to think that this should not be happening in this country, regardless of which religion it is

(89 Posts)
BeanJuice Fri 18-Jan-13 09:17:52
ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Fri 18-Jan-13 09:20:24

YANBU.

delboysfileofax Fri 18-Jan-13 09:21:16

Its going to be an issue because penny-to a pound of shit, the EDL types will see this as a challenge and arrive there en masse at the weekend.

But also it shouldnt be happening- what other people do is none of their (the muslims) business

discorabbit Fri 18-Jan-13 09:23:11

seems to be to be an invitation for violence. just pisses me off that extremists have the time to get so worked up. they need to grow up and try being reasonable human beings

WaynettaSlobsLover Fri 18-Jan-13 09:25:39

If they don't like it, they can piss off back to the countries they come from and good riddance. I am Muslim for that matter.

FreudiansSlipper Fri 18-Jan-13 09:26:13

Of course it is wrong using religion to try to control people is always wrong

but of course right wing groups are going to jump on this and will use it to justify their beliefs

WaynettaSlobsLover Fri 18-Jan-13 09:29:24

Never met these types in my years of being Muslim but I would enjoy having choice words with them. I would also be asking whether they have jobs, claim uk benefits, about the state of their own countries.... It's people such as this that make my life difficult personally, because unfortunately this is how society starts to view us. Thankfully mumsnet is cultured and educated generally so it's taken with a pinching salt on here, but the reality of what the public thinks I dread to wonder. sad

ReallyTired Fri 18-Jan-13 09:32:03

If this is for real then I have every confidence that the police will deal with it. These people are not representive of British Muslims. Unfortunately muslims do have their fair share of idiots like every other section of society.

"If they don't like it, they can piss off back to the countries they come from and good riddance"

What do we do with them if they the are british born?

GrimmaTheNome Fri 18-Jan-13 09:35:48

Waynetta - I'm sure most Muslims take the view below - at least even the DM included this:

'Mohammed Shafiq, the chief executive of the Ramadhan Foundation, a Muslim organisation which campaigns for a peaceful co-existence among communities, has condemned the group's behaviour.

He said: 'We live in the UK and we are governed by UK law, there should be no mob rule. If people are involved in this behaviour then it is worrying '

WaynettaSlobsLover Fri 18-Jan-13 10:00:12

True grimma, but it still bothers me a lot. There's a lot of impressionable young guys getting really strong views from local religious centres. I know of two men that have been banned from the local mosques because of hardline views.

Sallyingforth Fri 18-Jan-13 10:08:04

If you look at the video, it's just a couple of yobs mucking about in the street to cause trouble. The Mail has swallowed the bait of course.
But there is a more serious general problem as evidenced by the Muslim march in Luton.

NothingIsAsBadAsItSeems Fri 18-Jan-13 10:12:51

Religious extremists do no end of damage to their religions image. Do I have more respect/interest in their religion as a result? No, in reality I think less of that religion and the people who allow these idiots to damage their religion and its image.

NothingIsAsBadAsItSeems Fri 18-Jan-13 10:14:16

* That's not the same group who shoved a load of homophobic bullshit in peoples letter boxes is it? confused

Twattybollocks Fri 18-Jan-13 10:18:54

Has no one ever been accosted by a God botherer in the street and been harangued about judgement day/the state of their soul? I know I have, and people standing on street corners preaching etc etc. not saying its right, but it's certainly not restricted to Islam!
I am a practising christian for the record, but I don't think making personal comments in this way ever converted anyone!

wherestheblinkingsnow Fri 18-Jan-13 10:19:45

Ah this is where this came from. A relative kindly "shared" this on his FB page and it came on my Newsfeed. As someone said, just a pair of thick, aggressive numpties who stuck a homevideo on YouTube. Why someone just didn't call the police I don't know (maybe they did but that didn't make the video?)

Yes, outrageous behaviour. Surely the police can trace the video-makers and do them for incitement? The comments afterwards are sick and it grieves me that this will incite a lot of trouble in that area as the EDL types jump on board for a ruck.

The fact that my relative chose to "share" this with me made me feel very uncomfortable. What can be the motivation I wonder??

I detest the idea of no-go areas in any city for whatever reason. Hopefully the police can work with people like the Ramadhan Foundation and work something out. There must be Muslim police officers - I wonder what the figures are?

NothingIsAsBadAsItSeems Fri 18-Jan-13 10:23:19

Yep been accosted by god botherers etc That does not mean I should have to put up with it. Do not force your views on to others and for the love of 'god' grab my arm as I walk away from you and your insane rant again and I will not be held responsible angry

Yes, I will burn in hell, if I did in fact believe in hell hmm but so will you, so see you there smile

Crinkle77 Fri 18-Jan-13 10:26:13

I would just laugh at them. Although is drinking on the streets not illegal anyway?

sad whatever beliefs a person has are their own. They may act according to their own set of beliefs and values. People need to accept that others think and feel in a different way to them and that's their right and whether they agree or disagree it is not right whatever religion you are to forcibly inflict it on others!

No one has the right to hound people!!

A few idiots like this give all those Christians Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs etc a bad name, when the majority just want to live in peace alongside everyone else.

crescentmoon Fri 18-Jan-13 10:33:18

"As someone said, just a pair of thick, aggressive numpties who stuck a homevideo on YouTube."

and yet this made it onto a major british daily. half the problem is these random extremists get media exposure but peaceful moderates get no exposure even if they are in the majority. i bet these 2 idiots are Al Muhajiroun - they get attention for every little thing they do i swear they have a symbiotic relationship with the media. guardian/ daily mail gets lots of clicks and advertising from drawing in readers who are outraged and the muhajiroun get the ego boost that they are 'big men'.
peaceful moderates even if they issue press releases and make statements its hard for it to get out into the mainstream because it doesnt suit the narrative thats told about Islam. so these stories frustrate me for those reasons. men in beards gave out 3500 roses in marble arch london in october and that was also posted on youtube. along with loads of other similar projects across the UK and western europe, even canada. but iv searched and searched online for any news stories and not a single article or mention anywhere.

Birmingham rose protest

the above video is just the birmingham muslim community's rose protest. at least those 1000 people will go home and say 'you know what these muslims are not all bad' even if no minor or major media outlet covered any of them.

BeanJuice Fri 18-Jan-13 10:54:58

TwattyBollocks that's why I made it explicit in my thread title that this is wrong regardless of which religion it is.

It's almost akin to religious police.

Its absolutely disgusting. But its not a muslim issue. All religions have extremists who feel it is their job to tell the rest of us how to live.

If they dont like it then perhaps they should go to the muslim countries where these views are law. Even the British born. People from those countries come here, why shouldnt they migrate there?

If they arent British born then they really should fuck off back home. Its ridiculous to move to another country and then criticise the laws of that country.

KoalaTale Fri 18-Jan-13 11:10:53

Yanbu. However I do think the state of the streets on a Saturday night is pretty appalling.

Veritate Fri 18-Jan-13 11:14:28

"If they don't like it, they can piss off back to the countries they come from and good riddance"

For all you know, this is the country they come from. Unfortunately we've got plenty of home-grown idiots - why assume they're immigrants?

elizaregina Fri 18-Jan-13 11:18:23

I feel really sorry for normal muslims who just want to keep themselves to themselves and do thier thing and not have this constant big spotlight shon on them ALL THE TIME - its always Muslims in the news - thats all we predominalty here about.

Seeks, Hindus, scientologists - catholics here and there more so - COfe occasionally- but in the uk and worldwide its always muslim extremists....

It must drive the everyday people MAD.

elizaregina Fri 18-Jan-13 11:20:27

Brave girl on video for standing up to them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now