to go to america alone for 4 weeks

(116 Posts)
whyisthepathsounclear Sun 20-Jan-13 18:33:52

So, my husband left me a few months ago, after only 5 months of marriage. Horrible situation.

Anyway, I am trying hard to move on and am coping very well duringbthe working week. The weekends are pretty sad and lonely though. I am atteacher and the school hols are the hardest time. Xmas was horrid. 2 whole weeks alone with my sadness! So, even though it is a while away I am already dreading the summer. 6 weeks is an awful lot of time to fill.

I have been thinking of going over to the states for 4 weeks, maybe travelling around a bit and doing something I would never have donew if we were together. However, when I told my parents and some friends my plan they were horrified. They think I am being rash. I am preferring to think of it as being impulsive and enjoying my youth now I am free of cheating ex.

Is it really a stupid idea? Anyone else done this that can offer advice?

BillyBollyDandy Sun 20-Jan-13 19:15:40

Excellent idea

One word of warning, Greyhounds are cheap for a reason. I spent 13 hours on one <shudders>

Boston amazing

If it was me I would be doing San Francisco, LA, Vegas...

envy

queenofthepirates Sun 20-Jan-13 19:19:41

I spent most of my 20s and the first half of my 30s running away from my problems, merrily globe trotting and not facing up my life at home

Best thing I could have done. I have a head full of memories, an address book full of friends and a DD 2yo but that's another story grin

RedPencils Sun 20-Jan-13 19:20:20

25, no kids, good job to come back to. Go go go

Get googling.

lljkk Sun 20-Jan-13 19:21:47

Take me with you.......

karatekimmi Sun 20-Jan-13 19:24:01

I'm a teacher and before dc I wet away for about 4-6 weeks every summer. So no YANBU
In America I travelled with a company calle trek America - small groups and they run various tours. It might be easier if you want the comfort of not having to do it all by yourself.

Climbingpenguin Sun 20-Jan-13 19:24:21

we spent four weeks travelling the bottom left corner (didn't do vegas, LA, joshua tree or canyon as had already done those). Half the time in California (yosemite, death valley, big sur, san fran, san diego) rest working our way to yellowstone and back again.

Let me know if you want a copy of our itinerary or link to the blog we did during it. Otherwise good luck and go for it. There was still stuff we had to choose not to do as there was not enough time.

AyeOopMoose Sun 20-Jan-13 19:27:41

What a GREAT opportunity! So many amazing places in America.

If you're going to San Francisco, try and get into the Sierra Nevada mountains, really beautiful.

If you're into activities go to a place called Heavenly. It's a ski resort in winter but in the summer they do mountain biking and treks that are amazing.

Also don't forget the Napa Valley for wine tasting grin

lunchbox Sun 20-Jan-13 19:27:42

I did 4 wks coast to coast about 8 years ago, was the most fun I ever had!
I went with a company called trek America, met up with 12 strangers, a driver and a minivan and headed off across America. Made some really good friends, discovered a love of camping, and had the time of my life!

Do it, you'll regret it if you don't!

Climbingpenguin Sun 20-Jan-13 19:27:54

Otherwise there you can ride the Moose in Canada if you want to Vancouver and the Rockies, that was a good way of travelling alone.

you travel in a mini bus and fee includes the hostel stays. If you want to get off somewhere for a few days you then hop when another bus rides through. You just ring the office to let them know what you are doing.

susanann Sun 20-Jan-13 19:32:00

Cant think of a reason for you not to go to be honest! If you can afford it then go for it! Have a brilliant time!

foslady Sun 20-Jan-13 19:34:08

Book a ticket BUT put Foslady as the name on it - you're a teacher , I'd trust you with dd for a month!!!! grin

Pandemoniaa Sun 20-Jan-13 19:36:06

Go for it, OP. You'll have a great time!

I recommend Seattle and the Northwest myself - Portland and the Oregon coast is fabulous and then you could mosey on down to S.Francisco. The South West is interesting too - New Mexico is well worth a visit. ds1 spent 6 months travelling in the USA the other year. He cycled down the Pacific coastline from Vancouver to San Diego, fell in love on the way and is now happily engaged to his American fiance. He had a fantastic time and in my travels in the USA, I've met nothing but friendliness too.

But I'd not recommend using a Greyhound. It might be a way to see the "real USA" but in there's reality and then there is the horror that can be a Greyhound bus.

Dysgu Sun 20-Jan-13 19:36:53

Another vote here for TrekAmerica - I did the 4 week coast to coast aaaaages ago and had a great time. If you get a great guide/driver like we did, you can adapt the itinerary according to the wishes of the people on the trip.

I have also done Greyhound - would struggle to do it now (at the ancient age of 40) but when I was 23 it was a fabulous was to travel. Yes it is cheap and the only people who use the greyhound are travellers and poor people but I still had a great time. If you opt for Greyhound, buy you Ameripass in this country before you go. this book is a good read too but quite old now so not sure how much things have changed.

I am also a teacher and feeling rather envious of you having the summer holidays stretched out ahead of you with so many exciting plans to consider. I am just waiting until DCs are all old enough (DC3 not even born yet!) so we can all head off to Europe together for 4 weeks each summer and see where we end up...

Good luck

Dysgu Sun 20-Jan-13 19:39:33

Just beware - I loved it so much as 23 that I have since spent two separate times living and working in the USA - and would move back to either Boston or San Francisco or Seattle straight away!

Something else to consider but you would need to get your school on board and it takes more planning but this teacher exchange programme was a fabulous year for me too!

SoftKittyWarmKitty Sun 20-Jan-13 19:41:34

Go, go, go!

If I didn't have DS that's so something I'd love to do, even though I'm 15 years older than you grin. I love my own company and really regret never travelling/going on holiday alone, so my plan is to do a big solo trip when DS is an adult. He's only 6 so at least I've got lots of time to save!

Agree that the naysayers are just jealous. Go and enjoy yourself. It'll be the making of you. Don't forget to come back after and let us know how you got on smile.

Nuttybiscuits Sun 20-Jan-13 19:42:31

Hi - sorry you've been through such a shitty time. Just wanted to add my two pennies worth. A few years ago, my ex left me very suddenly. I had always wanted to plan an exciting holiday with him, but he was having none of it. So within days of him leaving, I thought sod it, I'm going to do something amazing.

2 Weeks later, I was kayaking with killer whales in Canada. Best thing ever. Planning the trip really helped to take my mind off things, I felt empowered, excited at doing something for myself, and the excitement of looking forward to the trip really cheered me up. Trip itself was fabulous, and people were so impressed with me being strong and striking out alone (I had actually travelled alone quite a bit before anyway). It really felt like therapy, and I felt like I left a lot of the sadness behind me and moved on smile

Travelling alone in America will be fine. Enjoy every minute of your planning, and the run up to it. It will be the making of you.

StrawberryMojito Sun 20-Jan-13 19:42:55

I spent 3 weeks travelling down the western states of US when I was 20, it was amazing, one of the best holidays I've ever been on. I am totally jealous.

I recommend San Francisco (but book in advance of your trip if you want to do a tour of Alcatraz, it books up quickly), Yosemite is stunning as is Yellowstone, California is fab generally. Jackson Hole in Wyoming is pretty cool and you can go to a rodeo. I wouldnt go to US though without seeing New York (which I did on a separate trip)...maybe a friend could meet you there for a mini break?

gimmecakeandcandy Sun 20-Jan-13 19:43:55

Go! I would say do something like trekamerica too though just so you have planned things to do and people in the same situation?

But one thing... You had better update us on your return ok? I want to know all about it - and if you meet a handsome American! wink

curlywurl Sun 20-Jan-13 19:44:44

Have a look at www.greentortoise.com
I did a trip from New York to sanfrancisco it was brilliant

whyisthepathsounclear Sun 20-Jan-13 19:59:38

I am positively hopping with enthusiasm after all these positive comments. I can't wait to get researching. I haven't smiled so much for a while!
I can report back to all the naysayers that not one wise mumsnetter thought it was a bad idea! Thanks for all the encouragement. Thinking about it makes me feel like I have a whole new world ahead of me. I hope I can leave some of my sadness in America and bring back some amazing memories.
Maybe I could go Hollywood and shack up with a lovely movie star? A girl can dream....

whyisthepathsounclear Sun 20-Jan-13 20:03:31

I am positively hopping with enthusiasm after all these positive comments. I can't wait to get researching. I haven't smiled so much for a while!
I can report back to all the naysayers that not one wise mumsnetter thought it was a bad idea! Thanks for all the encouragement. Thinking about it makes me feel like I have a whole new world ahead of me. I hope I can leave some of my sadness in America and bring back some amazing memories.
Maybe I could go Hollywood and shack up with a lovely movie star? A girl can dream....

susanann Sun 20-Jan-13 20:11:20

youre so excited you posted twice! lol. Good for you x

Worley Sun 20-Jan-13 20:11:49

ooooh I havnt read all of thread but you should go!! if I could have done that I would have after leaving the cheating ex!
Colorado is brilliant.. Denver, Vail, Beaver Creek smile I want to go back once ds's have flown the nest.

megglevache Sun 20-Jan-13 20:13:05

GO!!!!!!

Worley Sun 20-Jan-13 20:15:35

actually... can you do the trek America with dc? (14&6)...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now