To really, really resent the "dog mess" in my neighbourhood

(101 Posts)
whataboutbob Tue 05-Feb-13 14:00:33

There are a fair few dog owners where I live and a good proportion are responsible. However there is also an element who just do not pick up after their dog. It's not a nice topic I know, but at any one time my street and the ones around it will be sporting several samples of dog poo.
I have contacted the council who made the following points: dog wardens only operate till 5 pm (I believe the irresponsible owners come out at night, go for a little walkies around the block and then home), dog bins cost £500 each so I shouldn't expect them to be putting new ones up around my 'hood (there are a few, but not many). They could put up some more notices: you know, those little stickers threatening an £80 fine. Which everyone ignores.
Has anyone successfully mounted an anti dog fouling campaign in their neighbourhood? Do you have any tips on what I can do to reduce the problem? At this point I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

soverylucky Wed 06-Feb-13 14:24:11

I was on the beach with my children. A big dog came running over and did the most enormous poo right on the top of the sandcastle they had created. Now fair enough the owner did clean it up but he had a go at me for saying "yuk that is gross". We moved our stuff. Even though the crap was gone you knew it had just been there.

soverylucky Wed 06-Feb-13 14:26:12

There is a town in Germany where each dog is chipped and DNA tested. In order to own a dog you must do this. You must pay for this. Any shite that is found in street is DNA tested and the owner is identified. I dream that one day this system comes over here.
We will look back in the future with complete horror that we allowed dog mess in the street, that we tolerated it, in much the same way we look back in horror at the emptying of chamber pots in the street in Tudor times.

Moominsarehippos Wed 06-Feb-13 14:44:05

People pissing/shitting/ puking in the street too! Please, keep your bodily evacuations to yourself!

Fabsmum Wed 06-Feb-13 14:48:08

"There is a town in Germany where each dog is chipped and DNA tested. In order to own a dog you must do this. You must pay for this. Any shite that is found in street is DNA tested and the owner is identified."

YES! to this.

It's TERRIBLE in my area. I do a 500 yard school run, and have to dodge 7 or 8 fresh shits every morning. The thing that infuriates me is that it's the same small number of owners walking this route and not picking up their dogs' crap day in and day out.

I'm thinking of becoming a shit vigilante - hiding in my car, filming people doing it, posting it on Youtube, then putting posters up with the link all over the area, so people can see who's doing it. Then maybe posting the dog owners' addresses so people can return their shit to them through the letterbox, if they feel like it.

Fabsmum Wed 06-Feb-13 14:50:32

Although I have to confess I once took my own dog to a dog friendly beach - she ran straight into the sea, drank 2 pints of sea water, and then had explosive liquid shits within about 4 minutes which were completely impossible to clear up properly. blush blush blush

NiniLegsInTheAir Wed 06-Feb-13 15:51:14

A month or so ago someone let their dog shit on the pavement between my front gate and my car's passenger side door (on-street parking). There was a whole trail of it about a foot long. It was so disgusting.

For some time afterwards I had to grab my quick running toddler every morning as she bolted out, and had to move the car back a few feet so I could get the door open without having to step through the offending crap.

It was such an epic dump it took several rain showers to wash it all away angry

Someone upthread mentioned cat poo - I've never seen a cat take a dump in the middle of a pavement before.

It is terrible in my area too - we do the school run and our entire conversation is 'mind the poo'

I love the German idea.

I thought about setting up a doggilante account on twitter a bit like everyday sexism but where people report sightings of crappy dog owners. But then I realised they would only inundate me with their crap...

Fabsmum, do it!

EasilyBored Wed 06-Feb-13 16:12:08

I do a very cheerful but FIRM 'would you like a poo bag?!?!?!' when I see owners trying to walk off and leave their poo. I hope that if I say it loud enough I can try and shame people into picking it up.

HappyJoyful Wed 06-Feb-13 16:12:44

YANBU - in the words of my 2 year "YUCK, dirty, dirty, disgusting people' (Don't know where she's learnt that!)

I find myself rooted to the spot ready to rant if I see one of the culprits.

Have recently got involved in a local 'Friends of group' to improve our local recreation ground - at a meeting the other evening comments were made about the dog poo tree, so people put it in a bag then throw it into a tree, what the fcuk ??!

Horrid buggers and we've plenty of bins and useless dog wardens too. Arggh..

Meglet Wed 06-Feb-13 16:29:58

Yanbu. I HATE it. I also hate having to bellow at the children to dodge it on the paths, it has got worse in the last few years.

I saw a skanky owner let his dog poo on the path the other day but couldn't say anything as I had the kids with me. He would have been the type to kick off if I spoke to him about it.

whataboutbob Wed 06-Feb-13 16:55:52

Wow! This thread was a bit slow to get started and i thought maybe the subject was so gross no one wanted to comment. Thanks for all the posts. Sorry to hear the stencils don't make much difference. The ultimate has to be the German approach I'd just LOVE it if it was adopted here. Maybe there could also be some kind of consciousness raising by bodies such as Battersea dogs home. If you're going to hand over a dog you could try and educate the new owners. Of course that would be useless if the dogs are obtained as puppies from friends etc. There was something on the news about making it a legal requirement in 2016 (or such like) for all dogs to be microchipped. Maybe that would be an opportunity for DNA sampling to come in. It will probably take pressure from the public but I think if people get organised, there's obviously a groundswell of feeling on this, we can make a difference.

missrlr Wed 06-Feb-13 17:32:53

I have named and shamed on occasion and had the abuse and harassment that follows with it. Now I photograph (zoom is a brilliant invention) and send to local dog warden. There are 2 serial offenders near me, both with multiple dogs and kids, who really ought to know better! I have a dog, have had for years and I clear up - along with many deposits as I don't like walking in it.
The law abiding owners amongst us will resent the fees for regulation when what is needed is proper dog wardens who work hours which are commiserate with the job required. Like so many other functions in society ....

ClippedPhoenix Wed 06-Feb-13 17:36:39

This is a huge bug bear of mine too OP. I'ts bloody disgusting.

When my DS was little he came back from the park 9 times out of 10 with dog shite on this footwear. There is an area for dogs to do their business but do many people use it? No they don't, grrrrrrr.

OTTMummA Wed 06-Feb-13 17:49:41

I wish you could rub their filthy, lazy noses in it. Dirty beggars!

KatyTheCleaningLady Wed 06-Feb-13 17:59:01

Perhaps the answer would be to form a large civil army of dog-poo-picker-uppers. Dozens of them in every town, patrolling all the streets 'round the clock and picking up poo before it's even had the time to stop steaming.

Their wages could be paid for by dog licenses at least as hefty as the TV license. There could be a discount if you have your dog neutered or spayed. The poop patrol would have the right to scan microchips on every dog they see. Any dog that pops up late on its yearly license is immediately confiscated and destroyed.

Consils Wed 06-Feb-13 17:59:09

We have a village magazine that regularly contains a little local quiz. For example, it described a village oldtimer and entrants have to guess who it is. Last time this was won by the person describred. My latest idea is a light hearted quiz to match the dog poo with the village dog. I know that I would recognise my own dog's poo in this competition.

I am convinced that the most regular offenders are the dogs belonging to the local hospital chaplain and the poos are huge. There are plenty of dog poo bins round here and there is no excuse at all. I pick up the huge ones but that is only because I would otherwise tread in them.

I am thinking along the lines of having a picture of all the dogs in the village and a corresponding line of pictures of poos.

My dog has a chronic condition which means she can only eat low protein prescription dog poos and she is attracted to eating other poos which is dangerous for her. I know she is only a dog but it means that I have to be extra vililant that she does not eat the shitzu poo.

I am sure that I know the worst offenders and I know the poo, too.

My dog's poo is like a very fat worm and it wouldn't make it into the competition. The DNA test sounds brilliant.

Consils Wed 06-Feb-13 18:02:22

she can only eat low protein food, not low protein dog poos. Eating poo could sent her blind and into a coma again. Thanks.

Instructionsfordancing Wed 06-Feb-13 18:11:53

I hate people who don't clear up after there pooches - its completely irresponsible dog ownership (as is bagging and decorating trees with it!??)
I always go out prepared with plenty of bags but admit I've been caught out before and sacrificed my gloves 2 wrap up and bin the offending item! sad

MadameOvary Wed 06-Feb-13 18:17:22

YANBU. The only thing worse than the sight of dogshit is the inevitable smearing of it all along the pavement in the following days angry
I have bought latex gloves and am considering using them the next time I find some mutt's crap left by their lazy bastard owners in the middle of the fucking pavement. Aaaaargh!

AllDirections Wed 06-Feb-13 18:24:39

happybubblebrain angry angry angry I can't find the words to say what I want to say

It's really bad where I live too, we do the dog poo dance all the way to school every day

EndoplasmicReticulum Wed 06-Feb-13 18:41:54

We counted five separate dollops on the five minute walk to school yesterday, including one right outside the school gates. My sons are discouraged from going on the verge too. And yes, I think it's the late night sneaky dog-empty that's the problem.

(Can I say "dog-shit DNA database" once more?)

CruCru Wed 06-Feb-13 18:47:23

It's got much worse on my street. Love the German idea.

Also, I don't know if it's true but someone once told me that dogs were banned within 4 miles of towns in Iceland (poo freezes and then all thaws at once).

DyeInTheEar Wed 06-Feb-13 19:24:22

I can't tell you how much I hate it. It's everywhere on our street. I've given up giving dirty looks to dog owners as they are so aggressive and someone spat all over my car after I asked someone to put it in the bin.

whataboutbob Wed 06-Feb-13 20:16:55

Right we have some ideas here. It seems there's a consensus that consciousness raising, education etc is slow at best and probably doesn't work as those who don't pick up are a self selected group who don't care. The best deterrent is a real financial punishement. The only likely way to do this is by microchipping and DNA testing. But maybe a kind of citizen's patrol, organised and backed up by the council and with powers to impose fines could also work? I'm not a lawyer but it seems that whatever it is, it's going to take some legislation to change behaviours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now