To think the library shouldn't use Japanese pictures to celebrate Chinese New Year

(47 Posts)
sweetestB Wed 06-Feb-13 14:32:05

They were decorating the children's session yesterday and putting lots of Japanese pictures next to the Chinese dragons and alphabet.
I wasn't sure if I should have said anything, maybe someone from the Chinese or Japanese communities will speak up, but there aren't many around here.
Or it doesn't matter?

TepidCoffee Wed 06-Feb-13 22:18:49

I don't think you even need to be aware of the difficult history to be aware that they're not the same place and it's fairly insulting to mix the two up!

Like MrsDV's example, it's the ignorance that should be challenged.

Purple2012 Wed 06-Feb-13 22:16:09

It would annoy me too. Especially in a library.

Mind you, our library had a big mural on the outside with the word government spelled as goverment - you would think they should know better.

MrsDeVere Wed 06-Feb-13 21:34:28

People do it all the time. They get Ghana and Guyana mixed up hmm

I just laughed TBH. I did have to insist that they changed it though. I was a bit less amused at that.

have people really no idea of the history between the two countries over the last couple of hundred years?

I have no idea.

But I don't work in a library!

TheNebulousBoojum Wed 06-Feb-13 19:50:18

'My Father is Chinese and would be hugely offended. He still won't buy anything Japanese, the atrocities were shocking. He is in his late 80's.

Watch a film called City of Life and Death, based on the rape of Nanking.

Personally I also get annoyed with the poor research. It feeds in to the they are all the same type rubbish.'

Adversecamber, that's exactly what I was thinking, have people really no idea of the history between the two countries over the last couple of hundred years?
It's sloppy and lazy work.

hugoagogo Wed 06-Feb-13 19:25:13

Great idea merrylegs I work in a library and sometimes have to make displays.

This is my worst nightmare, I would definitely want to be told.

StuntGirl Wed 06-Feb-13 19:22:59

Oh goodness MrsD! shock

How did they make that mistake? Surely they ask the children involved about it!

Jinsei Wed 06-Feb-13 19:22:18

Oh dear MrsDV - I'd have felt horribly embarrassed for them. I hope you enlightened them.

MrsDeVere Wed 06-Feb-13 19:19:24

My DD went to a lovely nursery.

Every month they would feature a child on the display board with info about their ethnic background, their likes, pets, family etc.

I remember them showing me DD's. It was very nice.

Except that they had whacking great big map and flag of Ghana.

DD's dad is from Guyana hmm

Only a different continent...

Jinsei Wed 06-Feb-13 19:19:11

The confusion of China/Japan thing is a bit of a bugbear of mine

And mine! So many people seem to think they are interchangeable. hmm

I would expect more from the library. I think you should mention it.

StuntGirl Wed 06-Feb-13 19:11:12

Merrylegs has got it right I'd say smile

Personally I think that image you linked to is very obviously Japanese, but then I have a similar one hanging on my bedroom wall so maybe it's more obvious to me?

sweetestB Wed 06-Feb-13 19:09:35

oh yes, praising first....rule number 1

Merrylegs Wed 06-Feb-13 19:05:46

It's just a mistake. Just point it out to them! Honestly, what do you think they are going to do? Sob loudly? Ban you from the library?

You could use the old did you mean to.... 'Your display is so eye catching and colourful, but did you mean to put Japanese pictures up to illustrate Chinese New Year?'

And smile in a friendly manner.

sweetestB Wed 06-Feb-13 18:55:23

I will pop in there after tomorrow ( they are closed tomorrow) to see if they changed it.
How to point out politely that they made a mistake?
I use the library a lot, I don't want a awkward situation

TepidCoffee Wed 06-Feb-13 18:51:45

Not great in an educational establishment!

sweetestB Wed 06-Feb-13 18:49:52

My link was supposed to show the 16th photo only

Adversecamber Wed 06-Feb-13 18:47:53

My Father is Chinese and would be hugely offended. He still won't buy anything Japanese, the atrocities were shocking. He is in his late 80's.

Watch a film called City of Life and Death, based on the rape of Nanking.

Personally I also get annoyed with the poor research. It feeds in to the they are all the same type rubbish.

TepidCoffee Wed 06-Feb-13 18:47:30

Showtunes, I think most would be pissed off by the ignorance...

sweetestB Wed 06-Feb-13 18:46:38
showtunesgirl Wed 06-Feb-13 18:43:46

Sp. atrocities

showtunesgirl Wed 06-Feb-13 18:42:00

There are quite a few Chinese people who would be very offended by this. The reason being that the Japanese have over the years committed great atroticites against the Chinese. If you have a strong stomach, Google: The Rape of Nanking.

sweetestB Wed 06-Feb-13 18:40:43

They did have kanji writing only, no hiragana/katakana, but the ladies wearing kimono, their hair style, and the poses/ pictures style.....clearly Japanese.
I just googled Chinese New Year and didn't see any Japanese pictures, so they clearly didn't google it.

TepidCoffee Wed 06-Feb-13 18:39:23

Yeah, this would annoy me as my DH is Japanese and (obviously) DS is half-Japanese. I would say something in a jokey, psst type of way.

Moominsarehippos Wed 06-Feb-13 18:32:14

Most of the world would have difficulty locating Scotland on the map, let alone know that it is a country in its own right!

I can tell the difference between Japanese and Chinese script though! Then, I did work for a Japanese designer for a bit.

exexpat Wed 06-Feb-13 18:24:00

I'm British but lived in Japan for 11 years & studied Chinese for 5 years - can I help?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now