

My DDs are 11 and 8 and can both make toast. Probably have done from 7/8 years old really.

They can both make cakes and cookies, although I watch DD2 with the oven. DD1 is capable of making a simple meal such as pizza or beans on toast.

They can both make tea, a crucial skill in the Mogwi house. Although again I supervise DD2 with the kettle.

DS can do toast, sandwiches, and makes superb drop scones. He is 10. It now occurs to me that I have probably babied DD (6) a bit, as she doesn't do much except assembling sandwiches (she doesn't eat toast, though, so not much incentive for her smile)

DS (just 9) has been making toast for about a year. DD (just 7) hates toast and won't entertain the idea. They are both short for age, esp DS, so kettle use is some way off, DD can't reach the taps without a chair yet. Also DS has coordination issues (diagnosed). They both get involved with other aspects of cooking, baking and shopping though.

FreckledLeopard Mon 18-Feb-13 08:56:19

DD can make toast, spag bol, omelettes, roast, cakes, pancakes....she's 11 now and has been cooking for years. I think unsupervised gas hob cooking was at 8 or 9.

Kytti Mon 18-Feb-13 08:57:05

My 7 year old makes toast, pours drinks, but is not yet allowed to use the kettle, but that's mainly because there are much younger ones round her feet while she does it. My three year old was breaking up mushrooms today and stirred them into hot sauce. Can't wait 'till she can make a cuppa!

BelindaCarlisle Mon 18-Feb-13 08:57:28

WHY IS THIS AIBU

chickabilla Mon 18-Feb-13 09:00:52

My 6 year old can with the toaster. I stay in the room but he is fine. Wouldn't let him loose with the kettle though!

MrsMushroom Mon 18-Feb-13 09:01:01

My 8 year old can make a loaf of bread never mind toast!

mrsjay Mon 18-Feb-13 09:01:10

mine could at 10 well probably at 9 its a toaster not an open fire grin I know somebody who wont let her 13 yr old make hot drinks and thinks parents who do are lazy and neglectful she is a bit of a loon though

likesnowflakesinanocean Mon 18-Feb-13 09:03:59

yes she can make toast and is always asking to make a bru but usually don't entertain that due to the kettle being in an awkward place cause of plug set up, need more plugs!

fluffyraggies Mon 18-Feb-13 09:04:55

cory genuine lol.

No, there's nothing magic about 12/13 that makes them suddenly immune to scalding accidents. Thinking about it now that's probably the age it became ridiculous for me to still be stopping them blush

It may have been a work top versus their height thing too. In my defense ;)

EasilyBored Mon 18-Feb-13 09:06:48

I still use a knife to dislodge crumpets and muffins from the toaster. Ahem.

But yes, I plan on introducing DS to the kitchen as soon as hes big enough to stand on a stool. I thought the point of having children was so they could make the tea and pour the wine? *

Usual disclaimer, obviously thats not the real reason I had a child.

It was so he could do the hoovering.

WandaDoff Mon 18-Feb-13 09:11:06

I had children so they could go to the shop for me. wink

They could also make toast & tea for me by the age of 10.

the 3 yr old can't yet but I'll work on it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now