To despair at EVER finding a bra that fits?!

(1000 Posts)
Silverstar2 Wed 06-Feb-13 17:41:55

So, I have read every website on the subject, been measured at Bravissimo, and STILL find every single bra uncomfortable - even the ones that Bravissimo said were the right size. I just want to rip the thing off as soon as I get in from work. They seem fine for about an hour, then start to dig in.

I find that they just 'curl up' at the back, and I get horrible back fat, or dig in at the side/arm pit, but mainly on just one side! The band never seems to sit flush to my side iyswim. I have tried going up a band and down a cup, down a band and up a cup etc, have tried every style going..........

I found when I wore my saggy old too big bras they gave me no shape or support, but my god they were comfy!

I think I am about a 36/38 E/F. I have ordered and sent back about ten bras this last month as they just all HURT.

So, AIBU to just let 'em all hang out and be pain-free??!!!!

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Wed 06-Feb-13 18:40:13

A 32D I think AF.

Just got home so here's a link to a good thread till the experts arrive:
http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/1630535-ARGH-How-do-I-work-out-my-bra-size

BillyBollyDandy Wed 06-Feb-13 18:41:05

I am exactly the same size OP!

I wear a 36GG Fantasie Helena, it's the comfiest bra I have ever found and not unattractive. I would try Fantasie and Panache and see how you get on.

32D probably AF

AnyFucker Wed 06-Feb-13 18:42:36

I wear a 32D.

I think I am waering the best I can. It's the boobz that are at fault < sigh >

fufulina Wed 06-Feb-13 18:44:50

I always used to go to bravissimo and tried to ignore the pain because they have such a great reputation for fitting well. They didn't fit me well at all. Recently went to John Lewis who fitted me brilliantly and I no longer have the rip-the-bra-off-as-soon-as-I-get-in thing. I'm a 34e/f and bravissimo insisted on putting me in a 32. And those great big cup ones that look like my mums. Poor dh put up with me in atrocious underwear for years! I now have pretty, comfortable bras!

IceBergJam Wed 06-Feb-13 18:44:53

Anyfucker, I am a 32D , I was a 32B 14 months ago, before DD and BF. I just replaced my bf bras with some of the Rosie range from M&S. May not be your thing but the best fitting ones ive ever had.

Will I deflate though when I stop the one bf a day?

My underboob is 37 inches but I have to wear a 42 as anything smaller digs in badly. I've decided that a bra that fits is a myth

teacher123 Wed 06-Feb-13 18:46:43

Rigby and Peller is the shop you need. There's one in London just next to Harrods iirc and one at shepherds bush westfields. The bras cost about £65 a go, but the fit is amazing. I got a strapless bra to go under my wedding dress and it is so comfortable I don't even know I'm wearing it. They measure you by sight (and witchcraft I reckon) and the women are incredible at finding stuff that fits.

showtunesgirl Wed 06-Feb-13 18:48:35

Sometimes it's not just about the fit of the bra eg size but also the type of bra. I went to the excellent The Fitting Studio in Forest Hill, London where they not only find out your size but what kind of bras suit you.

For example, I was informed that due to the seperation of my boobs, I would never find a t-shirt bra comfortable as the underwire would always dig into the centre of my chest. Balconette bras would also probably have the same problem and that I should stick to plunge. Since I found this out, buying bras has been a doddle.

I can highly recommend this shop and apparently they have had people come from miles around to get fitted properly.

AnyFucker Wed 06-Feb-13 18:49:01

Oh dear, Ice.

You will deflate. Hopefully not as much as I did. My bf bras were a 36HH. Some people are very springy though, you might be lucky smile < eyes own spaniel's ears grimly >

AnyFucker Wed 06-Feb-13 18:50:44

The best fitting bra I ever had is a black strapless one from New Look. Go figure !

Not much cop for workwear though smile

IceBergJam Wed 06-Feb-13 18:51:17

Maybe ill bf for a few more years then!

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Wed 06-Feb-13 18:53:43
CelticPromise Wed 06-Feb-13 18:54:19

Rubber you can't be comfy in a 42 with that measurement! what's your over bust measurement?

I think when you have the size right, the style is still important. I can't wear many plunge bras, they're just the wrong shape for me.

I am a keen amateur, but you really need SorrelForbes and StatisticallyChallenged on here, they're the experts.

StuntGirl Wed 06-Feb-13 18:56:59

They measure you by sight (and witchcraft I reckon) grin

I agree with well fitting bras being a myth. I dream of small enough boobies that I can go braless.

SorrelForbes Wed 06-Feb-13 19:01:52

How did I miss this?!

Ok RubberBullets. You almost certainly need a 36 back. I can't tell what cup unless you provide your across bust measurement.

The reason anything smaller than a 42 is digging is because the cups are way too small. When this happens, the boobs use up the back fabric to compensate for lack of cup volume.

AnyFucker Wed 06-Feb-13 19:03:50

Do me, do me !

< shoves RB aside >

Velve Wed 06-Feb-13 19:04:51

I was a C cup before babies and am now a FF while breastfeeding. With a 30" band width I can't find any bras that are comfortable. I have given up on feeding bras as they do nothing to support me, but I can't find underwired every day bras in my size that I can pop my boob out of at feeding time.
I have come to the conclusion that big breasts = discomfort. I miss my C cup.

GregBishopsBottomBitch Wed 06-Feb-13 19:04:58

I was measured in Debenhams and 38F was the size i was given, so i stick to that.

SorrelForbes Wed 06-Feb-13 19:06:36

Posters up thread are correct, style and brand are key.

I can only wear balconette shapes as my boobs have more fullness on te bottom which means I fall out of plunge styles regardless of how big the cup is. Full cups are also rarely a good fit (not to mention unflattering) as I get garage at the top of the cup.

The comfiest bras I own are as follows:

Cleo Juna
Fauve Lucia
R&P Vintage balconette
Prima Doña wonderland balconette
Ewa Michalak CH styles

CelticPromise Wed 06-Feb-13 19:08:39

Velve I'm a G cup at the best of times, went to a K while bfing (ridiculous) and I'm comfy! Don't settle!

CelticPromise Wed 06-Feb-13 19:09:39

Greg are you comfy and well supported? Debenhams fitting is a bit variable IME.

GregBishopsBottomBitch Wed 06-Feb-13 19:11:16

Celtic Debenhams bras where, but from anywhere else they arent, my bras are nice for 3 months then go horrid, but Debenhams bras are the only comfy bras i've had.

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Wed 06-Feb-13 19:17:26

Greg, what dress size are you? I'm a 14 and my band is 34, not that there's a direct match but there's a correlation I think.

AnyFucker Wed 06-Feb-13 19:18:42

sorrel that list of bras sounds like ££££

This thread is not accepting new messages.