AIBU to think that people should only be allowed a 4x4 if they actually need one?

(288 Posts)
boomting Sat 12-Jan-13 21:08:02

They are ridiculously fuel inefficient, and given the finite supplies of oil and the effects on climate change (and no this isn't a climate change thread!), I think that the government should only allow you to own a 4x4 if you have a demonstrable reason for needing one. You would have to submit a form and be issued with a special licence to own one. Reasons could include being a farmer, or having to tow heavy trailers that cannot legally be towed with a smaller vehicle. This isn't an exhaustive list of acceptable reasons, but people who only use them for the school run and going to the supermarket shop should not be allowed to use them.

AIBU?

WMittens Mon 21-Jan-13 22:22:56

Ignore that last post

Hobbitation Mon 21-Jan-13 22:26:02

I think a lot of people on here who think they have a 4x4 in fact just have an SUV or a car that kind of shape, which may or may not be necessarily four wheel drive.

LibraryMum8 Mon 21-Jan-13 22:27:31

YABVU!

Everlong - you turned up!

Hobbitation, and vice versa.

Hobbitation Mon 21-Jan-13 23:45:29

Yes exactly. Ooh, it's an SUV, must be a gas guzzler. My 7 year old estate car only does 32 mpg around town, I bet there are numerous more fuel efficient SUVs/4x4s these days.

pugsandseals Mon 21-Jan-13 23:49:00

UABU - What next? Everyone must drive a Nissan Micra? As it happens my car is not 4x4 but does come in a 4x4 version that gets around 40-45mpg (not bad). I live in the middle of nowhere, we have 2 buses a day to our village & the council rarely fill in the humungus pot holes left by the lorries which the council allow to use our road as a rat run. Would that qualify in your world? Probably not because I do actually drive it in town too & you would look at me & judge! There are many reasons for using bigger more off-roady cars. It might just be that the driver gets a bad back & prefers the upright driving position! Nobody's car choice should be subject to regulation until we all have a perfect transport system that supports the needs of all (like that's going to happen!)

Skyebluesapphire Mon 21-Jan-13 23:53:37

I know people who are thinking about getting a twin cab truck, the sort of thing driven by farmers and contractors etc..... neither of them have a job that warrants a 4x4 , they have 2 young kids, and live in a small town. They also have no money...

So no, YANBU - some people certainly dont need them.

The Mazda CX5 I think it is called does that on the American cycle which translates to hmm...almost 35mpg in the UK.

lurkerspeaks Tue 22-Jan-13 00:35:11

I'm pissing myself laughing at the confusion over 4WD.

I live in town and drive an eco-geared normal car. It is pish in snow and I'm v. Grateful my rural hobby obsessed brother lends me his "proper" 4x4 (an ancient defender) to get to work on snowyh days. I return the favour by letting him use my car if he has to go out to see clients (his rusty muddy car is at odds with his professional persona).

What amuses me is watching my neighbours spectacularly fail to conquer the snow even in their 4wd. Some of them have v. Shiny rangies but seem blissfully unaware of how to actually drive them. Frustrates my poor bro who would live a new Range Rover and would take it off road. Nothing makes me happier than a muddy off roader.

My urban cobbled hilly road is so bad that I might consider a 4wd car (do not a proper off roader) and would discount anything rear wheel drive.

The best car for the snow IME -my sisters matiz. It is a crap car but handles snow with aplomb.

differentnameforthis Tue 22-Jan-13 01:58:01

Hahahaha "allowed" really! Cars should be means tested now? My car is a 4x4 when you want it to be & it is more fuel efficient that than the car I traded in.

Morloth Tue 22-Jan-13 07:19:28

It is odd on MN at the moment.

It would appear that vast numbers of people loathe the current Government, but at the same time want to give them much more control over people's day to day lives.

Someone must be able to explain it to me.

coraltoes Tue 22-Jan-13 10:50:14

Hahaha the day my car choice is dictated by some hand wringing loon on mnet is the day Kerry Katona becomes queen. My car, my expense, my choice.

Next idiotic suggestion pls?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now