To withold this information from my employers?

(51 Posts)
WelshMaenad Thu 14-Feb-13 04:49:16

Many staff at my place of work use their personal vehicles for work purposes. I completely understand, in this case, why certain information is required of them. Due to the nature of my role, and the timing of my shifts, I do not use my car in this way - I use it to commute to work, and that's all. There is no possibility of me ever having to use my car for business purposes, it just isn't in my job description.

I have been asked to supply evidence of my car insurance, a copy of my driving licence, and a copy of my vehicle MOT certificate, purely because a blanket request has been made of all staff to do so, and I am expected to comply, regardless of the fact that they do not require this information for any sane reason.

AIBU to refuse? It feels very big-brothery, thin end of the wedge-y. I have already supplied them with a lot of personal information, necessary for the CRB check that my role requires. I just think it's a bit much having to prove that my car is MOT'd when I don't use it for work and never will. Or am I being overly precious?

ZillionChocolate Thu 14-Feb-13 23:39:28

I claim driving expenses from the government. I've been told about the insurance which is required but never checked up on.

OP YANBU. I wouldn't lie about not having a car, but I might respond saying you don't have a car for business use, which of course is true given your non business insurance.

Dromedary Thu 14-Feb-13 23:23:02

I agree Ironhorse. And what about the comments that if you don't want to give this information to your employer, you must have something to hide? The point is that the employer DOES NOT OWN YOU, AND DOES NOT NEED THIS INFORMATION. Maybe in the future these posters will have points on their license or whatever, so what has that got to do with their employer, when they don't even use their car for work?

Has this trend got something to do with the view the government is publicising that anyone who is in a job should be kissing their employers' feet with gratitude?

ironhorse Thu 14-Feb-13 23:14:16

i cant believe how many people are happy to give out info about themselves when they dont know how it is going to be used - the internet has a lot to answer for.

I do use my car for work and claim expenses accordingly (LMFAO, it doesn't even cover the cost of petrol!!). Even so, we just have to sign a form stating that we are insured, MOT'd etc - they don't check up on us that we have actually done this! So in your case OP YANBU and I would tell them to shove it. Apart from anything else, having business use on your car increases your insurance premiums - why on earth would you want to do this 'just in case'??

Picturesinthefirelight Thu 14-Feb-13 23:06:53

I've just sent a letter out at work asking for this info plus other stuff we need for getting ready for RTI and eligible to work checks.
I just put in brackets if used for company business)

Picturesinthefirelight Thu 14-Feb-13 23:05:14

Dh was asked for this info by the college he was working for. At the time he commuted on the train. He just told them he didn't have a car if his own.

Dromedary Thu 14-Feb-13 22:59:18

I agree with Bejeena.
I don't see that this is a "reasonable instruction". They should not (no guarantees obv) discipline you for not complying with an unreasonable instruction.
And they couldn't require you to use your car for business use unless this was in your contract.
My employer requires staff to jump through all kinds of hoops if they want to be able to claim mileage expenses. So you end up driving a fair bit for them without claiming the expense back. A great motivator.

RevoltingPeasant Thu 14-Feb-13 22:55:27

atacareer what do you mean, covering all bases as a responsible employer? If the OP knows she will never use her car, then fine.

On that logic, the 'responsible employer' should also make sure your home is insured for business purposes. You might do work there at some point.

You should also ensure your home PC has a work VPN on it. You might conceivably do work on it at some point.

Are you a bricklayer, a midwife? Doesn't matter, you might still be working in your living room, in some conceivable scenario.

Sorry, this is ridiculous. If the OP is not contracted to drive a car during work hours it is her business whether her car is taxed or not. Not her employers.

Welsh, I'd take a stand. Of course there are jobs where you don't need a car (I have one such). And if you do 'need a car' - er, you hire one through work then, you don't use your own...........
..........as it's not insured for business purposes!!

WelshMaenad Thu 14-Feb-13 22:46:09

Sorry, sleeping off a night shift!

No, I'm not happy with them generally at the moment, they are rising roughshod over us and I'm bloody sick of it, I suppose it's a bizarre issue to make a stand on, but it just irritated me.

No, I have nothing to hide, my car is MOT'd and taxed, I have no points on my licence, I am insured. I do NOT have business use insurance because I refuse to pay for something I don't need, so in the fairly inconceivable event I was asked to use my car for work, other than commuting, I would refuse as I would not be insured. I am j sites for SDandP and commuting use only.

Arion Thu 14-Feb-13 15:33:13

The thing is, the car insurance won't have business use on it as OP doesn't use it for business. Are they checking this and will then say you need business cover? If they're not checking this level of cover then it's purely a paperwork issue and of no relevance. They need a list of who uses the car for business to ensure hat the level of insurance is correct otherwise their insurance is as invalid as having no insurance!

atacareercrossroads Thu 14-Feb-13 14:55:38

Because they are covering all bases as a responsible employer. I always thought Id never use my own car on business, yet there I was 2 weeks ago arranging temporary insurance cover for 3 days as a favour to my manager rather than them having to shell out for taxis.

RevoltingPeasant Thu 14-Feb-13 13:45:12

careercrossroads

But the point is, the OP knows she will never need to use her car for work purposes - so why should she supply this info?

It is as relevant as asking her to prove she has up to date buildings insurance on her home, or isn't using an unauthorised overdraft at the bank.

Sure, it will probably not 'affect' her for others to know this but why the hell should she? I wouldn't. I am a dedicated employee who puts a lot into the job but I also want privacy. This is not unreasonable!

OP, I second what everyone else is saying: send a cheery email saying you must have this request in error as you never use a car for work purposes; if they push ask for a formal statement of why under DP Act.

Pigsmummy Thu 14-Feb-13 13:23:38

If you don't use your car for work related business and don't get paid any car allowances or vehicle related expenses then it isn't anything to do them however if your contract says that you must be a vehicle owner then you have to provide the details.

Seriously though why are you worried?

StuntGirl Thu 14-Feb-13 13:22:31

I agree, just ask them why they need it and how it complies with data protection. If they can give you a legit reason then you'll know, and can supply the required info. If there is no legit reason they'll either shut up and go away, or give you a good basis to challenge it on.

I'd just keep "forgetting" to bring it in. If they really need it they'll chase.

13Iggis Thu 14-Feb-13 13:13:50

My car insurance has my dh's name and details as part of it too: his also has mine. Why should I pass this stuff on if not needed? (If they are offering to pay it for you, great! Otherwise they can bugger off).
It is not precious to want to maintain some privacy.
How safely will all this information be stored by the company?

atacareercrossroads Thu 14-Feb-13 13:07:00

MrsKeith - of course an employee doesnt have to use their car unless its a contractual requirement, I don't think I said otherwise confused

And it doesnt matter that the company might have a procedure for employees to follow, some companies go a step further and make further checks to ensure that an employee who doesn't have cover doesn't use their car.

Chances are the employers are just trying to cover their backsides to make sure they keep their employees safe and themselves out of potential trouble by inadvertantly asking an employee to use their car who doesnt have cover. As I say I cant personally see the issue, I doubt the employers are looking to sell off copies of the MOT certificates.

LessMissAbs Thu 14-Feb-13 12:47:02

Possibly also a breach of your human right to family life and privacy, if they choose to make an issue out of it...

MrsKeithRichards Thu 14-Feb-13 12:40:27

Meant to add I'd you choose to drive then you need to follow procedure.

MrsKeithRichards Thu 14-Feb-13 12:39:20

Atacareer that's not true. If you don't want to, you don't have to use your car unless it's a contracted expectation.

My work prefer drivers, we do home visits however they don't state you have to drive, its not essential. You can walk, bus or bike or do whatever you want to get to visits.

Did you know cyclists came claim mileage too?

LessMissAbs Thu 14-Feb-13 12:39:10

If it isn't in your written contract or statement of employment, and hasn't been implied into by a need or history of using a car for work purposes, then I see this as a breach of the common law duty of trust and confidence, and of respect, between employer and employee.

No doubt something a non-legally qualified HR person has made up to justify themselves being in a job...

That said, you could be labelled a troublemaker if you refuse (although it might be worth it for the pleasure you might get out of it!), so I'd just say I didn't have a car while pointing out the above verbally, or changing the first and last digits on any information your provide. I'd just love to see them challenging an employee for providing slightly wrong information that they are not entitled to know!

What if you own a horse? Do they assume you may one day use your horse for work related purposes
obviously not talking about people who work for tesco here

Well you can't use your car for work purposes unless you're insured to do so. And I doubt you can claim for mileage unless you are. So it would be known in advance.

atacareercrossroads Thu 14-Feb-13 12:26:13

YABU, they have a responsibility to their employees that they check that ANYONE who may have to use their car for work purposes has adequate cover. It doesnt matter that Shirley says she'll never use her car. If Shirley has a car, and the company has a policy on car owners using their own cars for work purposes, then they have to cover all bases.

Pretty petty thing to make a stand about. Are you generally unhappy with your employers?

Bejeena Thu 14-Feb-13 11:59:24

I would just write back saying that you have assumed you received this mail in error since you don't do any work related travel in your car. Then they will either respond and say sorry our mistake, didn't mean to ask you or if they do then they will have to give you the reason.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now