To get annoyed at DH for buying me flowers

(152 Posts)
BimbaBirba Wed 13-Feb-13 21:04:03

For Valentine's... Yes one day early!
Annoyed because he dumps them on me and I need to unwrap them, get a vase, dispose of all the wrapping, cut the stems and place them
in water then clear up the mess from leaves and other bits that fall on the floor.
What a faff! I just wish he'd buy me chocolates instead!

usualsuspect Wed 13-Feb-13 21:17:20

You just have to put them in a vase, it's hardly bloody rocket science.

LAK11 Wed 13-Feb-13 21:17:36

grin....

KnittedCharacter Wed 13-Feb-13 21:17:59

Is he gonna be pissed with u when he has to take all the packaging off the chocs and open the box?

DelGirl Wed 13-Feb-13 21:18:23

leave the bastard hmm

take responsibility for the gift? what the actual fuck, it's only a bunch of flowers

BimbaBirba Wed 13-Feb-13 21:19:11

It's not just a matter of putting them in a vase. It's all the leaves on the floor, and changing the water, and finding a vase that fits and disposing of a lots of wrapping paper, and throwing them away when they're off. Shall
I go on?

Sidge Wed 13-Feb-13 21:19:27

Horatia that's quite an assumption.

Maybe he'd gone into a florists and given them his wife's favourite flowers and colours and had a bouquet made up for her?

I think buying someone you love a gift of any sort is lovely and should be received with gratitude. If you hate cut flowers and your OH knows that then it would imply a degree of thoughtlessness but if he doesn't know that you can't complain.

(I'd far rather have flowers than chocolate!)

dickiedavisthunderthighs Wed 13-Feb-13 21:19:42

YANBU
My invisible boyfriend bought me Liberty and Tiffany and then invisibly asked me to marry his hypothetical self.
I'd be fuming if I was you.

usualsuspect Wed 13-Feb-13 21:19:53

See, opening chocolates is a faff, and then all that deciding whether to eat the fudge or caramel one first.

BimbaBirba Wed 13-Feb-13 21:21:19

Chocolates give me pleasure, flowers sit idle. You can't really compare the two

aldiwhore Wed 13-Feb-13 21:21:40

I'm not sure YABU or not... DH once bought me the entire spectrum of gifts one can possibly purchase at a garage that aren't car related. That didn't excite me, but I suppose I should be grateful. (I was actually...sad that I am)

usualsuspect Wed 13-Feb-13 21:22:30

I think you are on a wind up grin

BimbaBirba Wed 13-Feb-13 21:23:23

Guess I've never had the guts to tell
him I resent him for buying them in 11 years that we've been married. Suppose I should have said it the first time. I can't really say it now, can I?

KnittedCharacter Wed 13-Feb-13 21:23:38

my thoughts exactly usualsuspect

i really hope so usual

ChewinTheFat Wed 13-Feb-13 21:23:55

YABU and ungrateful!

I spotted a massive bunch of red roses today in town, nearly bought myself them but thought that would be a bit on the sad side.

BimbaBirba Wed 13-Feb-13 21:25:19

Not at all. Why is everyone always so suspicious on MN? I genuinely wish could tell him I don't want them.

Primafacie Wed 13-Feb-13 21:25:55

LTB

BimbaBirba Wed 13-Feb-13 21:26:53

What's LTB?

KnittedCharacter Wed 13-Feb-13 21:27:28

because bimba you sound like you are spoilt! i cant believe someone wud act like that. would u have preferred him to have forgot?

BimbaBirba Wed 13-Feb-13 21:30:10

Well he kind of had forgotten actually. Today we went to see him at work with the kids who are on half term and one of them asked him what he was going to get mummy for St Valentines and he looked genuinely taken aback. Next thing he comes home from work with the flowers.

HildaOgden Wed 13-Feb-13 21:30:20

I really hope you're nicer to him than it seems by your posts,if not then maybe he got them to deliberately annoy you?Or maybe he thinks you eat too many chocolates as it is?

BimbaBirba Wed 13-Feb-13 21:32:58

I think he hasn't got a clue that he pisses me off every time he comes home with a bunch of flowers. As I said, I don't really know how I can tell him after all these years. He would think I'm the biggest hypocrite ever.

Springdiva Wed 13-Feb-13 21:33:17

I agree Bimba.
My DH buys flowers and also sends them for my birthday. But what's involved in that - phone florist, give card details, tell them what you want on giftcard - 'with love from spud'. In all it must take about 5 and a half minutes. And I"m supposed to be overwhelmed with thrilled gratitude.
The other time he buys flowers is when he has been a selfish dick and is trying to make up for his crap behaviour - I really feel like telling him to stuff them.

Can I swap your flowers for the sweet FA that my husband has got me?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now