Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think most part-time workers don't know what's about to hit them?! (Universal Credit)

(1000 Posts)
aufaniae Thu 31-Jan-13 23:32:41

Do you work part-time and get Working Tax Credit or Housing Benefit?

Did you know that once you're on Universal Credit, you'll be expected to attend the Job Centre to prove that you're looking for better paid work / more hours, in much the same way as unemployed people must prove they're looking for work.

If the Job Centre find an interview for you, you will have to attend (with 48 hours notice) even if it clashes with your paid work.

If you are offered a job with more hours, or better pay than your current one, you will be obliged to take it, even if you have good reason for not wanting to e.g. it's only a temporary post (whereas your current one is permanent) / has no training & worse prospects than your current job / makes picking your children up from school impossible / requires you to travel much further / has nothing to do with the career you're following.

If you don't attend the interview and/or take the job, your UC will be sanctioned, you will lose the UC for months or even years (depending on if it's your first infraction).

You will be forced to continue "upgrading" your job until you earn the equivalent of minimum wage for 35 hours a week.

I suspect there are lots of people (e.g. parents who work part time so they can pick their kids up from school) who will be affected by this, but don't realise it yet.

More info here

5madthings Sun 03-Feb-13 23:17:38

Ah its before tax... Hmm

5madthings Sun 03-Feb-13 23:18:40

How certain us this all to go through, what if there is a change of gov?

aufaniae Sun 03-Feb-13 23:19:12

"Aufaniae- you have just highlighted one of the major problems in the current set up. Housing benefit is very often paid to private landlords, that is welfare money going directly to the private sector. There is massive demand for housing in many areas, forcing rents up, increasing profits for landlords."

Absolutely. A program of building council housing would be a positive step forward (bringing rents down, providing jobs, decent homes, and an investment for the tax payer).

5madthings Sun 03-Feb-13 23:22:21

Thinking how much dp earns before tax I may end up having to get a job to top up £15 a week...

AnAirOfHope Sun 03-Feb-13 23:23:23

I will be attending jc with toddler and bf one year old. Are there any plans on making jc child or breastfeeding friendly?

5madthings Sun 03-Feb-13 23:25:22

You will be able to bfeed there I have done it but its not child friendly... How often will we have to attend?!

aufaniae Sun 03-Feb-13 23:25:34

"How certain us this all to go through, what if there is a change of gov?"

Another good question. I have no idea. What are Labour's plans, does anyone know?

(I find it hard to separate the Lib Dems from the Tories these days - is there a chance they'll get in again - I suspect not!)

I wish Labour were more obviously vocal in condemning this, we desperately need an effective opposition right now.

aufaniae Sun 03-Feb-13 23:29:04

AnAirOfHope since 2010 there are laws protecting your right to BF in public.

That's not to say the job centre is child-friendly, but if they tell you they can't BF, they're totally in the wrong, and you should have some kind of legal recourse against them (no idea what though!)

5madthings Sun 03-Feb-13 23:29:46

I may go back to living in ignorance and not worrying too much until we get a letter telling us something.

Once dd has her free hours at preschool I am going to look for something part time anyway and that 'should' be enough to top us up...

aufaniae Sun 03-Feb-13 23:30:29

I think they're planning on doing a lot of this online, with a new IT system (which is not ready yet, but they're forging ahead anyway hmm)

olgaga Sun 03-Feb-13 23:31:20

Well I remember a thread about a year ago when I was shouted down for saying that the point of the whole welfare agenda was that it feeds the Tory philosophy that everyone who claims benefits is a shirker or a scrounger.

Not just those who don't work at all. Even those who work. Everyone who claims anything other than state pension is a scrounger in their eyes.

As far as the Tories are concerned, in polite parlance this is a "culture change".

The Tories have always despised those who "have children they can't afford". Did you know that applied to those who worked too? No? Well now you do.

5madthings Sun 03-Feb-13 23:32:02

We tried to renew our claim online once...ha ha ha

FriggFRIGGisPoorlySick Sun 03-Feb-13 23:34:08

I think some months,between us,we would earn enough...just....and other months we wouldnt.
What happens then?!
Would we even be entitled to anything at all anymore,as we have a mortgage now?!
Private sector rent was so high that when our LL asked for £150 more per month,FIL gave us enough for a deposit,so we pay a little less per month,but obviously don't get housing benifit anymore,and since we took it out,DP has been made redundant,and found a new job (more hours,less pay).
I work weekends...we over lap a day as DP works 6 days...so we only have to rely on GP's for one day per week for childcare...
I can't work much more as I have a chronic health condition the amount I do is already pushing my body to the limits. (I don't get any disability benifit though hmm )

I'm really not sure where we could 'tighten our belts' we don't spend money frivolously...
But if we lose this money (WTC) which it seems we will,we will most likely lose our home.
we won't be able to afford private sector rent,so we will be forced to go onto a council housing waiting list.
Which is ridiculously long,so we will be in a b&b,homeless.
where we will then only pay heavily subsidised rent,and get housing benifit...often these b&b's are far away from your current home,we would not be able to afford to commute to work in these circumstances,or find longer childcare for our DC in order to travel further,so would lose our jobs.

so...we will have gone from fairly self sufficient people with a morgage and jobs,to desperate and homeless,entirely dependant on the state.

Good move Cameron,good move.

AnAirOfHope Sun 03-Feb-13 23:35:32

good as it may well get to that.

Its all very confusing regarding the best way to move forward with all the changes. I try to budget and plan for the whole year but I cant because I dont know how the changes will affect us.

5madthings Sun 03-Feb-13 23:40:19

My local job center is always hideously busy, I had to get some forms from them a couple of times. I have no idea how they could cooe with any more people, let alone parents who have to bring children...

5madthings Sun 03-Feb-13 23:43:38

How they could cope.. They often have people queuing up out the doors and they have stairs and no lift etc. Its a crappily designed building actually.

Darkesteyes Sun 03-Feb-13 23:43:56

Re. council house waiting list this was on the front page of my local paper last week.

www.braintreeandwithamtimes.co.uk/news/10193590.Braintree_district__Figures_reveal_45_year_wait_for_a_council_house/?ref=mmpg

AnAirOfHope Sun 03-Feb-13 23:44:47

I live in Rotherham and we have high rate of unemployment. There is always a que of people outside the jc here waiting in line to sign on. Its just going to get worse.

Darkesteyes Sun 03-Feb-13 23:45:58

Job centres also have no toilets for the public to use.
Considering the amount of people in the ESA WRAG who are attending Job Centres and courses i wonder why and how the job centres are getting away with it.

AnAirOfHope Sun 03-Feb-13 23:49:45

(nb take potty to jc)

5madthings Sun 03-Feb-13 23:51:05

Waits to see first aibu to let my toddler use the potty in the job center thread...

AnAirOfHope Sun 03-Feb-13 23:56:16

If they are already lineing.up outside it will get to the point of camping out side with your kids.

AnAirOfHope Mon 04-Feb-13 00:02:03

I have an 8 man tent in 5 years time I may set it up and charge rent at a low rate per night.

It might be a good investment and if not then there is always the war the pp up thread was talking about, I could start a refugee camp!

AnAirOfHope Mon 04-Feb-13 00:03:54

On that scary note I should get some sleep blush

aufaniae Mon 04-Feb-13 00:06:22

Wow, yes, scary thought!

Night all smile

This thread is not accepting new messages.