Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think that this should not be happening in this country, regardless of which religion it is

(89 Posts)
BeanJuice Fri 18-Jan-13 09:17:52
Nancy66 Fri 18-Jan-13 15:04:07

Good idea Latra

YOU - stop putting Coke in your baby's bottle this is MIDDLE CLASS area !

YOU - put a bloody coat on - it's JANUARY and you will catch your death

Latara Fri 18-Jan-13 15:37:04

''YOU - GIVE me your MONEY it's unclean and bad for you!!''

''YOU - give me that bottle of wine & i'll drink it cos it's bad for you!!''

EldritchCleavage Fri 18-Jan-13 15:55:14

Oooh, Mumsnet vigilantes, can I join?

"Navy tights with a black skirt and shoes, ARE YOU MAD?"

"Don't you dare pick your nose on public transport, ugh!"

I could go on.

But actually, serious point: these kids are no more or less representative of their faith community than anyone on here is. You can't judge any group, minority or majority, by the actions of a couple of its members. When an ordinary white British person does something idiotic, they're judged to be an idiotic individual. When a British Muslim does something idiotic, too often the reaction is about idiotic Muslims. It is wrong and v depressing.

peacefuloptimist Fri 18-Jan-13 15:57:21

Hehe Latara. You could call yourself the mums patrol. MP for short. [Grin]

"You - onesies are for children. Dress like an adult for god's sake"

(Going off to think of more)

thesnootyfox Fri 18-Jan-13 16:01:34

"Like the EDL but Muslim."

Exactly.

Moominsarehippos Fri 18-Jan-13 16:02:27

I would personally wedgie all the 'yoot' who think its ok to wear trousers hanging off their arses, doing their pimp roll. Ditto MC white kids yelling on the bus "Oh Hugo! Yah, blood! How ahhr yew, bro? Are you going to Cressida's house party this weekend?".

And many, many other things...

MadamFolly Fri 18-Jan-13 16:38:07

YOU THERE WITH THE SKATEBOARD... careful now, that thing looks unsteady.

Moominsarehippos Fri 18-Jan-13 17:17:33

You! Yes, you Potty Mouth! Don't you know that swearing just indicates a limited volcabulary?

WaynettaSlobsLover Fri 18-Jan-13 17:20:52

Moomin you are funny lmfao!! "Cressidas house party"

Moominsarehippos Fri 18-Jan-13 17:27:08

We get a lot if them in Trendy Notting Hill. They'd piss themselves on the night bus through Brixton.

WaynettaSlobsLover Fri 18-Jan-13 17:31:43

I would rather shoot myself in the foot than go on the Brixton night bus. I'm Blackheath and even now I'm still scared when out late blush

Moominsarehippos Fri 18-Jan-13 18:00:17

SIL used to live there (got a lot of racism and mugged a lot) and wouldn't go back if you paid her!

andtheycalleditbunnylove Fri 18-Jan-13 18:42:21

the only part i'm unhappy with is the 'this is a Muslim area' comment, and that i'm only bothered about if they mean it as 'we're Muslim and most of us are asian, you're white, so don't come round here, we own this place, we have the power here and you aren't allowed in this area'. if they mean 'we are respectable people with religious commitments. we don't want to see your naked, drunken behaviour. go away,' i'm right with them.

Nancy66 Fri 18-Jan-13 19:21:06

the people they were confronting weren't behaving badly though - one poor couple were just walking home!

BeanJuice Fri 18-Jan-13 19:27:40

andtheycalleditbunnylove - yes, walking home and minding your own business is really so awful. it's none of their bloody business!

alemci Fri 18-Jan-13 21:19:20

The irony is that the vigalantees behaviour is far from exemplary. Bullying and harrassing others is a great way to be a good witness for your religion not. I think one lady stood up to them and they didn't like it.

ComposHat Fri 18-Jan-13 21:45:11

From the Daily Heil article I expected to see 100 strong gangs in balaclavas weilding baseball bats, but all it looked like was a handful of teenage bellsniffs in hoodies. It is hardly 9/11 redux, more like Carry On Jihad, trying to destroy decadent western society by snatching beer cans from drunks on a Saturday night. The voice over at the end is piss funny too, if I hadn't known better I'd have thought it was an unseen extra from Brass Eye or the film Four Lions.

I speculate that before too long they'll get smacked in the chops when they try taking a can of booze off the wrong drunk and they'll slink away.

BeanJuice Fri 18-Jan-13 22:45:25

alemci I bet they especially didn't like the fact that a woman was standing up to them!

GothAnneGeddes Fri 18-Jan-13 23:04:42

YANBU, they are arses and yes, I'm Muslim.

Someone needs to have a firm word with them about ways to make a positive contribution to society.

But yes, I do wonder how these people have a hotline to the Daily Mail.

I remember on one Muslim discussion board some said "That Anjem Choudary (main Al Majirouhn tossarse) needs a good kicking, unfortunately his antics will lead to some uncle or auntie getting a kicking instead.

These people love publicity and the media would do everyone a favour by not people so quick to trumpet their attention-seeking behaviour.

Moominsarehippos Sat 19-Jan-13 07:36:00

I'd pay good money to see a film of their mums giving them a clip around the ear.

BunFagFreddie Sat 19-Jan-13 07:54:21

Its absolutely disgusting. But its not a muslim issue. All religions have extremists who feel it is their job to tell the rest of us how to live.

Yes, like Mit Romney.

peacefuloptimist Sat 19-Jan-13 08:11:56

'Someone needs to have a firm word with them about ways to make a positive contribution to society'.

Why would they want to make a positive contribution when negative acts and anti-social behaviour is what gets muslim people attention?

In my local area a group of about 10 muslim men, all educated, all professionals, tax-payers, family men etc are going out to clear the snow from roads around the mosque, from the driveways of care homes and their elderly neighbours homes out of their own accord. They are not being paid for their work. The council is giving them shovels and high-visibility jackets that is about it and quite frankly they are not doing it to get the recognition from the council or for any financial benefits since all of them are hard-working citizens. Yet I bet you these men like the majority of UK muslims who are law-abiding, who are integrated and who like them give their free time to contribute to society will be totally ignored. A National Muslim charity recently recruited volunteers to pack food which had been donated by local Muslim food outlets in to parcels for homeless people in London. They had so many volunteers that they had to turn people away. However that was never publicised in the news.

Instead TWO idiots with a camera phone who are having a laugh will be held up as some sort of example or standard of what 'British muslims' are like. It is an absolute disgrace and in fact very disheartening to a person who has grown up here that there is such a determined effort to demonise muslims in the media so that every crack-pot, layabout and time waster is dregged up as an example of what Islam produces and not the kindness, charity and tolerance that Islam acutally promotes and that the majority of muslims try to embody. What is sadder then that is that there are many people including some on this thread who fall for it hook line and sinker and are unwilling to look beyond the headlines of the national news.

Sorry for the rant but got an email this morning asking for more volunteers to clear out the roads in our area and I just felt that it is so unfair that these kind of people are ignored.

alemci Sat 19-Jan-13 11:48:27

Good point Peace about the guys clearing the snow and helping with charity.

However, what worries me is the way that the out of order factions seem to get away with it. Where were the police? Just really don't like this no area thing because won't most people not go there anymore if this sort of behaviour becomes more common place and then it does become a no go area.

I read a comment on another forum that these vigilante also harrass moderate Muslims and tell them what to do. They are quite intimidating and again the police don't help.

In Bradford aren't there areas where the police will not go

andtheycalleditbunnylove Sat 19-Jan-13 16:52:17

i used to work in blackburn and there were areas where the police wouldn't go and buses wouldn't run - 'white' areas.
the 'you can't walk in our area' aspect is unacceptable no matter which group is doing it. you get it in some jewish areas round manchester - just walk up the road going from a to b and curtains twitch, men appear on their drives...and i've been told myself 'you don't walk here' by asian youths in other areas of manchester, and suffered all kinds of abuse from white and mixed teenagers in the area where i live.
[lovebunny, there's a pattern appearing - nobody likes you - this is mumsnet, they don't like you here, either. ah well]

but we do need a moral revival in this country and if some Muslims are willing to stand up and be counted, some Christians should be right with them, and members of other religions or none.

Moominsarehippos Sat 19-Jan-13 17:04:17

The Anti-Tosser Brigade?
Where do I sign up?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now