To not want to bloody try it?!

(70 Posts)

My nan makes a vat of soup every week for her and my grandad. She is trying to convince me that I should have a bowl for lunch.
I do not like a single ingredient of the soup. I am old enough to know when I do not like the taste of something.
Apparently I'm being childish because I do not want any fucking soup.

Why oh why must usually sensible adults, when confronted by another sensible adult who doesn't like something, feel the need to persuade them that they do not know their own mouth?!

HildaOgden Wed 06-Feb-13 21:36:54

Nanas' soup sounds lovely.Although I am quite hungry at the moment smileo

Take it home and taste a spoonful,you can barf into your own loo discard it after that if it really is awful

Boomerwang Wed 06-Feb-13 21:31:55

It's the smell of some foods that makes me not want to try it, particularly soup. Especially if it's out of a can. They always smell of vomit.

Fresh soup, however, especially my mum's chinese chicken and mushroom soup, smells lovely.

I detest the smell of chantrelles but since they'd been freshly picked by the cook I deigned to taste the sauce made out of them... and found that it tasted as good as it smelled - like sick.

Antipag Wed 06-Feb-13 17:35:29

Personally I would try the soup (which I am imagining is tripe and vinegar soup at this point!) BUT, the OP is a grown woman, the issue isn't whether she might think the soup is the tastiest thing she has eaten in her life, if she isn't interested in finding out then why the hell should she have to.

That said, if you have been invited over for a meal, I personally think its a bit rude to not even give it a go.

andu MN would be a very quiet place indeed if the only threads were ones of great important life issues... I'm not looking for 'back up', just curious to see whether other's would give in for a quiet life or stick to their guns smile

andubelievedthat Wed 06-Feb-13 17:27:20

i cant imagine hating a soup i have not tried and coming onto a site for backup re not trying it ! if u are so convinced u do not like it , do not have any.

AllOutOfIdeas Wed 06-Feb-13 17:27:19

I don't know on this- if it was just veg i don't like i would try it just to keep nan happy.
On the other hand, dp does this to me with everything with chilies in. He knows i cannot handle chilies even if they have only been waved in the general direction of the pan, through the kitchen window.
My lips start burning and it hurts!

Every fucking time "just try this, its not hot. You will love it" no i won't!

Sorry, escaped for a sandwich coffee with a friend wink
I completely agree that if it was served to me as a meal, I should definitely try it before saying no, but this was my nan wanting to put some in a jar to take home and have for my lunch tomorrow grin I'd hate to waste it! She's not offended either, we get on brilliantly so this is mainly lighthearted smile
It's a vegetable soup- I hate peppers, onions and celery and they're the main bits in there envy
I'm not an irritating picky eater though, I'm happy to eat around things I really dislike and if it's the odd bit of carrot (which I'm not at all keen on) in a shepherds pie (for example) I'll happily eat it to be polite. But a soup made out of my worst food nightmares with nothing else to mask the taste? I think I should be allowed to pass grin

I think, on the whole, that people should eat what they are offered if they have gone somewhere for a meal.(actual food allergies aside) I particularly despise whinyarses with masses of food issues who have to make a fucking melodrama out of every mealtime 'Ooh, I don't like this, and I don't like that, and my astrologer says I should only eat fish on a Tuesday, and have you got any obscure mineral water?'

HildaOgden Wed 06-Feb-13 16:39:33

Poor Nana sad.

DontSweatTheSmallStuff Wed 06-Feb-13 15:10:38

OP has disappeared. She has tried it and has spend the last 3 hours with her head down the toilet

or

She refused so Nan took offence and added ScentedNappyHag an extra ingredient to make it more palatable.

CheerfulYank Wed 06-Feb-13 15:00:35

Me too!

G'wan g'wan g'wan! :D Tell us.

steppemum Wed 06-Feb-13 15:00:07

tell us what is in the soup PLEEEEEEEEEESE grin

I am the wrong person to ask for this. I will eat anything at someone elses house, something to do with being a good guest that I can't shake off.

will even eat nuts on top of things (yuck yuck yuck)

But I would avoid broad beans unless it was a desperate situation!

poozlepants Wed 06-Feb-13 14:51:41

I demand to know what is in the aforesaid hideous soup. Please.

HecateWhoopass Wed 06-Feb-13 14:51:09

oh, and I have on the cooker a huge pan of carrot, onion and celery soup that I have made today.

I HATE celery. Wouldn't eat it if you paid me. It's revolting.

But not in the soup. It tastes really nice.

I'll admit, it was a bit of a gamble. I didn't know if I was going to be able to eat it, but it was either that or throw it away. And I knew if I couldn't eat it, the dustbin I married would. grin

chocoluvva Wed 06-Feb-13 14:50:13

Maybe OP's nan thinks her soup is nutritious - which it probably is.

HecateWhoopass Wed 06-Feb-13 14:47:41

It's probably one of those weird 'reject my food reject my love' things grin.

And you don't know that you won't like it. Foods can combine and create a flavour that is totally different from the individual ingredients.

That said - you are under no obligation to try something if you don't want to.

THAT said - grin - if you try and and say sorry, don't like it. Then at least she'll stop going on at you.

Or she'll complain about wasted food and you'll be forced to hold her down in the pot until the bubbles stop. wink

LimburgseVlaai Wed 06-Feb-13 14:44:04

Hmmmm, deep thought: if a veg patch is fertilised with bone meal, would the veg then be suitable for vegetarians?

I have always said free-range vegetarians are the most ethical choice for meat.

I think it is like gin and tonic. I hate gin. Don't tell MNHQ. I hate tonic. I luffs me a gin and tonic.

Eat the soup.

pinkyredrose Wed 06-Feb-13 14:09:02

Things taste different in soup though . I hate asparagus but asparagus soup is yummy .

Bunbaker Wed 06-Feb-13 13:38:36

"Anyone else desperate to know what soup it is? I can't imagine a soup where I hated every single ingredient!"

Yes. What is in the soup that is so vile?

LOL at vegetarians!!!!
Cheered me up no end today!
Thanks

ItsOkayItsJustMyBreath Wed 06-Feb-13 13:30:43

grin grin grin complex

complexnumber Wed 06-Feb-13 13:29:28

Once MIL chased DH round the kitchen with a broad bean and forced it in his mouth. I don't think she believes no is a complete sentence

catladycourtney1 Wed 06-Feb-13 13:29:02

As long as you've explained that you don't like the ingredients and it's not because it looks like vom of anything to do with them, then YA absolutely NBU. My mum went through a phase of growing her own veg and making soup with it, and while I liked some of the veg itself, I just couldn't bring myself to ever try the soup. Although, I'm not big on soup anyway, I only do cup-a-soup smile

ItsOkayItsJustMyBreath Wed 06-Feb-13 13:24:19

Tuck in garlic (an ideal addition as well as nn), I've been a veggie since the age of 4 grin

Maryz I am not having that! I can sniff out coriander at 100 paces envy <-- bleurgh face

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now