to be horrified at the names my daughter has given her children?

(165 Posts)

DD is 3.7 and has been playing mummies today. Apparently she has 2 babies.

The boy is called Egg-in-a-cup and the girl is called Ice-cream-in-a-cone. confused

The poor dears will be bullied mercilessly. And clearly they'll be held back by these names, I mean they're hardly the names of a doctor or a lawyer.

AIBU? grin

shrinkingnora Mon 11-Feb-13 19:36:21

Friend had a bear called Washable. Because it said on the label 'This bear is washable' grin

openerofjars Mon 11-Feb-13 20:08:19

<waves at Lacks>

we did use Eva as one of her names though

FakePlasticLobsters Mon 11-Feb-13 20:25:13

I used to have, actually I still have, a yellow bear called Oh No!

The exclamation mark is part of his name.

DS has a bear called Ken Next Door.

CorrieDale Mon 11-Feb-13 21:25:32

My dd's toys all have extremely literal and dull names. Like London bear, Irish bear, kitten, etc. She is however going to change her own name when she gets married. To Fiona.

CorrieDale Mon 11-Feb-13 21:32:24

Also, her hands are called Handy and Mandy. They have distinct personalities. As hands do.

JugsMcGee Mon 11-Feb-13 21:43:47

DS has rather imaginatively named his dolly "baba". Maybe it's short for Babouska? grin

My DS had a doll called 'Egg' from the age of 2-4. He also has pink and white, the pink and white guinea pig and Daisy the andrex puppy.

My sister had an imaginary friend called SisterBloke outs self

I had a doll I named December. I actually still quite like that one.

I had guinea pigs when I was six, two sisters and one of them had a baby girl. My dad named the sisters Penguin (the black and white one) and Biscuit (the brown one) and asked what I wanted to call Biscuit's baby. I went for Mary hmm but he persuaded me into calling her Crumb. grin

DoIgetastickerforthat Mon 11-Feb-13 23:53:35

When asked DS3 will introduce himself as Donkey Kong.

DS's 12&3 all agreed that the new baby should be called Princess Peach... Katie Price, I am not, so she has a sensible name.

MeanAndMeaslyMiddleAges Tue 12-Feb-13 01:33:37

I used to have a toy rabbit called Nesbitt. His full name was Rabbit C. Nesbitt.

MerryCouthyMows Tue 12-Feb-13 01:50:25

My Dbro had a stripy teddy that I won at a fair and gave to him when he was about 18mo. (10 yr age gap). He called it dancey bear. He still has dancey bear. He said that the rainbow stripes made it look like it was dancing.

I was singularly unimaginative as a child. My favourite teddy was a grey mouse that I had been given one Easter. Hence the name "Easter mouse" Boring fart that I was and still am

Still have Easter mouse, though he was fostered by DD when she turned 2yo, and formally adopted by DD on his 20th birthday...

MerryCouthyMows Tue 12-Feb-13 01:56:56

When I was pg with DS1, my then 3yo DD, and my friend's 3yo DS were having a discussion with me over possible baby names. DD was insistent that my baby was going to be called Bubbles. For a girl OR a boy. Because it was a "Unicorn (unisex) name, for girls AND boys" And my friend's DS thought that Dragonblood was a perfectly 'unicorn' name for boys or girls too.

Strangely enough, neither name made the short list. For which DS1 is eternally grateful.

I'm starting to wonder if 30 month old DS1 lacks imagination. His IKEA doll is known as 'baby' and, despite my eager promptings when pg with.DS2, baby has never been put to bed, dressed up, cuddled or fed, and is instead genially ignored. As is his attitude towards his new baby brother, which is quite convenient smile

At his age I had a soft-toy tiger, called Nutty "because he likes nuts." no idea how I knew that but I was absolutely certain.

piprabbit Tue 12-Feb-13 02:43:45

*blackcurrants, my DS's boy doll is also called Baby. He thought long and hard about that one grin.

DS also has a Build a Bear bear who is the world's first gay superhero bear - very pink, very fluffy, named Captain Bare Bear and wears a body hugging superhero outfit (with matching gimp mask) when not hanging around the house in the nude. His DGM was mortified when she took him to BaB and he came home with Captain, but we have welcomed him to our familial bosom.

HeyMicky Tue 12-Feb-13 03:21:40

For ease of reference all of DD's toys are called Dave. She can change each later as she chooses (she's 5 months), but I like the idea of a small blonde girl solemnly informing Grandma that, yes, this one, too, is called Dave

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now