To want to move as we have no garden?

(39 Posts)
CityMa Mon 11-Feb-13 10:06:10

We rent a fairly small, first floor, 3 bedroom flat in a lovely area in a great city (not London). We are extremely close to lots of green space including a huge playground, plus shops, library, museums etc. We have two children, a baby and a preschooler. In this area we could only afford a house with garden if we went down to two bedrooms. The other disadvantage would be that the tenancy might be less secure, and the rent would probably be a bit higher. Schools are good, and the preschooler already goes to nursery attached to local school (2 mins away).

I just find having no garden to be a real problem day to day. To get outside we have to go on an outing, albeit a small one,every time. I find it such a pain (literally!) every day getting in and out living on the first floor with the buggy, shopping, changing stuff etc. I have a bad back which doesn't help matters.

DH isn't so bothered by it, but I long for the kids to have a garden to potter around in, and to be able to push the buggy into the house when the baby is asleep! I know we're lucky to have what we have, but AIBU to want to move? Or are gardens overrated?

tinygreendragon Mon 11-Feb-13 14:19:12

I lived in a flat with no outdoor space up until 6 months ago when I moved into my house with a small garden and I could never live without outdoor space any more. Being able to just wander out the back door and have a cup of tea in the sunshine is blissful. Plus being able to grow my own herbs and other food stuffs is saving us money in the long run and highly rewarding. smile

MrsKoala Mon 11-Feb-13 14:22:15

We moved last year to a house with a garden. Spent 2k on sorting it out (overgrown, tree stumps, no grass etc). I was heavily pregnant and wanted somewhere to go with the baby. It turns out as the only house on the street with no pets all the local cats use it as a toilet. Don't bury anything, lawn covered in turds all the time. The smell is so foul in the warm weather we can't even open patio doors because of the smell. Complete waste of time and money. angry

PrincessScrumpy Mon 11-Feb-13 14:26:44

We have a garden that is ok but too small for big trampoline and lots of running. We have a play house, tiny shed, slide and space for a picnic and paddling pool, however, we're about to make it smaller as we are putting a conservatory on the back. The above will still fit but be more crammed in. We've decided that as most of the year it's raining we may as well use the space all year round.

We looked at bigger gardened houses but for our budget, the houses were smaller as we have 3 double bedrooms and most have tiny 3rd bedrooms.

It's about balance and what works for you. We do live about 2 minutes walk (at toddler pace) to the park though.

AbyCat Mon 11-Feb-13 15:57:10

Move - we've just done the same, gone from a large 3 bed flat to a complete wreck of a house that is probably going to bankrupt me but it is so worth it to be able to park right outside my door, wheel the buggy in and not have to wait for DH to get home to lug the buggy & all the shopping up the stairs as I can't leave the DC alone in the flat while I do that, and we couldn't leave buggies or shopping in the downstairs hallway of the block of flats at all.

We did move away from our area though to get the 3rd bedroom, but as DC isn't in nursery/school yet, it's not so much of a problem.

CityMa Mon 11-Feb-13 16:31:27

Thanks again all. Reading these replies I am really reminded of why I want a garden so much, and to have a ground floor entrance. The idea of moving with a baby and 3 year old is exhausting, but perhaps it would be worth it. Would have to either a) move out of this area and move DS preschools or b) drop a bedroom.

Any thoughts on these two options?! Everyone's been so helpful so far smile

valiumredhead Mon 11-Feb-13 16:33:01

I'd drop a bedroom if the two dcs can share. A garden is more useful imo.

valiumredhead Mon 11-Feb-13 16:34:03

Oh if it's only pre school then I would move, are the schools ok if you move area?

Timetoask Mon 11-Feb-13 16:50:41

Do you have boys? Garden is great, thy love kicking a ball!

CityMa Mon 11-Feb-13 16:59:11

Yup, three year old is a boy. Think he would love a garden tbh which compounds the guilt!

Valium- schools would depend on area we move to, but probably good as they are mostly pretty good in this city. Will have to have a big think!

valiumredhead Mon 11-Feb-13 17:03:24

Jus move then - don't stay for a pre school that he will be leaving anyway soon to go to school! In fact, better to do it now so he can start primary with his mates.

miemohrs Mon 11-Feb-13 17:16:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StanleyLambchop Mon 11-Feb-13 17:40:46

I would move to get a garden, kids get so much out of them, one of mine was out today pottering around in the sleet!! But then iIwould quite happily squish my family into a broom cupboard if it came with a couple of acres attached!!!

EvenIfYouSeeAPoppy Mon 11-Feb-13 17:42:42

Move out of area, but check the local schools first to make sure there's an option you could live with.

CityMa Mon 11-Feb-13 21:33:46

Thanks all. Yes, I think either staying put or moving out of the area are the best options. No point really moving somewhere smaller around here, even if it would come with a garden.

DH still saying he would probably prefer to stay put - maybe I should show him this thread!

Thanks again for the advice smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now