To think you don't let your toddler play with noisy electic games on a packed train?

(291 Posts)
Hammy02 Mon 11-Feb-13 13:14:59

Or any train for that matter. I was on jam packed train at the weekend (no spare seats, aisle full of people standing up) and one woman was sat with her small child playing with a toy that said 'triangle', 'square' etc when the kid pressed each shape. I was a couple of seats in front & could hear it! AIBU to think this was utterly selfish of the mum? Other people were giving her the evils but she seemed oblivious.

ubik Wed 13-Feb-13 14:49:31

On long journeys we will do a range of activities (provided we get our reserved seats and aren't left to sit on floor o/s toilet) these include colouring, drawing,listening to story tapes - but I do remember how hard iot is to entertain a toddler - too young for story CDs, can colour but quickly loses interest - playdo is a good option - but pens get knocked on floor, drawing gets frustrating quickly and a toddler will let you know in a vocal way. Sometimes an electronic toy which happens to be noisy is the best option in a stressful situation as the alternative is crying/constant questions.

ubik Wed 13-Feb-13 14:54:05

Think about how people bitch on here about 'loud parenting' - and yet I often do this on long journeys - we might play Uno, or Ispy or test the kids on timestables or whatever and it is noisy. We are not precious or worthy parents, just normal people but I think other passengers would find this annoying.

Frankly I've given up caring what others find annoying.

tethersend Wed 13-Feb-13 15:00:51

TRIANGLE

VinegarTits Wed 13-Feb-13 15:15:41

this is one of them goady freds init?

op how your enjoying sitting back and watching the buns fly

VinegarTits Wed 13-Feb-13 15:16:44

*hope

bored of JK in the afternoon?

usualsuspect Wed 13-Feb-13 15:18:13

Op legged it long ago grin

ubik Wed 13-Feb-13 15:20:57

"Well done darling, yes it is a triangle, how clever, you are only 3 aren't you darling...darling?...yes we can play on mummy's phone in a minute - can you say paralelogram? can you say it? Can you remember to say it at nursery?

VinegarTits Wed 13-Feb-13 15:21:22

yup i noticed grin

nilbyname Wed 13-Feb-13 15:22:07

I am putting my gannies silver on it that this was a AIBU in reverse but the op got scared and left.

tethersend Wed 13-Feb-13 15:26:47

SQUARE

PrideOfChanur Wed 13-Feb-13 15:28:03

grin ,ubik! One of my DM's friends was a Physics lecturer - her eldest was famous for producing "diffraction grating" at nursery in response to something looking for dog/cat/pig type answers!

PrideOfChanur Wed 13-Feb-13 15:28:55

Brilliant, tethersend - you are really good at those shapes,aren't you?

MrsFruitcake Wed 13-Feb-13 17:56:02

Maybe she was so tired and stressed, the mother just didn't care. When a toddler gets bored, it's really hard to keep them quiet and surely a noisy toy is better than a surly, screaming child? If the train was very busy, then it will have been noisy anyway.

I still find it hard to entertain DS aged 5 on long journeys and I find it very stressful. Flights are always the worst, and I spend all my time trying to keep him quiet which is totally exhausting and very labour-intensive.

I think YABU to be honest.

tethersend Wed 13-Feb-13 18:51:44

CIRCLE

nilbyname Wed 13-Feb-13 19:35:55

Squircle.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!

LAK11 Wed 13-Feb-13 21:16:22

Should we channel ODFOD? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now