to be horrified at the names my daughter has given her children?

(165 Posts)

DD is 3.7 and has been playing mummies today. Apparently she has 2 babies.

The boy is called Egg-in-a-cup and the girl is called Ice-cream-in-a-cone. confused

The poor dears will be bullied mercilessly. And clearly they'll be held back by these names, I mean they're hardly the names of a doctor or a lawyer.

AIBU? grin

Lookingforthebrightside Thu 07-Feb-13 19:08:35

My DDs have named their dollhouse family Pete & Shelly and their kids are Luke & Layla.

manicbmc Thu 07-Feb-13 19:09:01

My dd was called Shitty Arse for a good few months. grin

She isn't a high court judge though.

PastaB Thu 07-Feb-13 19:09:47

lookingforthebrightside you've just reminded me that when my DSis and I were small we insisted we were twins called Kelsey and Kassie??!! shock

AThingInYourLife Thu 07-Feb-13 19:09:53

grin @ fried egg bap and jammie dodger!

DD (3.8) has a doll called Wee Wee Baby.
She also wanted to call DD2 Morrisons because she got a packet of Skittles in there once & it made her happy.
Today she asked if Bollocks was a girl or boy name.
I'm going to be a very embarrassed Granny.

chibi Thu 07-Feb-13 19:12:07

i thought my girl was the only one - her dolls were called Butty and Cruddy (she was 2.5)

insanityscratching Thu 07-Feb-13 19:16:53

In Build a Bear dd insisted that her bear be called Sheila and couldn't be dissuaded. The bear joins dolls Baby Jesus, Roger and Gloria.
I've no idea where the names come from as we don't know people with these names.

DS2 was devastated and sulked for a good few days when he discovered DS3 wouldn't be named Sonic.

We did used to have a cat called Peas-in-a-can-pie, and his brother Alan... Both of them were old gents and passed away, w now have 3 little girl cats called Long cat, Black and Ginevra ... I should maybe stop letting the kids name things.

FreakoidOrganisoid Thu 07-Feb-13 19:17:18

dd has dolls Benjamin, Norman and Jasmine. I preferred
it when ds used to call jasmine 'jazz man'. His own doll is bobby.

Lookingforthebrightside Thu 07-Feb-13 19:26:53

PastaB when I was little I decided that being as I didn't have a middle name I would give myself three middles names to make up for my parents neglect on the naming front;
they were Lucy, Elizabeth and Diana!! Not sure where Lucy came from but I was obsessed with the royal family, truly a child of the 80's!

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Thu 07-Feb-13 19:31:47

beanie bob and bess were DS2's beanie dolls names, he used to carry them round in a backpack soft seat. some people were ahhh some were [hmmm] cos he was a boy with dolls. we still have them and all their outfits he is 16

Haylebop12 Thu 07-Feb-13 19:40:50

Dd (4) has Lucy, bigger (because its bigger, obv) and aladin peach.

I do wonder if she's mine hmm

grin

openerofjars Thu 07-Feb-13 19:47:26

Only one of DS's dinosaur toys has a name: his Armargasaurus is apparently called Brian. And now he's dropped the bombshell that Brian is actually his son. I really hadn't planned on being a grandmother just yet, but we're adjusting quite well really.

DS2 hasn't named any of his toys although he has christened the laundry hamper "Mr Mocha" hmm

FooffyShmoo Thu 07-Feb-13 19:50:10

My two tiny plastic grandchildren are called Oogi and Chubbly. Lovely they are too.

FellatioNels0n Thu 07-Feb-13 19:51:07

When I was her age I had a teddy bear called Jesus.

badtemperedaldbitch Thu 07-Feb-13 19:51:24

Every toy dd had was called rosie or some forms - rosebud, rosella, rose etc

She even named the cat......rosie

NumericalMum Thu 07-Feb-13 19:52:56

A friend of my DC used to bring her dolls to nursery. They were all called "Beer"!

DeepRedBetty Thu 07-Feb-13 19:56:01

We were all asked to come up with a name for my youngest sister just before she was born. Pre-scans, so we each had to choose two names. My mum and dad chose the two they like best, and that's what she's called.

sarahtigh Thu 07-Feb-13 19:58:26

unfortunately or fortunately DD is very literal so 1 doll is "DOLL" and the other "DOLLY" she has 4 teddies I have tried to get her to name them but no joy they are daddy teddy, pink teddy, fluffy teddy and squigglet which puzzled me for ages as to why it had this unusual name I even googled it to try and find it but it is a mispronunciation of the cbeebies scribbler / squibbler

marriedinwhite Thu 07-Feb-13 20:04:12

Puddlejumper I have found someone else with a Christmas Day baby. Ours is 18 now grin. One of the midwives said "oh, you could call him Jesus". We still snigger about it now. He was almost a month early so we were totally unprepared and hadn't even thought about Xmas names - he wouldn't have got one anyway I don't think

Love all the wittiness and wish I could join in but when I was a little girl I had a rabbit called bun rab and a budgie called birdy. sad.

might be outing myself here, but as a child I had a doll called Table grin

SingingSands Thu 07-Feb-13 20:06:39

Well, she should be praised for her creativity and originality!

ALL toys in this house are called either Max or Katy. Yaaaawwwwn.

grin

Lafaminute Thu 07-Feb-13 20:09:20

What a great imagination she has - her outlook will probably change over the next 20 years

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now