Do you think there is a "Polish" problem in the Uk now that it's become the 2nd language in England?

(379 Posts)
NomadsLand Thu 31-Jan-13 20:48:52

I've been to Poland and I like Poles a lot as a people. I think Warsaw is a great city and I have nothing against Polish people.

My mother complained back in 2007 about the number of Poles in Liverpool changing the 'culture'. What she meant was that she loves to banter with people in shops and restaurants and she used to get a lot of chat back (Liverpudlians are generally very funny - IMHO - and love a bit of verbal 'how's your father'). She complained that this had changed and that she was increasingly met with blank stares. This is high insult to my mother!

I didn't think much of it. But I am now finding the same - I approached a new restaurant outlet at my local services today and joked about them selling hot dogs and milkshakes and what a welcome addition to the usual (was hungry and about to make an irresponsible food choice!). I got the same blank stare. Didn't understand a word I said.

I finally understood what my mother has been saying. AIBU?

... And on a different thread? Yes, me too. Tbh im finding mn strange at the moment with plenty of previously 'normal' posters going odd. But I'm clinging to mn as in general I love it here and I fear change

Nope, right thread, but a bit out of context now.
I just hate goading. Naught wrong with a bit of exaggeration for dramatic effect to make a point, but to keep needling people when they are already het up... urgh. Hate it when the darling offspring do it, and hate it on here. Still luff MN bigtime otherwise though grin.

GothAnneGeddes Sat 02-Feb-13 00:23:05

Uppa - I wouldn't say I've segregated myself.

The area I live in is very, very mixed, Liverpool is considerably less so. L8 still has by far the highest number of ethnic minority communities.

LineRunner Sat 02-Feb-13 00:34:45

Pan reported Hully on a thread and unfortunately he made his reporting public.

The thread was in FWR and already infested with MRA trolls. They then probably just jumped on the reporting bandwagon and the rest, as they say, is hysteria.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now