to be fed up with DSS2 staring at DD when she's sleeping on my exposed boob?

(231 Posts)
Enfyshedd Mon 21-Jan-13 19:28:43

DSS2 is 6, DD is 8mo.

I'll admit that DSS2 has been irritating me a bit recently (like constantly losing his school shoes in his room by chucking his comics, toys & dirty laundry on top of them and when he nearly brained DD yesterday with a wooden shape sorter toy when he lost his grip when swinging it around angry), but kneeling up on a chair to stare at a sleeping, BFing DD is really bugging me right now.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get him to stop looking?

VinegarDrinker Mon 21-Jan-13 19:30:00

Sounds endearingly cute to me.

I thought you were going to say he was 16 or something.

Tweasels Mon 21-Jan-13 19:30:42

Why don't you want him to look?

AnyFucker Mon 21-Jan-13 19:31:27

Do you not like him much ?

baremadness Mon 21-Jan-13 19:31:30

Yabu. He is 6

AnnIonicIsoTronic Mon 21-Jan-13 19:31:38

Well, put away your boob hmm

(hormonal pfb?)

he's six hmm

Why not talk to him? Chat about what he feels when staring at the baby, keep it calm and unjudgy. He might surprise you with his answers.

somedayma Mon 21-Jan-13 19:31:55

Sounds like you don't like him v much

JeezyOrangePips Mon 21-Jan-13 19:32:15

He's 6.

Just ask him to go and get a book and you'll read together. Of tell him to go play. Or tidy his room.

It shouldn't be too difficult to think of a distraction for a bored 6 year old.

VinegarDrinker Mon 21-Jan-13 19:33:49

Honestly, he's gazing (adoringly?) at his cute, sleeping baby sister. What is there to be annoyed about?

HoneyDragon Mon 21-Jan-13 19:33:57

He's six she's his sister your mnetting it's just a boob.

Wingdingdong Mon 21-Jan-13 19:35:09

It's normal curiosity. DD was like that with DS. A friend's DS (5) was full of questions, came and sat next to me and wanted "a better look"! Nothing to do with step anything , he's probably not seen a BFing baby at close quarters.

Use a muslin over your shoulder to screen yourself. The huge ones are really useful (jj cole, Aden + Anais on Amazon both do, Boden has them too) and you can use them for sun shields, buggy sheets, impromptu towels etc.

gordyslovesheep Mon 21-Jan-13 19:35:14

wow - he's SIX - seriously - stop

He's 6? looking lovingly/curiously/inquisitively/comfortably/boredly at his ds and sm. what's your problem?
If he's curious about bfing talk to him about it. Plenty of adults will pass an inquisitive look at a bfing woman and they presumably understand it. He's a little boy ffs.

RedHelenB Mon 21-Jan-13 19:36:08

DS has a fascination with boobs cos he does n't have them!!!

But it sounds as though dss is fascinated by his new sister which is fair enough surely? You can bf discreetly you know if he is making you feel uncomfortable.

pigletmania Mon 21-Jan-13 19:36:57

Yabvvu Mabey he's curious, don't flash your boob than! Use a muslin or put your top dwn a bit. He's only 6 fgs, you don sound lik you like him very much

silverfrog Mon 21-Jan-13 19:37:08

umm, it's what 6 year olds do. thy're curious, and my not have seen a feeding baby before.

and before you say 'yes, but dd is 8mo now', my dd2 (nearly 6) was just chatting to me today about 6mo ds feeding, and looking/staring, and commenting, and asking about boobs and nipples etc. and she's seen ds feed (several times) every day since he was born!

fwiw, my dsd does too, and she is a teenager (well, we don't have the same discussions re: boobs and nipples grin). she too, has not seen many babies feeding, and is getting closer to the age she might have one, and is interested.

just one of those things.

why do you want him not to look?

ImperialBlether Mon 21-Jan-13 19:37:08

But some six year olds can give you the creeps by the way they stare at your breasts when you're feeding! Not all children are nice!

But cover yourself up, ffs, OP! It's easily sorted, isn't it?

Back2Two Mon 21-Jan-13 19:37:29

Sounds like he might be seeking your attention too. He's six, and she's 8months. He's hiding shoes and swinging toys and trying to be a part of the lovely cosy moments you're sharing with her. Maybe he's trying to join in.

If it's the staring at the boob you're worried about, cover your boob or better still just forget it. He's six and boobs are natural.

coldcupoftea Mon 21-Jan-13 19:37:52

YABU. Firstly he's 6, he's interested in his baby sister. Secondly, if she's asleep why not put your boob away?! Or cover up a bit if you don't want him to look.

dischordant Mon 21-Jan-13 19:38:45

He's presumably part of your family? You wouldn't talk about your biological son like that so why him? He's only six, bless him.

Backtobedlam Mon 21-Jan-13 19:38:57

He sounds like a sweetheart, probably just interested. My ds often asks all sorts about babies...how they grow, how they're made, what they eat, it's natural curiosity. I'd be so upset if someone was talking about my son like that OP, please be a big more sensitive to his needs as well as your newborns.

YABU, he's only six!

josie81 Mon 21-Jan-13 19:39:23

If it bothers you then put a blanket over yourself discreetly and distract him gently. Poor kid is probably just curious. Plus the 'irritating' behaviour sounds like fairly standard 6yo boy stuff to me. Please don't embarrass or upset him by making this a big deal or you will make him resent his sister. I feel a bit sad for him to be honest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now