'Housewife' - derogatory?

(102 Posts)
eatssleepsfeeds Sat 09-Feb-13 18:26:03

This has probably been done to death in times when I hadn't discovered MN joy. So sorry in advance for the yawn.

I was at the opticians today. The 25 yr old optician (I'd say) asked me what my occupation was. I've got 2 teenies but my DH was looking after them outside. I said I look after my 2 children all the time now. I used to be a solicitor. She said, 'Ummm, I'll say housewife then.'

This isn't the first time someone's said this.

I accept I'm a wife and that I'm in the house quite a lot. But I feel that there is a difference between being a SAHM and being a 'housewife' - looking after children, namely.

CabbageLeaves Sun 10-Feb-13 16:26:12

It's interesting that I can think of names used for grouping women (single mothers, housewives, ladies who lunch) but can't really come up with equivalents used so often for men?

I know you can replaces the female term with a male version but they just aren't used as widely are they?

HappyMummyOfOne Sun 10-Feb-13 18:53:01

If you dont like housewife then just put not in employment. I think housewife is fine as a term though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now