To think there are worse pains than labour?

(346 Posts)
coraltoes Thu 07-Feb-13 15:37:54

Having recently badly broken a bone WIBU to say actually, it hurt a fuckload more than giving birth? I honestly thought nothing could hurt more than labour, but lo and behold something did! (for less hours admittedly but nothing amazing to cuddle at the end). The bone had to be pulled back into place with gas and air and a local block, which made me nearly vomit.

Come and share with me your injury horrors and tell me whether they trumped your labour pains. please do not thik i am trying to undermine ladies with horrendous labours, i am sure some of you would put me to great shame :D

TooManyDicksOnTheDancefloor Fri 08-Feb-13 21:32:45

I've had a tooth abcess and I've had two compacted wisdom teeth pulled with local anaesthetic. I've also broken my wrist, fingers and nose. All very painful but not a patch on my very recent labour. I was lowing (as in the cattle are), fully dilated for five hours at home, then transferred to hospital in an ambulance for a c section. You definately forget how painful labour is, I did, hence the homebirth decision.

grumblinalong Sat 09-Feb-13 15:56:02

I've had broken bones, meningitis, sinusitis and 3 vaginal births but nothing was as bad as getting my 3rd degree tear repaired by a (bitch) student doctor who didn't realise that lidocaine takes 5-10 minutes to work so injected then stitched immediately. I will never get over the memory of that hook needle threading through my bits. Never. I couldn't hear anything even though I was screaming and the room turned a bluey green colour. Shudder.

LaQueen Sat 09-Feb-13 16:03:05

Hell Yeah...

Try having a c-section, then having the spinal block wear off completely, and then be fobbed off with fucking aspirin as the only pain relief for nearly 5 hours, because the nurses couldn't get a doctor to write me up for morphine.

Major abdominal surgey...followed by zero pain relief, afterwards. Anyone fancy trying that on for size? Anyone? Anyone?

My labour was easy, so most pain has been worse. My mother had 2 60 odd hour labours and assures me that her gall stones, cracking her skull, dropping a caravan on her already broken foot and hospital cutting out an infected part of her arm having had a mix up on who was giving anesthetic (so, nobody did) were all much worse. On the whole, I believe her.

Zara1984 Sat 09-Feb-13 16:09:24

OUCH LaQueen confused

For me, nothing, absolutely nothing on earth was as bad as my labour. And I've had a horrendous knee dislocation and very ouchy teeth issues.

Before they gave me the epidural, I thought to myself that this must be what dying in a car crash was like. Or being ripped open with a machete. confused

Zara1984 Sat 09-Feb-13 16:13:16

This thread proves for me definitively that labour is different for everyone. And not because (according to MIL) I have a low pain threshold. Am shock and jealous at those who said toothache was worse than labour. Toothache!! My stars...

andrea69 Sat 09-Feb-13 16:17:35

I had a UTI and the pain from that was worse than my labours.
Also had to have an ultrasound on my ovaries 8 weeks after a C-Section, she pressed so hard I nearly jumped off the trolley and punched her in the throat!
She did say it would hurt though.

aaaaagh Sat 09-Feb-13 16:33:04

The stitches afterwards were worse than actually giving birth!
I still remember the pain of having my nose cauterised when I was a child. That really hurt and it didn't work either - I was still a little bleeder afterwards.

natural drug free labour with 4th degree tear... worst pain I thought I would ever experience.

Gall stones - the actual pains were more than contractions, but less intense than the tearing.

I'd rather go through the birth again. At least I got a baby at the end of it.

willesden Sat 09-Feb-13 17:03:44

After giving birth to two babies, I had gallstones and I really though the pain would kill me. It was like I had been shot. So, I agree. Some pain is worse than labour.

pmTea Sat 09-Feb-13 17:03:54

OP that sounds horrendous shock

My worst ever experience was when I was 18 - my parents' friend was a plastic surgeon, who gave me almost free liposuction on my upper thighs (yeah well, it seemed so important at the time!)
Except that the local anaesthetic (about 20 burning, stinging injections into each thigh - bad enough) didn't work and so I felt about 75% of the actual suctioning fat procedure (they had to carry on by that time because the local anaesthetic is toxic and has to be aspirated out and can't be left in the tissues...)
I'm 41 now and can still remember the sounds of the suctioning, the searing pain in my thighs and the absolutely disgusting look of the cellulite/blood/guk as it entered the cannister near my couch.
I was in so much pain I nearly passed out.
WTF they couldn't have given me an effing epidural or something, I don't know...and I was too young and inexperienced to ask.
Never again!
Sorry about the gore.

OhWouldYouJust Sat 09-Feb-13 17:08:24

Yadnbu!!

Labour was painful but nothing compared to the ruptured ovarian cyst I had last year or the kidney infection I have right now sad

Thank god for my DH as I'm not sure I would cope without him at times like this.

maxmillie Sat 09-Feb-13 17:11:02

Everyone is different I suppose and my personal pain stories go: (worse to least awful but still bloody painful)

Labour with dc2 (quick and brutal, back to back), gas and air
labour with dc1 (shoulder dystocia, gas and air)
Ear infection after perforated eardum
Worse migraine
Running marathon
labour with dc3 (gas and air)
Toothache

Have only snapped ligaments and tendons, no broken bones, and don't remember that being too bad.

I am quite ok with pain, fairly hardcore. Labour is by far the worse pain I have ever experienced and I am always amazed (and jealous) of people who say it didnt hurt that much.

kiwigirl42 Sat 09-Feb-13 17:13:07

slipped disc pain is excruitiating - couldn't even roll over in bed for 6 wks

Migraines can be unbearable - not surprising that 40% of people with chronic daily migraine commit suicide ... I'm hanging on in the 60% but its very difficult some days

I found labour easy as the pain was not in my head, was no worse than period pain and was intermittent. I wasn't laughing when my perineum tore though. Ouch!

zukiecat Sat 09-Feb-13 17:20:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ChocHobNob Sat 09-Feb-13 17:24:53

Another gall stone sufferer here. I thought I was going to die ... or wished I would. It was constant hellish pain. But then I've never been in labour to compare it to. I had c sections.

MrsWinklepicker Sat 09-Feb-13 18:09:24

Once snapped my femur in two and it was over 24 hours before it got pinned back together... As I was dropping off to sleep, while it was still being held in place by a splint, my muscles spasmed and the subsequent screaming woke the whole ward and a nurse came rushing in with the biggest syringe of morphine you've ever seen to plunge into my thigh.

Personally I'd take labour any day (have had two btw) smile

I'd gladly do labour daily rather than have migraines.
Weirdly, since having DCs though, I havent had a single migraine...?

lunabay Sat 09-Feb-13 19:33:54

Well in my last birth my uterus ruptured, an epidural did not mask the pain so had spinal too, then due to crash situation was put under GA and although I have no memory of it thank god, apparently during the ceasarian I was still writhing in pain.

Woke up in so much pain, it hurt when DP tried to hold my hand!Felt like I had been run over by a bus repeatedly. Took three days of topping up painkillers before I stopped feeling like I was dying with pain.

Springdiva Sat 09-Feb-13 19:36:27

Hmm, well first birth was followed by dire constipation, and baby had colic so not much sleep for weeks.

I think I'd prefer a broken bone you are given pain killers and sleep to recover.

dondon33 Sat 09-Feb-13 19:56:27

Arghhh!! Bunnyjo I sympathise hugely with you - I'm sorry you know that HORROR.

Deselby Please try not to worry - apparently it's very very rare (So usually that means it will happen to me sad) I know many people who've had there's out with zero problems and have recovered well.
That gall bladder must come out hun or you're in for constant suffering.
I'm ok now some 12 years later but initially after I had to have another op to repair the damage and a stent placed in the bile duct to keep it open - it's since gone AWOL hmm and after a few episodes of pain it's all calmed down again - but I repeat...Living with the pain of gall stones is NOT an option.
Good luck with the op - hope you're back on your feet in no time.

firefly11 Sun 10-Feb-13 12:15:53

Food poisoning stomach cramping non stop for 7 days. That was what I had many years ago and that was worse than any labour pains I'd ever been through - and I've had 3 kids!

lisad123everybodydancenow Sun 10-Feb-13 12:18:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Montybojangles Sun 10-Feb-13 12:22:19

Gallstones, definitely worse, much worse (and no baby to cuddle after, just a urine pot with some pebble in).

LJBanana Sun 10-Feb-13 21:59:29

I poked myself in the eye today with a mascara wand and announced (dramatically) that it was worse than labour. It was brutal. I've also been attacked with a motion sensor air fresher, which was unpleasant!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now