AIBU to bid up to £100 for a spare favourite toy?

(103 Posts)
NeopreneMermaid Wed 06-Feb-13 11:57:47

My 10mo ds has a discontinued cuddly toy that he needs to get to sleep. He sucks it so after 3 days it stinks to high heaven and needs decontamination washing. Wash day is a nightmare as he has to have at least one nap without it and it needs me with him for 40mins, while 2yo dd is plonked in front of Cbeebies.

In addition to trying every online shop, rl shop and the manufacturer for a spare, I have searched eBAY daily since May using 4 search terms and one has finally come up - start bid was 99p so I put on a safely high max bid of £30shock . Some bugger just outbid me! It originally cost less than a tenner new.

So, would ibu to increase my bid to £40? £60? £100?! If iabu, how much is your child's favourite/needed toy worth to you?

NeopreneMermaid Wed 06-Feb-13 19:48:46

I can't believe thisbhas happened the same day but DD has lost Bunny this evening (it's somewhere in the house) and we've had to offer one of the seven replacements. She saw the difference but accepted it was one of Bunny's sisters and has happily gone off to bed. I feel £41's worth of vindication.

NeopreneMermaid Wed 06-Feb-13 16:32:24

Good call to switch it while he's sleeping. It needs some serious washing and beating up first though!

I do feel ridiculous though but am now tempted to buy every new Jellycat toy that comes out and eBay them 5 years later. This will probably beat all my pension plans.

Glad you won it OP - hope your little boy accepts it. Maybe switch it while he's sleeping?

Pictureperfect Wed 06-Feb-13 16:20:06

Jellycat are expensive to start with and go for crazy prices! A charity used the Dalmatians from the jellycat merry day range and they sell for so much more than they were sold by the company which is a real shame. People selling them on must be laughing though!

bubby64 Wed 06-Feb-13 16:17:30

Hate to say this OP, but we had this problem years ago, and we ended up with 3 versions of one toy, which were rotated. We though DS didnt notice much, until one day, when he was about 4 he said "Oh good, its the 'real' Poohs turn to sleep wiith me!!"
Shows he had noticed all along!

imogengladhart Wed 06-Feb-13 15:56:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Chandon Wed 06-Feb-13 14:52:53

Do not bid, STOP

Ime, babies and kids cannot be fooled by imposter bears, out of the crib they will be thrown!

It is pointless.

Just suffer the stink. Maybe put it on heating todry in between sucky episodes, so the smell des not develop too quickly.

degutastic Wed 06-Feb-13 14:44:19

You know you're living vicariously through mn when you read to the end of the thread just to find out if the OP got it grin

NeopreneMermaid Wed 06-Feb-13 14:15:53

Haha, you and me both. I am a nervous wreck.

I got it for £41 which is more than I wanted to spend but hey, less than I spent on the Steiff bear he couldn't care less about. He's going to hate this one too, isn't he? wink

Thanks all for keeping me company.

sillymillyb Wed 06-Feb-13 14:07:08

wooohooo!

can't believe this genuinely made me smile.... I need to get out more, I'm living far too vicariously! grin

Woohoo!

lovesmileandlaugh Wed 06-Feb-13 14:05:56

Oh I was gutted, I thought you were the other bidder! Just had to go get cup of tea and kitkat to cope!
Yaaaaaaaaay!!!

NeopreneMermaid Wed 06-Feb-13 14:04:36

I won I won I won!!!! smile

Suppose I should go and pay attention to actual DS now who has been sitting in his own faeces while I faff about on eBay and Mumsnet (but it's all FOR HIM).

fishybits Wed 06-Feb-13 14:02:58

2 months and 80 euros later we have three on rotation after too many traumatic hours howling whilst watching the wretched thing in the washing machine.

Did you get it OP?

NeopreneMermaid Wed 06-Feb-13 14:01:54

I increased my bid. can't watch. someone tell me.

sillymillyb Wed 06-Feb-13 14:01:34

I can't believe I'm place marking to see whether you win your bid on eBay grin

when my ds was born I bought 2 Teddies just incase.... I sleeo with one now, and ds sleeps with the other. neither of us like to swop!

lovesmileandlaugh Wed 06-Feb-13 13:57:59

blush

FairyJen Wed 06-Feb-13 13:57:14

Anyone else now glued to eBay?

Just me??

NeopreneMermaid Wed 06-Feb-13 13:51:45

DD somehow had 7 spare bunnies (mainly due to a bout of gastroenteritis) and we kept them all on careful rotation but she's settled on one now so we'd better not lose it.

15 mins! What to do?!

Linoleic Wed 06-Feb-13 13:50:10

Could the seller have seen your max bid and got a friend to outbid you to push the price up? <disillusioned ebayer>

ChristianGreyIsAJackass Wed 06-Feb-13 13:49:25

Warning!

My DS has a bunny, which is disgusting, stinky (even when freshly washed) totally discoloured but he loves him! I found a spare, i bought it, he doesnt like the spare, he wouldnt entertain it even at a young age.

New bunny sits unloved and pristine and old dogshit bunny remains safely in ds's bed!

Dont bother, you wont win!

lovesmileandlaugh Wed 06-Feb-13 13:48:48

I like Mr Neoprene!

SparkyUK Wed 06-Feb-13 13:47:36

Haven't read the thread, but we did the same, buying replacement fav plush toy for DS off ebay. The first one was not deemed acceptable, being a similar white rabbit but with a different facial expression. The second one was a large rather than a small (didn't realise there were different sizes until it arrived in the post - dog!) and this was acceptable.

However, word of warning. If you do get a spare, be careful not to to let DS see them both like I did. He then instead insisted on having both bunnies to bed every night. (sigh).

Word of warning - I bought a 2nd favorite teddy for my dd when she was in hospital and kept being sick on the original. She wouldn't entertain it for a second. Too shiny and new looking and didn't stink
Despite many washes it still gets rejected a year later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now