To be really annoyed that my all time favourite girl's name is so bloody popular?

(93 Posts)
Theicingontop Sat 26-Jan-13 17:54:53

Isobel.

Really miffed. I was convincing myself up until now that maybe it's not that popular, and besides, I'm in love with the Scottish spelling and everyone else goes for the fancy French version, so she'll be a bit different when it comes to school.

Starting to realise that if I don't want my so far imaginary daughter to be one of hundreds of Isobels I'll have to rethink it. Kind of disappointing. I've had it picked out for years.

Anyone else?

Esker Sat 26-Jan-13 18:21:52

Ysmay? That way you also get Izzi as nickname.

SoleSource Sat 26-Jan-13 18:23:19

Why be annoyed?

RooneyMara Sat 26-Jan-13 18:23:22

There are hundreds of Eves and Amelias here too.

The most unusual name in ds2's class has to be Shelby! I think it's American?

Theicingontop Sat 26-Jan-13 18:23:33

It was Isobel or Elodie. And I'm starting to see more Elodies these days too so it's like they're pillaging my name stocks. <whinge>

determinedma Sat 26-Jan-13 18:23:35

How about the Scottish Ishbel?

Euphemia Sat 26-Jan-13 18:23:51

EuphemiaLennox is a copycat different person.

I hadn't noticed her until someone posted on a thread "Euphemia, what you are saying makes so much sense," and I though "Huh? No-one ever says that to me!" grin

Euphemia Sat 26-Jan-13 18:25:04

I'm a primary teacher, so I see all the innovations coming through. hmm

Kveta Sat 26-Jan-13 18:28:14

I don't see the problem. If you like the name, use it.

Meglet Sat 26-Jan-13 18:29:20

rooney there was a Shelby in Steel Magnolias IIRC.

I always liked Isabella, but realised there were a few of them around so crossed it off my list.

GlaikitCheiftanOThePuddinRace Sat 26-Jan-13 18:31:26

Now Euphemia is a wonderfully underused name, with loads on NN potential!

Elspeth is another that I like along similar lines.

GlaikitCheiftanOThePuddinRace Sat 26-Jan-13 18:33:20

Euphie
Effie
Phemie
Mia
Phia
smile

Euphemia Sat 26-Jan-13 18:35:04

My dad's auntie was Phamie. smile His posher cousin was Faye. smile

GlaikitCheiftanOThePuddinRace Sat 26-Jan-13 18:36:27

See loads of potential!

MadamFolly Sat 26-Jan-13 18:38:45

We have a Shelby in the school I work in, the name I notice we are overrun in atm is Dylan, there are many many Dylans.

SofaKing Sat 26-Jan-13 18:40:18

Use it. I nearly named dd Sophia as I liked Sophie but it was too popular. When at tots singing with ds1 there were two newborn Sophias whose parents glared daggers at each other the whole time.

I went back to Sophie and even though it is very popular here in four years I have only known 3 others.

Remember; everyone else is only copying. You have the real one wink

GlaikitCheiftanOThePuddinRace Sat 26-Jan-13 18:41:04

Is dylan the new naughty boy name? It was Darren when I was at school.

girliefriend Sat 26-Jan-13 18:41:51

yanbu I had no idea how popular my dds name was and she was named after a favourite great aunt.

I do however feel I have let her down though by giving her such a popular name, she knows at least 4 other girls with the name at her school sad

My name is very popular now but growing up I never met another girl with my name. Sorry frustrating not to say actual names!!

Yep, loads of Isobels in Surrey. One Ishbel at dd1's school and I think that's lovely and far less commonly used.

I called my DD the name that I had chosen as a schoolgirl as my fave name only to discover that it was the most popular name that year.

There were literally thousands of them at her school* and she was known by her much-hated middle name as the teachers had several in the class with the same last initial. If only I' d had MN to check these things out ...

* May contain exaggeration

SamanthaStormer Sat 26-Jan-13 18:43:43

Loads of Isobel's here too. One in DS1's class, one in nursery at the same school and one girl I used to go to school with's daughter too.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Sat 26-Jan-13 18:44:33

i wouldn't let it put you off
you might never meet another
dd2 has a name outside of the top 100, and we know four others locally
dd1 has a top 20 name, and we know no others.

LadyMargolotta Sat 26-Jan-13 18:48:41

Gorgeous name though. I would still use it.

DesperatelySeekingSedatives Sat 26-Jan-13 18:57:25

Awwww I love the name Isobel! Was the name I was going to give DC2 had he not been a DS smile

It's popularity doesnt bother me at all. DD has a popular name. I think it's one of the top 5 but oddly enough she is the only one of them in the infants (I don't know about the juniors though).

I don't think it's a name that dates either. I have at least 3 Isobels/Isabellas/Isabels in my family who are several generations older than me (26).

AgnesAndTheOthers Sat 26-Jan-13 19:02:01

I have an Isobel. The only one in her class, was the only one infants and still the only in juniors, though there is an Isabel two years ahead of her, so not popular at all round here in the south west.

Maybe you could move OP? [bsmile]

LucilleBluth Sat 26-Jan-13 19:05:29

I have a Dylan and believe me 12 years ago when I was pregnant with him there wasn't another Dylan in sight......things change.

My Dylan was named after Bob....I'm sure he was conceived after DH and I left a Bob Dylan concert early because we couldn't hear him.....we went and got drunk in the hotel bar and hey presto 9 months later.......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now