AIBU to say "no" to more gadgets for 9yr old DS

(67 Posts)
Dotty342kids Tue 29-Jan-13 11:00:58

So, my DS is 10 in March.
He has had a Nintendo DS for 2-3yrs, we have a family Wii, and he has access to the family laptop for supervised internet access, games etc. He also has an MP3 player for music.

For his birthday he's asking for an Ipod or a Playstation 3.
I feel really sad that he just wants more gadget type things and when we chatted about it this morning he is very much feeling that "all" his friends have X boxes, Playstations, Ipods etc and therefore he's missing out.

We could afford a gift like this but I just don't want him to have any more of these types of things. I should say too, that he does struggle to entertain himself and will rely on screen based things if allowed to so I do limit him to approx an hour a day of tv/laptop/Wii time.

AIBU to refuse to buy him any more of these types of things? He did say he'd like to text / message his friends so I may consider a very basic phone (without internet access).
How do you handle boys, in particular, and their love for all things gadgety / screen based? Am I just being old fashioned?

Valium - we haven't had the x box (or that bloody thing as I now call it) over the summer yet so we will see how it goes. DS is not an out doorsy kid at all (much to my despair) so I think I will physically have to boot his backside out the door smile

valiumredhead Tue 29-Jan-13 11:49:09

We have Monopoly on the xbox - played it a lot over Xmas, it was great fun grin

valiumredhead Tue 29-Jan-13 11:49:50

betty I do a lot of booting out as well grin

Monololy.....aarghhhhh................DS loves monopoly but the board game version. I know I shouldn't moan but a game has been known to last 3 hours. I usually make bad decisions and go bankrupt on purpose but don't think DS has caught on yet.

He can't win can he hmm

Startail Tue 29-Jan-13 11:54:21

iPod touches are amazing gadgets and wonderfully cheap to run compared to £12 plus awful DS games.

They also allow you to say no phone very firmly as they do everything a phone does except run up huge contracts.

You can set up email, face time and their are messaging aps.

Clearly if you supervise the Internet you would want to rig up protection.

I'm a very bad mummy, I ban FB and chat rooms, but I have no soft wear protection in place.

I have lovely, but bright and not beyond being devious girls. If it was banned here they would do it somewhere else.
Also they know their geek DF can spy on our wifi if he so chooses.

socharlotte Tue 29-Jan-13 11:55:47

Wiis are rubbish-out of date and babyish !
Of course he want a playstaion or xbox because that is what all his friends will have.Please don't make him feel bad for being a normal 10 yera old boy, and wanting what normal 10 yr old boys have.

valiumredhead Tue 29-Jan-13 11:57:00

Ds is not allowed on FB or chat rooms. He mainly looks at really boring Minecraft videos on youtube... <yawn> on his laptop which he has to use in the front room so I can peer over his shoulder occasionally.

No, my DS is not allowed fb or chat rooms anyway not that he has ever asked. He just likes his i phone for you tube looking at silly videos. He knows that the day I find anything inappropriate on his phone is the day it gets taken away from him. Mind you, he is quite a niave innocent 10 year old so I don't have to worry......yet!!

Sulawesi Tue 29-Jan-13 12:04:16

There was a very interesting news snippet the other night saying that crime amongst teenagers (older ones I assume) has dropped quite substantially in the Western world as they tend to be inside playing all the games and tiddling around on social media instead of being bored and looking for trouble on the streets. A little silver lining maybe.

Currently my DC's are obsessed with Minecraft which seems relatively harmless, but already they are talking of other children (or their older brothers/dads) playing COD and Halo - I just dread it so sad.

valiumredhead Tue 29-Jan-13 12:05:43

Halo isn't so bad, I don't know about 4 but the rest are ok - at least it is aliens and not killing people like COD.

My DS loves a variety.....minecraft is a big hit as it Halo and also COD!

Sulawesi Tue 29-Jan-13 12:07:50

Oh Valium those Minecraft videos! What on earth is that all about? If I ever hear another clip of that dreadful man droning on about locking bits of wall together it will be too soon!

I like him to play Minecraft in the week....seems more calming somehow smile

Sulawesi Tue 29-Jan-13 12:09:07

Betty does your 10yr old play COD and Halo? Are they awful or am I being over protective?

valiumredhead Tue 29-Jan-13 12:10:41

I can't even look at the screen for more than a second or my eyes go squiffy watching Minecraft - don't get the appeal at all grin

No COD in this house - I really put my foot down about that, poor ds was the only 9 year old not playing it when it was popular at his school - I positively embraced Minecraft as it was so tame in comparison grin

Sul - you will get a mixed response. I was always of the mindset that no way was he playing COD but he ended up playing it round some one elses house and then DH bought it for him.

I was initially horrified but we had a chat about it. He knows it is not a normal situation (I don't want him being blase about war etc), he knows it is make believe....the only thing I am not massively keen on is the fact that there is swearing but he knows not to repeat it and he hears worse in the playground I am sure.

It's up to you really. As I said, I wasn't overly happy but he is aware it is only a game. Most people on here though will tell you not to, you just need to make up your own mind.

valiumredhead Tue 29-Jan-13 12:15:10

Our compromise was to turn the blood off and play 'split screen' with at his mates' houses.

Halo is ok imo.

Some of the Assasins Creed is ok with the blood and language turned off - actually most of the language is in Italian <educational!>

Oh yeah, forgot about Assasins Creed. Don't know if DS actually knows what he is doing...seems to wander up and down all the time and not actually do much. Still, he says he knows what he is doing.

valiumredhead Tue 29-Jan-13 12:22:01

Do we have the same ds betty? I'm pretty convinced ds hasn't a clue either! grin

Sulawesi Tue 29-Jan-13 12:25:32

Ah ok, I'm not too bothered about the language tbh as I'm a bit sweary myself and they are always telling me off for it blush. I thought there was gratuitous rape in one of them though, scoring points for it or is that just an urban myth?

grin at educational Italian!

Possibly Valium...is he very insistent he knows exactly what to do and just makes out that you are a dinosaur who has no clue grin

Sul - ok well since you admitted it, I have been known to let the odd bad word slip out and DH can be dreadful too!!!

I haven't seen a rape scene so if it does exist it is on one of the games DS doesn't have. Not sure if that is true or if it is scaremongering but am sure someone will enlighten you.

valiumredhead Tue 29-Jan-13 12:30:57

Language is fine in general BUT the language on some of these games is pretty ripe - tea bagging, whores and all sorts of other stuff that is not on in my book.

Sulawesi Tue 29-Jan-13 12:32:48

oh lord what is tea bagging when it's at home? My language is sort of earthy farmers type language rather than Bronx!

valiumredhead Tue 29-Jan-13 12:33:44

Apparently bollock sucking! I had to look it up!

See Valium I haven't heard all that or any of that..........I shall hang around next time he plays it and listen out for it. I have just heard the odd f word but that's about it.

Mind you, I think DS would think someone was going to make a cuppa brew if he heard that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now