To not want to just divide the bill ...

(227 Posts)
GenerallyIndecisive Sat 02-Feb-13 16:43:20

Me and my DH had lunch today with some new friends. We have wanted to meet new people so have been making an effort to go to things and talk to new people so we were pleased when a couple we had been chatting to on and off for a few months suggested lunch. They picked quite a pricey pub but we had seen they did a few nice light bites and were happy to go there.

It was a nice lunch and we all got on really well but when the bill came the other couple just said to the waitress oh split the bill and handed over their card... Their food / drink was about £20 more though so we ended up paying £10 extra.

Money is really tight for us at present as I only get Maternity Allowance (was made redundant at 20 weeks pregnant and had only been there 1 year 11 months so no redundancy either).

My DH thinks I am being unreasonable to feel a bit upset and says that most people would just split the bill without giving it a second thought.

Am I being unreasonable?

soimpressed Sun 03-Feb-13 23:05:29

I think if you eat a much more expensive meal or drink wine when others are only on water then it's rude not to offer to put in a bit extra. It's also rude to just assume that others in a group will want to split the bill.

HintofBream Mon 04-Feb-13 00:15:47

MrsKoala made a very good point where she says that when she has checked her DH's bills she has found lots of mistakes. I invariably check the bill, because there are indeed very frequent mistakes - and they are rarely in your favour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now