AIBU in thinking I might be a figment of my own imagination?

(176 Posts)
itsallinmyhead Thu 14-Feb-13 14:45:42

(Lighthearted --with a paranoid undertone--)

I've been on MN for about a year. I get involved in & start threads. I'm addicted enjoying the site yet I don't ever seem to be included in the group banter that comes from the evolution of a thread, despite trying to involve myself.

I think I can be quite funny this might be where the problem lies, maybe only I am of that opinion and I'm pretty much socially trained. So I'm thinking maybe I am in actual fact made not real grin

shite, I'm a social outcast, aren't I? hmm

itsallinmyhead Thu 14-Feb-13 16:05:56

Yeah, I suppose that's a perk NotQuite, but having just had a baby, I'm on maternity leave, and I suppose I miss the banter.

BrittaPerry Thu 14-Feb-13 16:24:06

Spb, yes, you do :-)

I've moved now, to the area I came from. For some reason I feel more confident round here, even meeting people I've never met before.

Of course, it helps that I don't have someone randomly shouting at me at home any more :-D

I'm teasing you - I can even remember what you look like
(which is good going for me, I usually stare at people blankly until I've met them 5 or 6 times)

SayCoolNowSayWhip Thu 14-Feb-13 17:07:06

I dip in and out, depending on how RL is going and every time I'm 'back' I'm pretty sure no one remembers me.

I am, however, the worlds best thread killer. Including ones that I have started myself....

BigAudioDynamite Thu 14-Feb-13 17:24:01

I'm the same I think (except I don't want to be in the quiche, as I am a bit of an outcast, and I like it that way). I am immemorable. And I kill threads ALL THE TIME!

I do recognise your name though

I dont recognise you. But I wouldnt worry too much. I kill threads and get ignored sometimes. You just gotta not care!

As an aside, DawnTiggas signature intrigues me. Personally I could not be arsed to think of something everytime. But they are always so witty. I enjoythem!

wem Thu 14-Feb-13 17:31:01

You have to post a lot to become known to the general MN public, or stick to your speciality topic and make a name there.

I like being unknown though, and the longer you're here, the more you realise that's the standard for 99% of posters on here.

wem, I think you are known!

I am not a stalker, promise.

wem Thu 14-Feb-13 17:35:03

However, having said that I recognise a few names on here, but mostly just the names rather than the people, iyswim. Apart from SPB, who I have actually met, at my one and only MN meet up <waves>

wem Thu 14-Feb-13 17:36:10

wannabe, nah, not proper known smile I think we've chatted cake before now?

Yes I think so smile

Seeline Thu 14-Feb-13 19:33:55

itsallinmyhead waving back!!

Wow the thread survived even after I posted how exciting grin

DrinkFeckArseGirls Thu 14-Feb-13 19:35:23

Din't worry, I get constantly ignored and/ or kill threads. I do recognise your name though. envy

DrinkFeckArseGirls Thu 14-Feb-13 19:53:19

You see!!!! hmm

SoleSource Thu 14-Feb-13 20:07:30

I have noticed you and everybody else on this thread!

Nothingg oes unoticed by me.

<spies on everybody with magic binoculars>

I know the feeling - but I'm dreadful at not recognising names from one thread to the next. It's the same in RL though, I'm awful at names and faces so I'm not sure why it would be any different on here.

PixieHot Thu 14-Feb-13 20:19:21

When I was at my most prolific on MN (under a different username), I thought that I'd become a bit more recognised, but it didn't seem to happen grin.

It's okay though, I like RL too, and I think that you have to post a lot in order to become recognised.

Whojamaflip Thu 14-Feb-13 20:26:29

I'm another one who generates tumbleweed where ever I go...

I keep telling myself its cos I'm too scared to be controversial blush

<<joins op on the anonymous bench>>

I actually recognise most of the names on this thread!

OP you are asking yourself the same questions that have occurred to me, but I have never really been brave (?) enough to post about it.

I am a bit of a thread killer myself... and I also find myself checking back through Threads I'm On to see if anyone has responded to my post and then I'm all chuffed if they have grin blush

Maybe we are all just blips on a computer screen.... oh wait....

Just post as much, or as little, as you like and make connections where you want , would be my advice.

In fast moving threads some posts do get missed - it's nothing personal.

When I was new someone sat on me shock

By the way itsallinmyhead is that your regular MN name or have you NC'd for this thread?

WhereMyMilk Thu 14-Feb-13 20:33:21

Ah, fuck it OP, have been thinking of starting such a thread as this myself...

I have been on numerous threads this week, posting either details or something I thought would help, with good knowledge of a situation, only for someone to post about 20mins later with exactly the same info. The OP then says thanks to the second person, completely ignoring me completely! sad

Was thinking of flouncing, but really, no one would notice...

SayCoolNowSayWhip Thu 14-Feb-13 20:34:15

<sits on BeerTricks>

WhereMyMilk Thu 14-Feb-13 20:34:38

Really...completely completely! Maybe an overuse of completely there! grin

<nips SayCool really hard>

Too old for that shit now, dahling wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now