washable menstrual pads

(148 Posts)
CatchTheFox Mon 04-Feb-13 19:38:36

ok, i am interested to know if people think this is gross or not. 10 years ago i wouldn't have even considered it, but now with 2 in cloth nappies, it's seems like a no-brainer.
or should i try a mooncup?

ControlGeek Mon 04-Feb-13 20:27:16

fluffyraggies mine have popstuds on the wings, you wrap them around your gusset as you would PL-with-wings but popstud the wings together. As long as you're not wearing thongs, it makes a pretty snug fit wink

I have also considered whether my mooncup would assist with my ttc but have always opted for the legs-up position instead blush

sarahseashell Mon 04-Feb-13 20:28:33

shock only on MN - where every day is a schoolday as they say

HecateWhoopass Mon 04-Feb-13 20:28:39

I use them.
I get really ill with tampons or towels - diahorea, horrible stomach cramps.
There is no way on earth I am shoving a mini sink plunger up my fanny.
So washable cloths are great for me.
It's only a bit of blood. <shrug> I don't mind washing it off. And the best thing of all is much less pain.

swampster Mon 04-Feb-13 20:29:00

I love cups - not Mooncups though as I didn't get on with the stem. I have MeLunas in three different sizes and go with the flow as to which one to use. I find I don't really get period pains when I use a cup which is little short of a miracle as I spent close to 30 years writhing in agony for at least one day each month.

I love washable pads, especially the wool-backed bamboo ones from Fussybutt/Sew Fussy. They never get disgustingly saturated in the way disposable pads can. And they don't stink. (Or was that just me?) blush

And sponges are absolutely remarkable. Their absorbency second-to-none. And <whispers> they are really great if you fancy a not-too-gory shag when you are on.

Take a look at this website, it has a great selection of menstrual stuff.

fluffyraggies Mon 04-Feb-13 20:30:24

Yeah i've done the legs up too smile

The popstuds would mean no more 'sticky wings' cementing themselves together like super glue under your gusset! Bliss!

Off to google.

CloudsAndTrees Mon 04-Feb-13 20:37:29

Personally, I think it's gross.

oldraver Mon 04-Feb-13 20:40:43

I use a Mooncup and also DS's old Fluffles liners. I also have washable that has a butter soft minky lining thats I bought a few years ago but cant find the same make.

They are all lovely and soft against my skin fanny. I had an issue with some pads when they started scenting them and had to find an altenative

HardlyEverHoovers Mon 04-Feb-13 20:41:44

I've kind of reached the same conclusion as you OP having gone on the washable nappies, washable babywipes route. Can you buy them or is it a do it yourself kind of job. I used to use a moon cup but since having DS can't seem to cope with it inside me, you'de think it would be the other way round. Mooncup was fab though, so clean and saved so much money.

swampster Mon 04-Feb-13 20:42:33

Periods are fairly gross, CloudsAndTrees, however you dress them up. Personally I find cups and washable pads far less gross than tampons and disposable pads.

swampster Mon 04-Feb-13 20:43:29

Tampon story. Daily Mail alert.

PretzelTime Mon 04-Feb-13 20:48:03

...applicator?!

CatchTheFox Mon 04-Feb-13 20:51:49

thanks for the link swampster - i never knew there was so much choice!

IneedAsockamnesty Mon 04-Feb-13 20:54:54

http://luxurymoon.co.uk/

This website is very informative and its where I get mine from, for those on the thread who didn't get on with mooncups,meluna cups do a soft version that can be more comfortable.

There not gross they don't smell, I use a combo of both mooncup and reusable pads, liners daily for sneezing incidents and maxi pads overnight during my period. I started using them after a nightmare event that made my vagina blister because of unsuspecting scented always pad use.

They have poppers that hold them in place I personally find fleece backed ones more secure but others swear by PUL backing.

I would surgest looking at the site and buying say 4 or 5 different types or styles just to see what suits you then when you know what's comfy for you buy more, I favour angel padz maxi pads as they are double poppered and nice and soft as well as fairy hammocks heavy pads and minki regular pads that I use as panty liners because they have soft comfy fleecy tops, most pads come in a choice of PUL or fleece backing and you can even get PUL backed but then fleece over that if you want.

But ikky they are not and I'm so not a tree hunger.

IneedAsockamnesty Mon 04-Feb-13 20:55:27

luxurymoon.co.uk/

Sorry this should work

deemented Mon 04-Feb-13 20:59:01

Great link from Pixie up ^^ there - i know the lady that runs it and she's lovely smile

I love my muff fluff. I gone from bleeding like a stuck pig for seven days and having chuff chafe for the next seven, to medium flow for 4-5 days and no soreness. No brainer.

I also love my Jam Sponge too - much prefer it to my mooncup.

RoadtoSussex Mon 04-Feb-13 21:02:58

I have a few and am trying not to buy more disposable pads or tampons.

The cloth ones are really absorbent and I find that even those marketed as liners are pretty absorbent.

Washing? Just take them off with your knickers and put in a bag in the laundry basket. Give a cold rinse cycle before the wash and they are fine.

That has reminded me to get on with buying more pads and a menstrual cup too!

I am really really tempted by the washable pads...
I hate pads, especially the sticky wings which have excelled in sticking to my pubes <wince>

I don't think I would get on with a mooncup, I have a prolapse and struggle with thngs up there...

How many washable pads would I need to buy to see me through a period which usually lasts 5 days and is very heavy with the odd clotting / flooding issue?

IneedAsockamnesty Mon 04-Feb-13 21:11:07

Is that heather deemented? If so she was lovely to me when I was confused by all the options and her customer service is great.

She's also slightly cheaper on pads than feminine wear, it makes quite a difference if your buying a few in one hit. But feminine wear do put love heart sweets and free notepads in with there parcels so that's also a bonus.

IneedAsockamnesty Mon 04-Feb-13 21:13:55

Behind I would surgest about 10 but you probably won't need that many as they are more absorbent than disposables and the act differently as well.

ControlGeek Mon 04-Feb-13 21:14:07

behind I ended up going for five full sized washables and five liner sized washables, they've always done me. I tend to have 4 days medium-heavy flow, then up to 4-5 days light/spotting. I wsh at 60 degrees and don't get staining, they dry in a day indoors so can reuse if necessary. Been meaning to get some more now that mine are almost 10 years old though.

Blimey, how much has that saved me in disposables??

Booyhoo Mon 04-Feb-13 21:21:33

i have a mooncup but i cant get on with it at all. it either just comes staright down again or stays up but is painful. i haven't used it in months and have been using tampons.

could someone explain to me about this sponge that's being mentioned. what is it and how do i use it?

IneedAsockamnesty Mon 04-Feb-13 21:22:19

oldraver are these the ones

luxurymoon.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&manufacturers_id=4

I use them daily as liners they are so soft

deemented Mon 04-Feb-13 21:27:40

It is, pixie - She's really lovely smile

Behind if you flood heavily, then i'd suggest Wee Notions Wall2Wall pads/fairy hammocks. They are massive, but don't let that put you off - they are designed as maternity pads but i find them great overnight and they cope with the 'standing up first thing in the morning' flood really well.

If you need help navigating the Wee Notions website then please just shout as it can be quite daunting smile

Hegsy Mon 04-Feb-13 21:30:36

I love my mooncup smile don't have the same period pains as I had before with tampons and pads

IneedAsockamnesty Mon 04-Feb-13 21:30:55

The sponge is well a natural sponge that you use like a tampon. Its reusable

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now