Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Asking if someone's pregnant when they're not

(78 Posts)
rebeccacraig0001 Mon 07-Jan-13 09:47:27

Not sure if this is the right place for this thread?? My question is : how sure must you be before you ask if someone is pregnant? Do you think some people ask as a kind of sideways bitchy remark that basically is a way of saying you're fat without having to say it? I've had a few people ask recently, one particular person at my husbands Xmas do who knows I have just had a baby (because her words were "Rebecca, you were pregnant LAST year, did you not learn your lesson") and it's really starting to get me down, especially as I have lost 2 stone and am back in my pre-baby jeans. Clearly I still look pregnant then....
Have you ever asked someone without them being pregnant? How did you react when they said they're not? Or what smart things can I say back, when what I really want to do is cry??

I asked someone once, only because I was so sure she was about to pop. She was't pg and I was mortified. I will never again ask anyone...even though i know that on occasion people have wondered why I haven't congratulated them or commented.

I was once asked at a toddler group if I was going to have any more children. Was wearing a baggy sweatshirt....I said, yes, in about 6 weeks...perhaps this was a tactful way of asking the question?

RooneyMara Tue 08-Jan-13 13:43:58

I've realised after consideration that it's always best NOT to ask - there've been times I've wondered, and thought, what's the possible outcomes...if they are pg then no prob obvs, but if not then it's a disaster.

So not worth the risk. My sister amazes me by looking very pregnant sometimes, she has never had children. I think she just sort of swells up. But if I didn't know better I'd have asked.

RooneyMara Tue 08-Jan-13 13:44:19

Btw I'd never ask in a deliberate effort to insult someone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now