to wonder about ethnic diversity in teachers?

(105 Posts)
manicinsomniac Thu 14-Feb-13 18:45:04

I teach in a school where 100% of the staff are caucasian (but then so are approx 90% of the children, it's a very very white area).

But I went on a course today in London and there were 100 teachers there, all of whom were white. At least 2/3rds were from schools in the London area so I would have expected diversity.

As someone with mixed race children I do sometimes worry about this. Well not worry exactly, it probably doesn't matter in the slightest. But I think about it. I used to believe that the only correct way forward was total colour blin-ness but now I'm not so sure. Should we actually be encouraging more diversity in careers such as teaching rather than just taking whatever happens as being ok?

Or have I got a skewed view on things and there are actually loads of non white teachers?

And AIBU to think it might even matter?

BigAudioDynamite Fri 15-Feb-13 17:22:44
Moominsarehippos Fri 15-Feb-13 17:30:37

"Adolph Cameron said that in Jamaica, where homophobia was a big issue, school success was often seen as feminine or "gay"."

Bloody hell. God help a gay teacher...

FellatioNels0n Fri 15-Feb-13 17:36:47

Actually I can't be bothered to trawl the internet for a reliable ink but I remember reading a few years back that white working class boys do worst, across the board, in terms of academic achievement. There things can change on a hairpin I am sure, but I think if you are working class and male, (but not Asian) then you are you are screwed either way.

I wonder why?

FellatioNels0n Fri 15-Feb-13 17:38:23

Sorry, that was garbled. I don't know what happened. confused

I meant to say: I know that these things can change on a hairpin (meaning statistics are sensitive to small fluctuations)

BigAudioDynamite Fri 15-Feb-13 17:46:02

but I think if you are working class and male, (but not Asian) then you are you are screwed either way

i agree sad

i hope there are some answers, somewhere

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now