Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

... to think MN advertising ALCOHOL is absolutely irresponsible?

(200 Posts)
TurquoiseTranquility Thu 07-Feb-13 18:34:47

Just got my weekly 'parenting news' email from MN and was appalled to discover it features an advert of a "new lower alcohol" wine hmm. I never thought I was much of a snob (I'd hope not, anyway! confused) but I do think that for a family-oriented website to advertise alcohol is not just inappropriate, it's kind of hypocritical. Especially as some of MN users may be struggling with alcohol addiction, or being victims of their family members' drinking and related issues. I mean COME ON, a 5.5% alcohol wine isn't exactly some sort of an "alcohol replacement therapy" product angry! AIBU?

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Fri 08-Feb-13 12:48:39

I made the mistake of bought some fizzy wine once that seemed such a bargain, had people over for dinner and kept topping up our glasses, drank shedloads and got quite worried about my increased tolerance to booze then I realised that it was %5

fromparistoberlin Fri 08-Feb-13 11:38:30

wine

yabu

Blatherskite Fri 08-Feb-13 10:42:37

Becool the Blossom Hill stuff they're advertising and we tested is 30% lower calorie as well as low alcohol.

Pigsmummy Fri 08-Feb-13 10:35:37

YABU

BeCool Fri 08-Feb-13 10:20:18

Like many other people I "Suffer" from excessive weight.
It's bloody cruel and necessarily harmful of MN to advertise sweets, chocolate anything like that. It really encourages my addition - it's bad for my health/heart etc.

I'm too poor to go on even a cheap a summer holiday. It's really irresponsible of MN to advertise expensive luxury family holidays that I'll never be able to afford. Do they want me to feel like a rubbish parent? It's bad for my mental health.

etc
etc
etc
(tongue in cheek)

Or we could all just be grown up.

My objection to the wine advertising it is's low alcohol - bleugh! What is the point in that grin wine

Altinkum Fri 08-Feb-13 10:09:11

I think your mental, maybe have a few glasses and lighten up!

MN is NOT a family orientated website, its specifically for adults. Not children.

manicbmc Fri 08-Feb-13 10:09:03

I am supposed to be swabbing the house now but keep being distracted by MN and kittens.

mrsjay Fri 08-Feb-13 10:08:38

I like the idea of a house swab...

My house could do with swabbing

and mine blush

MrsWembley Fri 08-Feb-13 10:07:26

I like the idea of a house swab...

My house could do with swabbing.wink

manicbmc Fri 08-Feb-13 10:06:50

Drunk, in a corner? grin

ShakeWellBeforeOpening Fri 08-Feb-13 10:06:18

Where's the OP ?

manicbmc Fri 08-Feb-13 10:00:11

Well, it's Friday and the wine is already in my fridge, chilling. grin

mrsjay Fri 08-Feb-13 09:59:42

mighT* jeez my typing today

mrsjay Fri 08-Feb-13 09:59:26

swap* obviously blush

mrsjay Fri 08-Feb-13 09:59:14

oh maybe they could stop those fab house swab adverts i dont have a fab house and it night offend poor people wink

mrsjay Fri 08-Feb-13 09:58:22

I once picked up a bottle of low alcohol echo falls It is called cafe collection so you can all look out for it, was on the same shelf as normal wine I was gutted when discovered that night, bloody hell it tasted like ribena hmm

LadyFace Fri 08-Feb-13 09:52:46

Is this sour grapes as you did not get a free bottle? We are all adults and can make up our own minds. Perhaps we should ban car adverts in case someone has pranged their Ford Fiesta?

WorraLiberty Fri 08-Feb-13 09:51:48

"New lower alcohol wine" hmm

Disgusting!

That's like advertising "New lower chocolate, chocolate".

Why would they?

How could they?

Mumsnet, sort it out shock

mrsjay Fri 08-Feb-13 09:46:33

mumsnet isn't family website it is an adult website and adults drink I guess they are being responsible as it is low alcohol and basically grape juice grin

photographerlady Fri 08-Feb-13 09:45:22

My ads feature gaming as I play a lot of computer games and visit MMO sites. Maybe you enjoy alot of drinking and the ads are catering to your interests. Blame google smile

Blatherskite Fri 08-Feb-13 09:40:03

I tested the low alcohol wine. Schloer with a hint of wine was a good analogy. I liked it. Drank the whole bottle. It was free wine!!

It's already been said but complaining about advertising low alcohol wine on a site which features a wine emoticon, a weekly drunk thread, endless bumsex threads and a shit load of swearing is just daft.

and "your post makes you sound three stops short of Daggenham" has to be my favourite response to a stupid post ever grin

ScumbagCollegeDropout Fri 08-Feb-13 03:38:02

Maybe the OP is thinking of all the underage parents. The 13-17 year-olds.

Don't worry about them OP. They are on that other site wink

Perhaps you would feel more comfortable over there?

Morloth Fri 08-Feb-13 02:03:12

Mumsnet is family oriented? !

Very irresponsible though, advertising such a product is going to encourage the producers to make more.

Why would anyone want low alcohol wine? Surely the alcohol is the point of wine?

TurquoiseCat Fri 08-Feb-13 01:28:01

Have to say, to complain about advertising wine on a forum that features a weekly drunk thread is hilarious.

And also, although I am a turquoise, I am in no way related to the OP I hope grin

morethanpotatoprints Fri 08-Feb-13 01:20:12

wine wine wine wine

wine

wine wine wine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now