Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Baby clinic, weighing, health visitors

(81 Posts)
Chislemum Tue 08-Jan-13 16:02:40

I was wondering whether it is wrong - or unreasonable - to stop going to baby clinics and instead weigh my baby at home?

Our baby clinic is really filthy, overheated, etc. Also, the health visitors don't really help at all, just give me incorrect and conflicting information (depending on who you talk to) and worry me needlessly.

Is it normal that all they do at the baby clinic is to weigh babies?

My DS is 5 months and I intend to have all his vaccinations done etc. I just don't like the baby clinic. What would happen (if anything), if I weighed my baby myself and refuse all further contact with HVs but instead take baby to GP if there is a real issue and/or to a privately paid pediatrician?

I have searched the threads on this forum and found lots of info (incl. a thread implying HVs were spies???) - does anyone have a link to something official were it says I don't have to go there and won't lose any entitlement of NHS treatment.... (sorry for my angry tone... was just annoying there today).

mummysmellsofsick Tue 08-Jan-13 17:22:33

I've never been. DS last officially weighed at about 6 weeks. I've weighed him myself since then

MummytoMog Tue 08-Jan-13 17:26:09

Never went, hated them, seemed to make all my friends really unhappy and miserable. Nobody rang me up to shout at me. I don't even know what my DC's weigh.

Svrider Tue 08-Jan-13 17:27:20

I was on dc3 before I even knew I could go to baby clinic wink

IneedAsockamnesty Tue 08-Jan-13 17:28:08

I'm having quite the oppersit problem, I'm trying to get my youngest dc an 8 month check up ( now almost. 10 months) but can't. Here they are all done at surestart in groups but you are not allowed to take siblings with you. All the centres have the group at the same time on the same day.

Another dc starts school much later on that day than most kids and due to his disability most people freak out about looking after him so won't but I can't take him with me because they won't let me.

I don't have any concerns but if I did I wouldn't discus them in a group setting

FutTheShuckUp Tue 08-Jan-13 17:35:42

Is it normal that all they do at the baby clinic is to weigh babies?

It may look like thats all they do but I can assure you it isn't. They also observe parent/child interaction, pick up on any potential issues and can address these as needed. It may look black and white, but it isnt.
I must also say- I work as a staff nurse with the health visiting team, we have people at clinic who bring their 2 year olds to be weighed every month or less! Its silly, it puts strain on resources and often just adds unecessary anxiety to parenting (if say the child doesnt gain any weight since the last visit).

SamSmalaidh Tue 08-Jan-13 17:36:53

If you don't have any concerns, why do you want to go to the group check up? I didn't even know there was an 8 month check.

Cantbelieveitsnotbutter Tue 08-Jan-13 17:37:20

Ive never been to one, my ds is nearly 4

FutTheShuckUp Tue 08-Jan-13 17:37:35

We say our checks are 9-12 month, and even then if you dont have any concerns about your childs development there is no rush

I went 3/4 times with DS1
Once with DD, as had to for 6 week check
Never with DS2, although dh took him for his first jab there and the HVs were sniffy that it was dad and not mom... hmm

I was a SAHM with first two, student mom with third, so plenty of time but no inclination smile

naughtycloud1 Tue 08-Jan-13 17:38:41

i weighed mine once and that was all im sure she caught a boil after that there changing mats were awful

Chislemum Tue 08-Jan-13 17:42:25

weirdest thing was that you had to wait for ages (fine, not their fault if it is busy) and it was super hot.... however, you have to strip your baby naked for the weighing and by the time it was our turn, little one was sweaty and the one window they had open was the one directly next to the scales, so the naked sweaty baby was in a draught. hmm

very reassuring reading all your responses.

LaCiccolina Tue 08-Jan-13 17:45:21

I hate hvs. Had such ridiculous advice, they were more dangerous than helpful. I also hate weighing for same reasons. Won't be going again. GP far far better, as is this site.

MrsHoarder Tue 08-Jan-13 17:49:24

Fut, why not tell these parents that weighing in monthly isn't necessary at two then? Might even free some time for visiting rather than making mothers discuss concerns in a public room.

IneedAsockamnesty Tue 08-Jan-13 17:49:33

Because at our 8 month check you get a book bag and he hasn't been weighed since he was about 6 weeks old, as well as 5 of my kids having ASD so its kinda handy if development checks get done just in case youngest dc ever requires an assessment its handy to have documented when he was doing what ect just in case.

Cortana Tue 08-Jan-13 17:51:49

"I guess the ones who say they never went were the working mums who only took 2 weeks of maternity leave babies are such an inconvenience "

Erm, no Lovely hmm, I had a child who had no extra needs, was clearly thriving and I didn't need to be told he was doing well. Not a matter of convenience, just common sense and confidence in my case. I had a great support network, very lucky in that sense I know.

And for the record, I know some Mother's who took "only two weeks", but the Father was happy at home being a full time parent. Not everyone is the same and not everyone has the same needs, hence HV and weighing being something you can take up, if you have the need.

Enfyshedd Tue 08-Jan-13 18:10:31

DD is 7 1/2 mo & I took her fortnightly until about 2 months ago - part of my reason for this was because the PND assessment they got me to fill in at the 8 wk check caught me at a bad time due to ExP (not DD's DF) being a dick & my HV phoned me within an hour of leaving the clinic (so not making it obvious at all that they were panicing about me hmm). I thought I'd better go regularly to assure them that I was coping fine & I didn't have PND.

I'm going back to work later this month, so I plan to take her to clinic once this month (although I have bumped into the HV twice this month in the waiting room at the docs because I've been ill) & for her 9mo check at the end of next month. After that, it'll only be for her next jabs & if there's a concern. Can't wait to be honest...

WelshMaenad Tue 08-Jan-13 18:11:24

Lovelyladuree, such a misnomer I was a non working mum to a prem baby who didn't bother with baby clinic. I was far too busy going out and having fun with my inconvenient baby to fuck around in a hot waiting room full of wailing OPKs. Avoiding judgemental people like you was clearly just a bonus.

FutTheShuckUp Tue 08-Jan-13 18:14:19

MrsHoarder- oh I do, in my oh so subtle way grin

MakeItALarge Tue 08-Jan-13 18:16:44

lovelylardulee just to second what others have said I didnt take him because there was no need, not becuase my son is an inconveniece.

Dont be so bloody judgemental.

Panzee Tue 08-Jan-13 18:21:54

I did some weighing when I wanted a new car seat but apart from that didn't weigh him at all. When HV came for 2 year check (at 2yr 9 mo!) he refused to be weighed so we didn't bother. So I've not weighed my son since he was 10 months old. I could see that he was gaining weight ok.

Loveweekends10 Tue 08-Jan-13 18:34:51

I spent a day with a health visiting team this year. I'm a nurse.
I attended a baby clinic.
The amount of people we had coming with their babies who attended every single week was ridiculous. The health visitors thought it was ridiculous.
Why take your baby to be weighed every bloody week.
We had one woman turn up to get her baby weighed whose child clearly had chicken pox!

I only took my baby to one clinic. I didn't need to go after that. Please use common sense!

Chislemum Tue 08-Jan-13 18:41:26

Loveweekends10 it says in the red book that babies under 6 months should be weighed one a month.... it also mentions something about "HV" might want to "monitor" more often, etc. Obviously one should not bring the baby in when it is ill but it is unclear that it is completely up to the parent whether you go or don't. I was under the impression that I had to go. And I am clearly not alone in getting it wrong.

I agree re common sense. smile

AnyaKnowIt Tue 08-Jan-13 18:46:42

I guess the ones who say they never went were the working mums who only took 2 weeks of maternity leave babies are such an inconvenience

I'm a sahm and have only taken dd once. Unless you have got any concerns then there is no need.

FutTheShuckUp Tue 08-Jan-13 18:51:49

I think it says no more than once a month.
But a good HV should explain all this when they do the primary visit. They should also explain (but many dont) that child health surveillance from health visitors is optional (unless there are child protection issues)

Fakebook Tue 08-Jan-13 18:55:48

I like going to mine to see how much DS weighs. During the first months I found it better to have him weighed and then decide whether to move up a nappy size or not. Our hv's are nice though, and helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now