to feel old at school when the class is doing the 70s as history

(68 Posts)
kim147 Fri 18-Jan-13 00:07:29

And the TA I was working with had a significant birthday coming up - 21.

I told her I was double her age. And the class were doing the 70s for history. I was their living witness to history.

Yes - we had 3 channels. No - no CBBC, No CITV.

I feel old.

HoneyDragon Sat 19-Jan-13 01:27:00

I did the 1970's as history when I was at school. In 1985 hmm.

Pendeen Sat 19-Jan-13 01:23:26

”I felt old the other day when DH told me 'different to' has now become as acceptable as 'different from'. I know language use changes ... I just didn't expect it to make my pedantry obsolete so fast.”

No it hasn’t! grin

kim147 Fri 18-Jan-13 15:52:31

I saw "pong" (or is it ping) in a museum recently - the media musem in Bradford. DS and I played it. I can't believe I thought it was great once.

jamdonut Fri 18-Jan-13 15:48:31

I remember using olive oil as sun-tan lotion when I was about 13!! (that would be 1976).
God you just wouldn't now,would you!

One of the kids at school actually asked why everything was in black and white in "The olden days",when we were talking about differences between now and when the class teacher and I were young!

I was the proud owner of a tv video game when I was about 15...Tennis...two white bars and square ball that you knocked back and forth!! I thought I was the coolest kid EVER for having that.

Loquace, thought it was white lead they put on their faces? Just as poisonous though, white lead used to give their faces that poxy look, so they slapped on more to hide the scars grin

1976 - the year poor mum got hepatitis which peaked while we were away on holiday and she collapsed outside the chalet while the rest of us were at the beach a little distance away, it was a couple of hours before she got found, along with a sunburn which didn't help.

I remember "dressing up" as a child in the 1970s using some of mum's 1960s clothing and thinking it was old then. Mum must have felt old herself when I said that grin

atthewelles Fri 18-Jan-13 14:20:22

Ooh, I could also offer him:

A quilted nylon bedspread;
A Showaddywaddy LP;
A Teasmade;
A tape recorder with microphone attached;
Some Starsky and Hutch posters; and
A Bunty Annual 1976

<emerges dusty from enthusiastic scrabble around Mum's attic>

Loquace Fri 18-Jan-13 14:12:30

Would your DH be interested in that?

More than likely.

But he doesn't speak English.

So it all has to go through me as translator.

<ponders house filled to brim with mumsnets' cast off 70s shit>

<superglues lips shut as act of self defence>

MuddlingMackem Fri 18-Jan-13 14:10:57

YANBU.

But I suppose I can now understand how my parents felt when I was doing my O Levels (1982-84 incidentally). The syllabus for Modern World History included the Cuban Missile Crisis. Now I can sympathise with their horrified, 'But that can't be history, we remember that!' rather than laughing. grin

atthewelles Fri 18-Jan-13 14:05:07

Starting to feel nostalgic now for the days when tinned salmon was a luxury item, Friday night was 'bath night' and everyone was cycling around on Raleigh Choppers.

Psammead Fri 18-Jan-13 13:55:49

The 1970s are history? I'm an 80s child, they'll be coming for us next <shifty eyes>

atthewelles Fri 18-Jan-13 13:47:17

I'm sure there's a framed copy of Deisderata up in my mother's attic. Would your DH be interested in that? I could rummage for the Telly Savalas record as well. smile

Dawndonna Fri 18-Jan-13 13:45:55

Damnit Janet! I'm a veritable dinosaur. I was 12 in 1970!

Loquace Fri 18-Jan-13 13:40:56

I still think of 1970s style houses as 'modern houses'

DH is an antiques dealer. And recently got excited when I mentioned my old space hopper in a box up my sister's loft.

To be fair he calls it "modernariato" not actually antiques.

I will not be showing him this thread for fear of being forced to admire swirly patterned paltes that make a horrible sound when your fork touches it and Kitch-grotesque vases forever more.

He can't just buy old, ugly dusty shit that takes up half a room and offers the storage space of a very small teacup, oh no, he has to have an audience for each and every purchase, and needs them to makecooing noises. And then has the cheek to get pissed off when my coos are less like those made by a randy pigeon and more reminicent of a "cat exits fur ball" sound of ...admiration.

atthewelles Fri 18-Jan-13 13:28:21

I still think of 1970s style houses as 'modern houses'. blush

Will vintage design now start including brown swirly carpets, lino and ashtrays you can strap onto the arms of chairs?

upsylazy Fri 18-Jan-13 13:27:36

I've worked in quite a few care homes in my time and they were all very into "reminiscence" groups which mostly involved listening to music from the 1930s/40s and talking about the old days.
It made me wonder what will happen to my generation when we reach that age - mental image of old ladies with blue rinses singing along to the Human League and Duran Duran.

We got a bit into the 90s (Gorby/Yeltsin) last year for A level grin

halcyondays Fri 18-Jan-13 13:16:12

Yanbu, I was born in the 70s, it can't possibly be history!

5Foot5 Fri 18-Jan-13 13:06:18

DD took her GCSE History last year and some of the topics she studied were current affairs when I was her age.

Loquace Fri 18-Jan-13 12:08:28

<twirls in homemade crinoline>

<face shoved in bag of flour due to pharmacist being all picky about who she sells arsenic too>

<feels better>

I feel old when collecting ds3 from school and the mums talk about worrying about junior schools and they say you getting worried when dd goes to high in couple years

I say no more worried about 6th form and UNi ANC they look at me like gone mad . Had to explain I have a 16 and almost 19 year old . ANC yup it's when my 16 year old was doing about the Berlin wall coming down and teacher said ask your grandparents he was like no sir . I can ask my mum oh did I feel old .

On Brighg side his write up was good and I have a piece of Berlin wall and pictures of wall when I was younger and it stood and pictures after it came down

I feel old when collecting ds3 from school and the mums talk about worrying about junior schools and they say you getting worried when dd goes to high in couple years

I say no more worried about 6th form and UNi ANC they look at me like gone mad . Had to explain I have a 16 and almost 19 year old . ANC yup it's when my 16 year old was doing about the Berlin wall coming down and teacher said ask your grandparents he was like no sir . I can ask my mum oh did I feel old .

On Brighg side his write up was good and I have a piece of Berlin wall and pictures of wall when I was younger and it stood and pictures after it came down

Eastpoint Fri 18-Jan-13 05:24:08

We did the SALT II talks for O level in the 80s, my parents were appalled.

My DD did sweets from the 70s last year in year 6, I hadn't realised it was history tbh I'm not sure what subject I thought she was studying.

MammaTJ Fri 18-Jan-13 04:50:38

I always used to think about the changes the old people I looked after had been through in their lifetimes but those of us who remember the summer of 76 have been through a few too.

We didn't have a home phone, and were not unusual.

Our TV was black and white and you had to get up and twiddle the knob to change chanels.

We didn't wear uniform to school until age 11. All school seem to have them now.

Of course mobile phones, computers and the internet are very recent additions to our lives.

DS did post-Berlin wall coming down as European History last year. Bawk!

I was in college then!

weegiemum Fri 18-Jan-13 02:42:23

Heck I was born in 1970 and now it's history? I thought it only became history after 50 years? I'm 42!

Though I do regularly deal with "ohhhh muuuuuuuum! You're so oooooold! (dd1 will be a teenager in 3 weeks so I'm officially an embarrassment!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now