To have said i found a priest physically attractive? Friend thinks it's 'wrong'

(36 Posts)
UncertainMum Fri 25-Jan-13 12:53:22

I was at my daughter's school talent show today with my friend. She asked me who the man was at the front with the head teacher (she couldn't see his collar because of how he was standing). "I said he's the parish priest, he's really good looking, isn't he?"

She looked disgusted! She said it was terrible saying that about a priest because they represent God. i asked if she thought he wasn't good looking, and she got a bit flustered and said she doesn't look at priests that way. Yet she's usually the person pointing out nice-looking men wherever we go.

We're both Catholics and it's a Catholic school if that matters.

StephaniePowers Fri 25-Jan-13 14:29:21

I've met quite a few hot lamas blush

Father Ralph was formative for me blush

tittytittyhanghang Fri 25-Jan-13 14:25:38

Wonder what your friend would make of the episode of SATC where Samantha finds a priest good looking? Maybe it would show how restraint you really were smile

wigglesrock Fri 25-Jan-13 13:21:23

God, I know about 3 really good looking priests. Although I'm never sure if they are objectively that attractive or whether its the fact that they are priests makes me go a bit Thorn Birdy.

Why can't you say if they're attractive. I know our local priest has a bit of a soft spot (hmm) for Juliana Marguiles [shrug]

chicaguapa Fri 25-Jan-13 13:21:22

Ask your friend what she thinks of Gorgeous Georg

SolidSnake Fri 25-Jan-13 13:20:19

YANBU You can't help who you find attractive! You said he's really good looking, not "He looks a good shag" grin

RoxyRobin Fri 25-Jan-13 13:19:29

When a new priest arrived in the parish one of my mother's cronies (aged 70+) commented, "What a waste of an good-looking man!"

We're only human - of course we're going to find some priests attractive (they might find us attractive, too). The problem lies when a woman finds him attractive because he's a priest and as such forbidden fruit. Or makes a bloody fool of herself by flirting with him, which you occasionally see.

Nivet Fri 25-Jan-13 13:17:05

My first thought was Father DeBricassart, he was HOT.

Tell your friend that whilst visiting the Vatican City, my friend and I were thinking sinful thoughts about several of the priests. grin

Farewell - another crossed post!

Oh, and didn't Bishop Brennan have a son....
(disclaimer, he may be a fictional character...)

MardyBraWouldDoEddieRedmayne Fri 25-Jan-13 13:15:29

Yes Onthebottom, it is.

MardyBraWouldDoEddieRedmayne Fri 25-Jan-13 13:14:45

He did come out eventually didn't he?

mardy I can't click on that cos I'm in work, but I assume it's the Thorn Birds? When we were in school my mate had a MAHOOSIVE crush on him in that role.

Also, another girl I was in school with, ended up married to a priest (Catholic, he left the priesthood for her). Last I heard they were v happy with a couple of children. I assume she thinks he's gorgeous.

Finally, my grandfather trained to be a Catholic priest, but the head of the seminary told him, shortly before ordination, that the priesthood wasn't for him. Several months later my granny spotted him on a Legion of Mary outing, and drooled over him (6 foot tall, trained as a carpenter, wearing tweed plus fours). So she found an almost priest very sexy! (when she was 90 she was still talking about that day...)

MarianneM Fri 25-Jan-13 13:14:22

P.S. Not all priests are celibate - including Catholic (and I mean married!).

MardyBraWouldDoEddieRedmayne Fri 25-Jan-13 13:13:27

And remember that music Farewell - "Ding-y Ding-y Doo Dah..."

Farewelltoarms Fri 25-Jan-13 13:13:13

And oh my god, that trailer. Classic. Even in 49 seconds you can see just what an amazingly wooden actress she is. And there's something of the Cliff Richard about him which makes it difficult to believe he's transported by passion.

Farewelltoarms Fri 25-Jan-13 13:11:39

Mardy - you and I crossed posts - showing our age...

Your friend is being weird - I reckon she was looking at him "that way" until you told her who he was, and then she got confused about being caught out by totally normal feelings.

Celibate people can still be physically attractive.
And they can still recognise that other people are physically attractive.

They just aren't allowed to follow that though into action.

Farewelltoarms Fri 25-Jan-13 13:11:17

Jeez has she never seen or read The Thorn Birds? Ahh nostalgia for Father Ralph de bric-a-brac and Meggie. 'Remember Father, roses have nasty, hooky thorns,' etc, etc.

HormonalHousewife Fri 25-Jan-13 13:10:33

Makes confession interesting anyway if you have to repent tour 'lustful' thoughts...

MardyBraWouldDoEddieRedmayne Fri 25-Jan-13 13:10:17
jidelgin Fri 25-Jan-13 13:07:48

YANBU It's not like you were trying to throw the leg over him or anything

Tallgiraffe Fri 25-Jan-13 13:06:34

Goo hmm good obviously!

MarianneM Fri 25-Jan-13 13:06:16

My DH is going to be a priest - am I allowed to find him attractive ;)

meditrina Fri 25-Jan-13 13:05:40

Observing that you find someone's looks pleasing is fine.

Lusting after a man who you know has made vows (whether priestly or indeed matrimonial) which makes him unavailable to you is wrong.

Tallgiraffe Fri 25-Jan-13 13:05:31

YANBU - I'm married to one grin Anglican, I grant you, but still I reckon he's goo looking!

loopylou6 Fri 25-Jan-13 13:05:07

shock priests can't shag?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now