Friend wants dinner and housework before I can have newborn cuddles...

(264 Posts)
Sal77 Sun 20-Jan-13 11:40:30

My close friend has recently had a baby. I went round to see her after she'd got out of hospital with a lasagne I'd cooked for them for dinner. When I arrived I was given a piece of paper with a list of chores and told to choose one (I did some hoovering whilst she sat on the sofa with the baby, her DH was at the gym she said). It was a little awkward. Only after that could I have a look/cuddle of the baby.

Now, don't get me wrong, I understand having a newborn baby is hard work and I'm happy to help out (I also bought the bump Christmas presents, birthday presents and arranged the baby shower before baby was born). I didn't mind cooking her and her DH dinner, but I feel as though being asked to do housework on arrival was a bit rude given I'd already done dinner...

My friend did mention before the baby arrived about her idea to only allow guests over if they bring dinner and do chores but I didn't think she was that serious about it... And of course I don't mind helping out with babysitting and cooking dinners... But I did think it very rude to ask me to hoover too...

AIBU?

drjohnsonscat Thu 07-Feb-13 14:32:42

I'd rather hoover than cuddle someone elses newborn

Hilarious. Although I hate hoovering so I'd have offered to thoughtfully take home the lasagne and eat it there to avoid leaving any mess for her to clean up.

detoxlatte Thu 07-Feb-13 14:29:48

This is so ridiculous it's funny. In a sad way.

It's the really frightening result of a combination of (a) totally entitled culture (b) current craze in populist culture for all things pregnancy/new mother related (c) ignorance.

As though the woman was thinking that just because she has had a baby, she can have help around the house.

When actually she should have thought about what housework actually needs to be done that week/fortnight (prob not a lot, esp if she had prepared herself before hand), and politely sought help from the correct quarter (DP) with what absoluyely couldn't be avoided.

The important bit is the baby, and her friendships, not being waited on herself!

It's so utterly depressing.

dampsponge Thu 07-Feb-13 14:04:47

I'm due my second in a few weeks. Had an awful time with my first dealing with unannounced visitors and cheeky fuckers who assume bringing a present made it ok to turn up at 9am.

Anyone who turns up this time will be handed a mop and told to get cracking.

lovetomoan Thu 07-Feb-13 13:52:05

Not everyone can hoover after giving birth, at the same time YANBU, you already gave her dinner.

As many others have pointed out, I bet she is a mumsnetter and took the advice literally.

mummytime Thu 07-Feb-13 13:51:49

Is she often like this? Does she take instructions literally?

Andro Thu 07-Feb-13 13:45:54

My friend had been in hospital for 6 weeks before giving birth and had had nothing but hospital food in that time, when I found out she was being discharged and decided to cook for her. I got a bit overexcited and made so much it took my friend and her DH nearly 2 weeks to eat everything blush fortunately she knows what I can be like when I start cooking!

Far from asking for chores etc in return for cuddles, she took one look at what I had brought and handed me the baby (I was terrified, despite having twin brothers 12 years my junior I had never held a baby) while she tucked in to the first decent meal she'd had in weeks (her words). She spent the next 10 minutes trying to apologise for her lack of manners...unnecessary to say the least under the circumstances.

Your friend was unreasonable, but a long friendship should be strong enough to deal with a one off incident of her not thinking clearly.

Scholes34 Thu 07-Feb-13 13:24:05

When I was a new mum, I loved people coming round for newborn cuddles whilst I was able to do some chores. I felt helpless pinned to the sofa with DD and was longing to do something "normal".

Actually, right now, dealing with teenagers, I'd love to go back to those times and be pinned to the sofa again.

OP - I think your friend was verging on rude and YANBU.

VenusRising Thu 07-Feb-13 11:51:49

Brilliant! Especially if she had a tough delivery.
No doubt OP when you have kids you'll think she's brilliant too!

I wish I had thought of that, rather than waiting hand and foot on any visiting relatives and friends who plonked themselves down on their behinds and expected tea.

maninawomansworld Thu 07-Feb-13 11:45:55

Let it go this time. If she tries it again just laugh it off in a jokey 'I'm not here to do your housework.. hahaha ' sort of way and then just don't bother going round any more.
When she asks why you've stopped visiting, just tell her straight without any hostility but in a matter or fact way.

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Mon 04-Feb-13 18:16:24

Heh Heh... I think it is funny grin especially that people were so nonplussed that they actually did it without saying 'give over you daft mare, give us the baby'

LightTheLampNotTheRat Mon 04-Feb-13 16:50:29

I'd have laughed and said "oh the house looks fine, don't worry about the hoovering - plenty of time to do that in a week or two". I don't think the idea of hoovering - anyone doing it - crossed my mind for WEEKS after my DCs were born. And rarely does now

trustissues75 Mon 04-Feb-13 16:45:18

I think your friend has less class than a Jersey Shore cast member...WTF?!

atthewelles Mon 04-Feb-13 16:40:31

I would be stunned if I called around to visit a friend and her new baby (with a pre-requested dinner) and was then handed the hoover. I would have no problem being asked to stick the kettle on, mind the baby for ten minutes so the new mum could nip out to the supermarket or make a phone call, run upstairs to fetch the changing bag and generally help out like that. I would also, if it was a close friend, probably offer to do some grocery shopping, hoover, wash the dishes or whatever. But being ordered to do housework (especially when her dp was at the gym; not at work, not out doing shopping; not in the kitchen making her a meal; but relaxing at the gym) is rude and self entitled.

EarnestDullard Mon 04-Feb-13 15:43:07

Madness OP. I think it's accpetable for the mum of a newborn to ask a visitor to stick the kettle on, but to demand that they do actual housework is way OTT. Especially as you'd brought them a home-cooked meal.

Then again.. my house has been a tip for the 4 months since DD2 was born. Maybe I missed a trick grin

Sal77 Mon 04-Feb-13 15:37:59

Well, after giving her a wide birth for a week (I'm guessing she'll have had lots of visitors then anyway) I visited again (without dinner this time) and to my surprise she didn't hand me a list or ask me to do anything... I can only assume someone must have said something? I have no idea... House seemed reasonably tidy considering, maybe all her other guests exhausted the jobs on the list and left me with none?

BinkyWinky Wed 23-Jan-13 19:10:23

Any update on this?

AnyoneforTurps Wed 23-Jan-13 18:42:12

No problem, Chunderella, I'll just add "Clear up baby poo" to the list that I hand to visitors.

Chunderella Wed 23-Jan-13 10:11:30

You can have DD, Turps. I warn you though, she's got the shits.

FobblyWoof Tue 22-Jan-13 20:51:39

Wow, what a dickhead!

Some books suggest that o take all the help you can get, but seriously? WTAF?!

(I've only read the OP and I'm pissed off-I can't take ten pages!)

AnyoneforTurps Tue 22-Jan-13 20:47:52

Anyone out there willing to lend me a baby so I can try this out on my friends?

CrapBag Tue 22-Jan-13 20:24:56

Wow!!!

This is when my amazing bluntness comes in handy.

Being handed a list of that sort would have resulted in a "ROFL nice try!" whilst I take the dinner in the kitchen that I had brought around.

Ha!

Chunderella Mon 21-Jan-13 10:31:06

That's ok, fortunately I'm now past the post baby haze and DH does the hoovering anyway. Perhaps you can pop round later and help me get the sick stains out of the jumperoo instead.

Oh. Let's be friends, chunderella.

NB. I will not do your hoovering tho ;)

Oh. Let's be friends, chunderella.

NB. I will not do your hoovering tho ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now