To be horrified at giving a 3 yr old crisps, chocolate biscuits, cheesy bites...

(314 Posts)
starofastorath Fri 18-Jan-13 20:20:48

....at 10 in the morning? After having sugary breakfast cereals?

bedmonster Fri 18-Jan-13 21:31:45

Thank god you didn't see me feeding DS 14m cadburys animal biscuits in his buggy to keep him happy while we sledged in the park!

OP, it's not what I would ordinarily choose first no, but DS does manage to have a little 'treat' every day be it a few cheddar biscuits, some quavers, choc buttons etc. Sugar is good for growing children you know, just in moderation.

Badvoc Fri 18-Jan-13 21:32:17

Blimey I must be being judged 6 ways from Sunday wrt ds2!!
We went to a local cafe for lunch last week and ds1 had jacket potato and beans and ds2?
White bread toast with butter....3 lots!
Ds2 soberly informed the waitress that "we aren't allowed white bread at home"
My son thinks white bread is a treat!!
sad

PickledInAPearTree Fri 18-Jan-13 21:32:35

I think you should

Mind Your Own Business

To be honest.

LuluMai Fri 18-Jan-13 21:33:00

Horrified? Really that strong a reaction? You must live a very sheltered life op.

trixymalixy Fri 18-Jan-13 21:33:26

Is the child underweight? Could it be she is trying to get calories in him whatever it takes. That's what it sounds like to me from you saying that the child was offered 3 things before they would eat.

DS is to have pudding after every meal to try to get more calories into him due to a restricted diet. I'm sure some people would be hmm about that.

Come join me in bad parenting hell everyone!

LuluMai Fri 18-Jan-13 21:36:02

At work today op I heard about a case of a woman who was a prostitute and would have sex with her punters in front of her young son. That is horrifying and bad parenting. Giving a child chocolate is not.

PickledInAPearTree Fri 18-Jan-13 21:36:07

Do you get chocolate biscuits there? If so I'm in.

Just don't send me to the place you get rice cakes.

ClaimedByMe Fri 18-Jan-13 21:36:46

My dc are 7 & 9 they have always eaten sugary chocolate cereal, they are healthy, still alive and have all their teeth, they eat a healthy balanced diet, I want an easy start to my day and crap cereal makes happy dc which makes a happy me!

usualsuspect Fri 18-Jan-13 21:37:49

It's discusting!!!!

PickledInAPearTree Fri 18-Jan-13 21:38:48

Coco pops = devils droppings

<runs around in circles crying>

Goldenbear Fri 18-Jan-13 21:39:23

I wouldn't be horrified but my standards have slipped considerably and with DD- DC2 who is 21 months, I'm finding I'm much slacker about snacks being healthy. For instance, she had some M&S Disco biscuits at 11 this morning. In my defence she was really cold and upset. I want her and my DS (5) to have less biscuits (don't have much chocolate) i feel incredibly shit at my ineptness in this area.

Of course 3 is very different to 21 months and they tend to know the difference between a rice cake with chocolate and chocolate for instance but still perhaps a hit excessive.

fairylightsandtinsel Fri 18-Jan-13 21:39:27

can I have a seat on the "bad parenting" step then? DS is 3.5. Up before 6am usually and can have 2-3 weetabix for brek, but will want a snack by mid-morning. I can offer him apples and oranges, but he won't eat them. Raisins, cheese and biscuits maybe. When we pick them him from CM he sometimes also has a biscuit in the car. Call SS now!!

SorryMyLollipop Fri 18-Jan-13 21:39:28

As the OP has not mentioned her own DC, I suspect she may not have any.

SminkoPinko Fri 18-Jan-13 21:40:04

yabu. cheesy bites and chocolate biscuits are delicious.

Kiriwawa Fri 18-Jan-13 21:42:10

DS is 6YO and under 3 stone. If I coul get him to eat sugary cereal, crisps and chocolate biscuits of a morning, I'd be thrilled

Tee2072 Fri 18-Jan-13 21:42:21

Yes another good point! 6am I am not worrying about nutrition. I'm worrying about a cup of coffee and 10 minutes of peace to drink it.

perceptionreality Fri 18-Jan-13 21:43:31

YABU

Of all the things you could be horrified about, you decide to post a thread about this?

apostropheuse Fri 18-Jan-13 21:46:26

You should write for the tabloid press.

Sensationalist headline followed by non-story.

The child was offered those things, but took only ONE of them.

The chocolate biscuit that was consumed wasn't an illegal drug! hmm

Goldenbear Fri 18-Jan-13 21:50:24

Yes, the other thing is that it could be a feeding up thing. DS is not just a rack of ribs but you can see too many bones he is 2.9 stone and 6 in June. He was on 75 percentile when born and was like that until school. I panicked and am constantly giving him proper desserts. Things like banana and custard, cake and custard, Ice cream, pancakes etc. Maybe she is trying to add more calories the quick way?

TeamEdward Fri 18-Jan-13 21:51:01

I'm going to hell in a handcart by all accounts - DS2 will currently only eat pork pies.
<slaps own wrist>

OpheliasWeepingWillow Fri 18-Jan-13 21:52:25

My dd's nutritionist told me to give her whatever she would eat. Anything. Biscuits, wotsits, cake, goose fat, roast swan.

Judge away. Biscuits ahoy here.

Jeez.

And as for the person who said to me their similar centile dd to mine has healthy food - good for you. Whatever.

BinksToEnlightenment Fri 18-Jan-13 21:52:39

Was the chocolate biscuit thrown down to him after he was pushed into the cellar?

Because that really would be totally unreasonable.

usualsuspect Fri 18-Jan-13 21:52:45

Pork pies <drools>

Apost She could pose for picture for the article looking sad holding a biscuit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now