Bizarre conversation with phlebotomist

(90 Posts)
carabos Wed 30-Jan-13 11:27:46

I've just been for a blood test. The phlebotomist took several vials of blood in the normal way, put a cotton ball over the needle prick and immediately said "Are you on aspirin or Warfarin because this bleeding isn't stopping?"

I said no, she checked the bleeding again and said "you must be because this isn't stopping - are you sure?" - at this point only about 30 secs to a minute has gone by since she took the needle out hmm.

I said "well I'm sure it will stop in a minute".
She said "I don't have time for this, I'm going to check your records".

Then she looked again and lo and behold it had stopped. hmm.

AIBU to think she was over-reacting, especially as I had told her I wasn't on any medication, there wasn't a queue for her clinic and it was only a bit of blood from a pin-prick?

Baffledandbewildered Fri 01-Feb-13 14:50:45

I am the hardest person to get blood from :-( I have had all sorts of therapy and nothing helps . I go hysterical all my blood vessels close down and I'm incoheriant . It only comes out of my hand and I always get told off As only a doctor can take it out the hand apparently. So if they have had me before anyone else I bet they are mighty pissed. Off sad

Bottleoffish Thu 31-Jan-13 09:03:47

libelulle yes, I agree. One of my DD's was born at 24 weeks and 1lb 4 oz and I cannot understand how they got lines into her, although I understand it's not an easy process, which is why we would always be asked to leave. Her skin was see through and her veins the width of a strand of cotton. It's amazing.

My veins are crap, everyone gleefully tells me. I've had blood taken from my hands and feet as they couldn't get veins in my arms. When I was in hospital with PE's it took a consultant anaesthetist several tries to get a cannula in and I ended up with huge bruises on my arm. It also took a doctor several goes to dig around in my wrist for arterial blood, which he couldn't get, so gave up. Now, I've had that many blood tests and self administered heparin and insulin injections I don't mind needles any more, but by god, that hurt. shock

However, last time I saw a phlebotomist I said that everyone said my veins were crap and she said 'really?' and got it first time. smile

carabos Thu 31-Jan-13 08:42:45

missingmum not a redhead, no and it was only a trickle which quickly stopped.

sassh say what you like about there being no link, but my ginger DS is a bleeder and colour blind and has funny skin things and temperature control issues - I totally believe that red hair is a syndrome, not a colour and no research will persuade me otherwise wink.

sashh Thu 31-Jan-13 04:47:15

This may alarm some people, but we actually practice on patients

I can vouch for that, I've volunteered. I've had loads of blood tests, sometimes weekly for months at a time and I have good veins that produce lots of blood but are not easy to find.

I've had experienced phlebotomists struggle, but I don't mind the needle being pushed around to find the vein.

OP
You would be surprised at how many people lie about their meds or medical history.

missingmumxox

Ah the great 'red head' theory of people who actually work in health care as opposed to those who do research and say there is no link.

SpicyPear Thu 31-Jan-13 00:00:26

So right about the waiting missing. I'm fine if done how you describe. Once had to wait an hour and a half on a ticket system at a walk-in session and I was in a bit of a state by the time I got in. Bordering on panic and I tensed so it was really painful and arm was bruised for days.

missingmumxox Wed 30-Jan-13 23:52:46

I don't take blood any more but I had the good fortune to only need to do it mainly on the young and healthy, only took 2 to 3 times a day, twice a year I would 30-40 in a day (Jr Doctors days)
I was blessed with Admins who would point out the needle phobics before clinic started.
If possible as in I didn't have a client in with me they used to come straight down to tell me the person had arrive I would call them in immediately if I could and we tried tactfully to book them first thing or straight after my lunch, and I would stop eating if they arrived and do their bloods.
I used to put them on the exam bed but have all the pleb stuff hidden behind the head rest, as I took them up the corridor I would ask all the questions I needed, once on the bed I would put the tourniquet on and minute it was on and I found the vein, I would grab my stuff and take the blood no warning apart from a quick fraction of a second before "just taking blood now" no time to flinch, react or anything, I am sure some would judge this...but 100% IN 8 years requested me to do the next blood tests, they said it was the waiting and worrying that got to them and they didn't have to with me.
I learned this lesson the first time I had a needle phobic in a touchy feelly way I asked her how she would feel more comfortable and she picked my chair, which I was happy with, until I realised a spinning chair is not ideal, I was chasing her arm in circles and all it needed was the Benny Hill music to have made that farce complete smile
Are you a red head OP?

hellsbells76 Wed 30-Jan-13 23:07:25

I'm a student midwife (nearly qualified) and although I get blood more often than I miss it these days, I still dread going to take it but get an equivalent immense feeling of satisfaction and relief when it does work (that 'hiss' of blood going into a vacutainer is music to my ears!)

mrsbunnylove Wed 30-Jan-13 23:01:46

you mean you didn't bleed to death just to oblige her? tch, tch. how inconsiderate of you!
did she get some used wipes out of the bin to go over your open wound? they do that at our local hospital. in two departments, so its not just one rogue nurse.

HoHoHoNoYouDont Wed 30-Jan-13 22:52:51

Feeling dizzy just reading this thread.

Casmama Wed 30-Jan-13 22:38:52

I had to get bloods taken by a midwife hen I was pregnant and she tried six times before eventually getting some out of a tiny vein going over my wrist bone- I admired her perseverance as she even had me submerge my arms in a basin of warm water.

Giving blood a couple of years before and they had to try both arms before getting a pint. For some reason they bandaged both arms instead of a plaster and I walked out to find blood running down one arm and dripping all over the floor. I don't have good veins!

Bue Wed 30-Jan-13 22:16:11

One of my first go's was a pregnancy booking appt of a doctor (bad) who brought along her rather arrogant surgeon husband (worse). As I went to take the blood he said to his wife, "Do you want ME to do it instead?" hmm I knew I had to do it perfectly or my name was mud - and to my utter amazement I did! I'm still terrible with wobbly or tiny veins though.

brighthair Wed 30-Jan-13 22:09:23

My veins are crap. Went for a blood test and she took one look and said "ooh I will pop and get X, she's our little vampire, never failed yet"
Sure enough she got it first time (never happened before) apparently the vein is at an odd angle? Was interesting watching

Sparklingbrook Wed 30-Jan-13 21:59:49

That's good Fakebook. DS still has the faint tummy op scar. It's weird to think he got it at 5 weeks old. and now he's 11.

Fakebook Wed 30-Jan-13 21:43:20

It's okay! He has scars on his little hands now, like three dents, so I get reminded everytime I see them anyway. Turned out he didn't have an infection and all was well in the end.

Sparklingbrook Wed 30-Jan-13 21:34:12

Fakebook sorry I have made you remember. sad

People taking blood hate me, I wont let anyone take any from anywhere but my hand or wrist. I've been shouted at many times for it.

Doesn't help that I have a vein on my wrist that likes to fool people, it pops way up, is massive and bouncy but doesn't like people bothering it and will really only perform when being attacked with a needle and syringe (according to one of my GPs who figured this out it's something to do with the pressure in the vein?) however no one ever listens to me when I say this, they go for that one before any others and refuse to use a syringe so use a butterfly and it never works and I always end up repeatedly stabbed and they always do that horrid lifting the needle up and wiggling it which is fucking agony.

I used to always have mines taken by the phlebotemist at the GP surgery before she left, she was brilliant and I miss her.

Lostonthemoors Wed 30-Jan-13 21:29:31

I had a lovely conversation with the last phlebotamist who took my blood. She said for half the week she works at GOSH getting tiny needles into veins of the smallest sick babies.

Unsurprisingly her technique was amazing and you could hardly feel the needle even going in. I bet she is great with all the upset babies and parents as she was very calm and caring.

thanks to all lovely phlebotamists reading.

Fakebook Wed 30-Jan-13 21:24:54

Sparkling, you've just reminded me of when DS was born. He was underweight and his temperature was too high with every check so they suspected he might have an infection. He was rushed to the nicu and they tried three times on each hand to fit a cannula and finally got a vein in the right hand after an hour. Because of my needle phobia, I was absolutely terrified and a complete wreck, but had to stand there trying to console ds as he was screaming the place down. I hate needles. Really hate them.

libelulle Wed 30-Jan-13 21:14:10

Those who got lines into the veins of my son born at 2lb4oz are the ones who really deserve a medal. I still have no idea how they manage to find the veins in a baby that size - his wrists were not much fatter than an adult finger. The many scars on his hands and feet suggest it wasn't easy, certainlysad But now the trauma is a few years old I do also marvel at the mechanics of it.

JollyRedGiant Wed 30-Jan-13 21:13:43

I like to watch the needle while they take blood. It really freaks out the inexperienced.

I watched when I got my contraceptive implant in too, but nearly passed out watching the removal so I looked away the second time I had one put in.

apostropheuse Wed 30-Jan-13 21:02:16

sparklingbrook when my son broke his arm in a couple of places he had to go to theatre to have it repaired, so he couldn't be given painkillers orally and he too had to have suppositories for pain relief. The thing is, every time the poor nurse tried to go near him he couldn't stop giggling, then she was giggling, then everyone else was too. It took several attempts to get them in. The wee soul, he was about 8 or 9 at the time. grin

Sparklingbrook Wed 30-Jan-13 20:58:59

I think they used to do something with your earlobe when you give blood, but now it's your finger.

Liking the sound of magic cream apostroph smile

apostropheuse Wed 30-Jan-13 20:56:29

I had blood taken from my earlobe the other day, to check blood gas levels as part of a lung function test. It wasn't that painful as they put "magic cream" on the earlobe first. grin Yep they really do. It saves them having to take it from an artery in your wrist.

I now have a rather impressive bruise on my ear though - last time it was painful during the procedure, but no bruise afterwards. I guess you don't get away Scot-free.

Sparklingbrook Wed 30-Jan-13 20:54:12

Yes hazey DSs are 13 and 11 now, and when they are moaning about being poorly but refuse to take anything 'because of the taste' I often suggest a Paracetamol up the bum. They haven't agreed to it weirdly. grin

Loislane78 Wed 30-Jan-13 20:53:10

I've taken several courses of blood thinners including warfarin. At the phlebotomist will know, you have your blood checked regularly when you're on warfarin so makes no difference even if you were! They don't use different size needles or anything confused.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now