to think frozen mashed potatoes are perfectly reasonable?

(251 Posts)
MrsKeithRichards Wed 13-Feb-13 18:33:47

Busy day, casserole slow cooking all day so we could just come home and eat. I bought some frozen mash the other week for the first time so thought that would compliment the casserole for a quick and easy dinner.

Dh came home and you'd have thought I'd suggested eating mashed worms, the face he pulled. He declined, on the grounds it would be rank and made himself some chips to go with his casserole instead.

Ds's and I ate the mash, it was lovely and creamy, and not the food of the devil as he'd implied. He wouldn't even try it!

My frozen veg has only included peas and corn on the cob until now. But for 80p a bag (of which we only needed half of) and 5 minutes in the microwave I declare frozen mash is the future.

Aibu?

hippoherostandinghere Wed 13-Feb-13 19:00:38

Sugarice you have to let the filling cool properly before you but the mash on. That way it won't sink.

I haven't ever bought frozen mash, I always make too much mash and have a freezer full of the stuff.

Maryz Wed 13-Feb-13 19:01:25

Do be nice to each other, everyone, won't you?

The last frozen vegetable thread I was on (about broccoli of all things), went really nasty with all sorts of accusations (chav, snob) being chucked around, and eventually had to be deleted.

You wouldn't believe how upset people get about frozen veg grin

I'm Irish too, but there is one thing that I hate more than processed spuds and that's peeling the fecking things.

Foggles Wed 13-Feb-13 19:01:41

Frozen mash is brilliant. It's mashed potato that is frozen so you don't need to peel, chop, boil & mash.

It's easy to do individual portions and you don't have potato trees growing in your cupboard.

What is there not to like?

Frozen swede & mash combo even better.

It's a lot easier (and a lot less washing up) than peeling, chopping, boiling and mashing. I haven't tried the frozen stuff but use Ocado fresh mash from time to time. I agree that Smash is vile though.

As for potato ricers, yes, lovely smooth mash, but it takes ages, is messy and the holes get all clogged up. I've gone back to a normal masher.

MrsKeithRichards Wed 13-Feb-13 19:02:05

I've also got frozen spinach in the freezer!

Sugarice Wed 13-Feb-13 19:02:07

I buy all of my condiments frozen. I made a nice pasta last night with frozen pesto portions and also bought a pouch made up of Italian seasonings ready to bung into the pot.

Marvellous stuff, long live the frozen aisle!.

My elderly aunt is a big fan of frozen mash as she finds it difficult to either peel potatoes or mash them up easily due to arithritic fingers.

VerySmallSqueak Wed 13-Feb-13 19:03:25

If there is really and truly nothing in it than spuds then YANBU.

Any other ingredients then I'm afraid it'd not be something I would use (quite aside from the fact that I haven't got a freezer)

and I agree that the Waitrose range of frozen herbs, garlic, ginger etc is brilliant, also love frozen onions, just make cooking so easy.

Sugarice Wed 13-Feb-13 19:03:57

hippohero I'll be more organised and cook the filling earlier, thanks for that.

goinnowhere Wed 13-Feb-13 19:08:18

It is brilliant. Lump free so DC prefer it. Almost as cheap too. My ricer went rusty after three goes.

Ok I'm warming to the idea ( I always manage to 'peel' a bit of nail too), just don't tell me ma!

gordyslovesheep Wed 13-Feb-13 19:11:06

I buy the ready done frozen baked spuds - I can make my own but unless you crisp them up in the oven for 15 mins after microwaving them the skin is blugh

frozen ones microwave to crispy in minutes I love them grin

momb Wed 13-Feb-13 19:15:21

I freeze my own, just mashed, without any milk or butter. I freeze it squeezed flat into ziplock bags so I can snap off what I need; reheat from frozen in the microwave, then cream with milk and butter. It doesn't work if you cream it first, but just mashed and defrosted it works really well.
I can't imagine why a grown man wouldn't try something before dismissing it. At least he had the good grace to do his own chips!

MrsKeithRichards Wed 13-Feb-13 19:15:24

Ah is that the difference with the frozen bakers? If we're having them at home I'll give them a quick blast in the microwave then finish them off in the oven but for just me at lunch or at work I'll just microwave them but yeah, skin soggy!

MrsKeithRichards Wed 13-Feb-13 19:16:59

He's funny like that, just decides he won't like something and that's that! I just leave him to it.

Dawndonna Wed 13-Feb-13 19:18:42

I've never tried frozen mash and didn't know you could freeze your own. If you've frozen your own, do you just defrost and nuke?
This bloody place got me into frozen onions, brilliant for spag bol, chilli, etc. Up until then I'd only gone with frozen peppers and peas. Going to have to try the mash on the dcs.

Yanbu, also try frozen carrot and swede mash, really nice.

Cuddlyrunner Wed 13-Feb-13 20:09:18

Sugarice, where can I buy frozen pesto??? I am bizarrely excited by this prospect.
(also a recent convert to frozen mash...)

momb Wed 13-Feb-13 20:12:57

yes DawnDonna, nuke, I don't even defrost but if you have frozen it in a big block then I'd guess you need to defrost first. It's great for using up the last of a big sack of spuds (bought for cheapness) so the last few don't go soft.

I freeze batch-cooked mashed potatoes in those ikea kiddie bowls, one bowlful = two kiddie portions, or one adult. Freeze, knock out of pot, stack into zip lock bag, straight back in the freezer, when you need one bang one into the micro, blast for ooh 2-3 mins, add butter/milk, plop on plate, eat. yy to a potato ricer.

I cannae get me heid round supermarket frozen mash at ALL - I feel a trip to buy some and see what all the fuss is about is in order.

Veritate Wed 13-Feb-13 20:37:47

If I were you I'd wait a few weeks and then give him frozen mash without telling him, claiming it's been freshly mashed by your own fair hands. And then, having established that he's enjoyed it, bring out the packaging.

MrsKeithRichards Wed 13-Feb-13 22:16:34

I think he'd be more disgusted by me sneaking frozen mash than by the thought of horse lasagne!

HerrenaHarridan Wed 13-Feb-13 22:44:41

I love love love mashed potatoes.
Yabvvvvvvvu!
Bleurgh!

CocktailQueen Wed 13-Feb-13 23:13:56

Yuk - can't imagine frozen mash! But nor would I like to have a dh so critical of what I cook!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now