Penistone

(130 Posts)
TaggieCampbellBlack Wed 13-Feb-13 19:12:24

[childish snort]

Imagine living in Penistone grin

Enfyshedd Sat 16-Feb-13 17:57:47

A friend of mine was once kicked off an internet chatroom for using obsence language - he was discussing place names with someone. He had to prove to the chatroom mod that there really is a place called Pantycwm in Wales before they un-banned him...

MelodyBaker Sat 16-Feb-13 16:00:49

Penistone and the surrounding areas are wonderful! The names not that funny.

Bunbaker Sat 16-Feb-13 09:33:38

Or Oxspring, Cawthorne, Hoylandswaine or Thurgoland.

MelodyBaker Fri 15-Feb-13 22:28:25

nirvannahcrane penistones wonderful! You could always meet in the middle and live in silkstone?

Bowednotbroken Fri 15-Feb-13 22:24:56

I live near Penistone too! Used to go to school there - many years ago!

onthemetro Fri 15-Feb-13 22:24:28

My mum (my MUM!) giggles at Cockfosters everytime we go on the London Underground grin

NirvannahCrane Fri 15-Feb-13 22:22:26

I live in Wakefield y DP lives in Sheffield. He wants us to move and meet in the middle. Yes, in Penistone sad

I don't want to live in Penis-tone <childish>

BikeRunSki Fri 15-Feb-13 22:19:18

We had lunch in Urine near Morzine in the French Alps once.

nooonit Fri 15-Feb-13 22:19:03

Massive double take when trawling through the threads at the "Penistone" title - greetings to fellow Penistoners! Starting to think I may know some of you, yes we were at the Panto last week too (with a beer in the interval!) and at the market yesterday!
Never think twice about the name till we have visitors (or when spelling it on the phone!) but Upperthong, that's a different matter ...

ChairmanWow Fri 15-Feb-13 22:14:48

I used to live near Wetwang. Richard Whitely used to mention it on Countdown regularly so they made him honorary mayor.

I've been through Muff on a trip to Ireland as well. My equally immature husband made me take a photo of him licking the sign. He's right classy.

Yfronts Fri 15-Feb-13 22:04:43

I drove through Wetwang the other day ...

I live near sheffield too, that would be one big meet up, theres loads of us! Theres a place near scarborough called "land of nod", we always piss ourselves :-)

5Foot5 Fri 15-Feb-13 20:53:43

There is a hill near here called Andrew's Knob

cuteboots Fri 15-Feb-13 16:43:26

My mum lives in a small village called Cuckoos Knob! Cracks me up everytime! hee hee hee

drudgewithagrudge Fri 15-Feb-13 16:21:46

I live near a camp site called Sandy Balls and not too far from us is the village of Wilsford cum Lake. Be sure to pack your wellies if you go there.

Bunbaker Fri 15-Feb-13 16:21:31

Maybe my anti-virus software doesn't like it. I have clicked on the link again and am still getting an error message.

BalloonSlayer Fri 15-Feb-13 16:16:09

Didn't the WI in Ugley have to change it name to "The Women's Institute of Ugley" as it was tired of being called "The Ugley Women's Institute" ?

There is a town in Sussex called Uckfield which is on the River Uck. The signs for the river are extraordinary, not rectangular like ordinary signs, but shaped like a fat T around the words:

...RIVER
....UCK

so that there is absolutely nowhere to add an extra letter.

One can only assume the council had grown rather tired of the constant vandalism to ordinary signs.

MelodyBaker Fri 15-Feb-13 15:41:47

Strange. Link worked fine for me.

TaggieCampbellBlack Fri 15-Feb-13 09:04:04

This has to be my longest running thresd ever!

Still makes me chuckle. As do the otherd. I'm particularly fancying Ugley.

I used to live in Cock Lane, complete with the Cock Inn, which changed its name to the Red Lion.

I also used to live near the Fawcett Inn, which provided many a smirk.

<<waves at catsmother>> I live in Colchester and used to live near Turkey Cock Lane. Fingringhoe always used to crack me up as well, that's not far from here.

Grimma - there is supposed to be another edition of The Meaning of Liff published this year. I haven't looked at it for years, but it is one of the funniest books ever IMO.

Baabaapinksheep Fri 15-Feb-13 08:54:23

I live near Wilsford Cum Lake, and yes that is how it is spelt!

catsmother Fri 15-Feb-13 08:42:52

I love that a tiny little road called Turkey Cock Lane gets an honourable mention on a thread about rude place names - we snigger each time we drive past it en route to Colchester Zoo.

Bunbaker Fri 15-Feb-13 08:38:25

That second link doesn't work. I just get an error page

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now