weddings and oaps

(332 Posts)
Hullygully Mon 07-Jan-13 13:28:58

I have been invited to a wedding where the bride has developed what must really be called a phobia about old people. (Long story)

She refuses to have any one over 70 in case there is a "medical emergency" which would spoil her day and in order to avoid an outcry she proposes to organise a coach trip for the old people to see The Lion King as a treat on the same day with a special tea at a Holiday Inn afterwards and a video link to her ceremony.

Her mother is 72 and is allowed to go because she recently passed a stringent medical, but no one else of a similar age is allowed. My mother is 73 and looked after her a lot when she was little and really wants to go. Also, she has seen The Lion King already. I think she should be allowed to go to the wedding as a fit and healthy sort of "extra" mother. AIBU?

AreYouADurtBirdOrALadyBird Mon 07-Jan-13 15:04:39

What happens if one of her guests is pregnant?

TheVermiciousKnid Mon 07-Jan-13 15:05:40

Hully, are you on a mission to finish off the Christmas sherry? grin

Badvoc Mon 07-Jan-13 15:05:52

Erm.....

JessieMcJessie Mon 07-Jan-13 15:06:07

You're making this up!

Hullygully Mon 07-Jan-13 15:06:25

She is following the airline guidelines re pregnancy, no one over five months (I think) allowed.

FriendlyLadybird Mon 07-Jan-13 15:07:15

No! I just don't believe the poodle story. You were marginally on the right side of convincing before ... but no longer. Very funny though.

Hullygully Mon 07-Jan-13 15:08:25

I told you no one would believe it.

Fact is stranger than fiction.

I have to go out now, but i might speak to her again about it all.

5madthings Mon 07-Jan-13 15:08:26

If this is true she is mad and I would just boycott the wedding.

Airlines let you fly past five maths and you can fly quite late in preg as long as you have a note from a Dr/midwife.

Narked Mon 07-Jan-13 15:09:00

'has also bought a defibullator thing in case there is heavy traffic.'

grin

Well done on creating an original wedding thread. Child-free weddings are so passe.

firesidechat Mon 07-Jan-13 15:11:06

Daughter recently got married, so I've come across some eyebrow raising bridezilla stories over the last couple of years (Not my daughter. She was lovely) but now I've heard it all.

On our last trip abroad the plane had to be diverted due to a medical emergency. Stupidly assumed that it would be an older person having a heart attack until a woman in her twenties walked off the plane. She had had an epileptic fit. Medical emergencies happen at any age.

bowerbird Mon 07-Jan-13 15:11:14

Not only is this totally batshit crazy, as an eloquent MN poster stated, it's mean, stupid and terribly ageist.

If you attend the wedding, you are saying that this is behaviour is acceptable. Have you considered declining the invitation?

maddening Mon 07-Jan-13 15:12:12

If she is a close friend could you point out gently that her idea is fucking shit.

Particularly foe the people coming from abroad - she could video link to the boring bit ceremony so they can thank the lord that they didn't go all that way forthe frigging lion king.

Someone needs to tell her she is being frightfully rude and in danger of really insulting some very important people in her life (and I assume the grooms family too) - if she goes ahead with that plan she is crazy (and cutting herself from a few inheritances wink)

LadyBeagleEyes Mon 07-Jan-13 15:12:30

Are you on drugs Hully?
And if so, can I have some?

MadamFolly Mon 07-Jan-13 15:12:30

Hully, this is utterly mad, it cannot be true. Can it?

Narked Mon 07-Jan-13 15:14:11

'her stepmother, who had a weight problem, and slight drink one if truth be known although they kept it quiet, tripped over the flower basket and fell heavily on the bride's sweet poodle who she had in lieu of bridesmaids as she was too young for anyone else to have had kids.'

That is beautiful. I'm imagining it in soft focus, like a memory sequence in an afternoon movie. It ends with her screaming, 'Binky, NOOOOO!!!!!' <echo as image fades out>

Having seen some of HullyGully's previous posts on various threads, I'm not sure I can quite bring myself to believe this. grin

If this is true, the personally I'd have to decline the invite and explain why.

Otherwise, I'm wondering what the point being made is here.

Badvoc Mon 07-Jan-13 15:15:03

Hully, if this is not a wind up this person needs counselling/help!
It is not normal!
Even with her past sad experience, the vast majority of people would realise that her step mothers weight and other health issues were the problem, not her age?
She needs to prepare herself for a lot of wedding regret cards I think....no way I would go.

jumpingjackhash Mon 07-Jan-13 15:15:37

This is a piss take, surely?

I cannot believe that anyone would actually think this is an appropriate way to deal with potential wedding guests, let alone actually do it. If it IS true, someone needs to talk sense into this bridezilla.

CinnabarRed Mon 07-Jan-13 15:18:17

Don't believe a word of it!

grin

grimbletart Mon 07-Jan-13 15:18:40

A good wedding gift for this person would be to pay for a course of intense psychiatric treatment to sort out her head.

jumpingjackhash Mon 07-Jan-13 15:21:12

Or get her a copy of the Lion King on DVD, grimble?

MissPB Mon 07-Jan-13 15:22:38

Well I for one am almost crying with laughter at the OP and am feeling hysteria rising. Must control myself - this is priceless! grin

Guessing this is a comment on children at weddings?
If not, its quite possibly the strangest thing I've ever read

QuickLookBusy Mon 07-Jan-13 15:27:03

Lion king?

Im sure they would much prefer something a little more racy.
How's about Dirty Dancing? I'm sure they won't mind missing the wedding then.

threesocksmorgan Mon 07-Jan-13 15:28:15

the bride is crazy, and doesn't sound very nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now