About my newborn's name?

(183 Posts)

Having a hormonal morning. Finally decided on our baby's name after much deliberation yesterday and told a few friends who all said it was lovely.

My mother calls this morning and I tell her we have decided on Oliver James L.M (surname) to which she replied 'OH NO!!' Like I've told her I'm calling him Crap Bag or something hmm this really upset me as I feel like I could never call him this now as I know she hates it.

So now DP has declared he doesn't like Oliver either and was 'going along with it for me' sad I really thought we both liked it as he has always expressed this.

Now I feel so confused, I really liked it and think it really suits him but now it's completely tainted and DP is looking up names like Ivander and Cassius confused. I guess I'm upset because the baby has his surname and now he's going to choose the first name when I'm the one who carried him and pushed him out and will no doubt be doing the majority of caring as I'm ebf and he's back to ft work next week,

Sorry just needed to rant, feel so upset.

JustFabulous Sat 05-Jan-13 12:46:08

I just don't get why anyone thinks they have a right to negatively comment on, or name, another person's child.

I worked for someone who went through about 7 names before they settled on one as neighbours were passing comment.

When I announced my son's name my grandmother said oh, I thought you would name him MasterJF hmm.

Your husband is being a prat. Tell him to stop arse licking his MIL and you are naming your baby Oliver James. He liked it before, agreed to it and that is a done deal unless you both are willing to rethink but then do not be influenced by anyone else.

GregBishopsBottomBitch Sat 05-Jan-13 12:48:40

Tbh honest, i had my daughter named before she was even conceived, i fell in love with the name i chose, and didnt wanna call her anything else.

diddl Sat 05-Jan-13 12:48:58

I like it.

Your Mum & husband don´t sound very nice tbh.

If he had agreed without liking it-more fool him.

If you still like it, use it.

When I told my Mum what we were calling our PFB she told me she didn´t like it.

I told her that I was informing her of the name of her first GS not asking for her bloody opinion.

Of course the first person she told said-"oh that´s lovely-& unusual"-so she was preeninghmm

I didn´t bother to tell her that they may have just been being politegrin

GregBishopsBottomBitch Sat 05-Jan-13 12:50:16

Also my daughters initials are P E G, no one better dare to call her Peg or Peggy.

diddl Sat 05-Jan-13 12:51:47

My husband & I only ever agreed on the one boys name-there was no way we were going to change it!!

Good job PSB was a girl!!

PeshwariNaan Sat 05-Jan-13 12:51:54

...and this is why we're not telling anyone our name choice until after baby's born and named...

PeshwariNaan Sat 05-Jan-13 12:52:34

But, your DH and MIL are BU. Oliver James is lovely.

diddl Sat 05-Jan-13 12:53:44

Peshwari-in the case of OP & myself, we didn´t-didn´t stop the hurtful comment from our mums though!

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 05-Jan-13 12:58:20

OP Hugo is nice,out of the two you said you liked and DP really liked.

I like Dexter too but think it's a bit of the moment. And the moment will almost certainly have passed by the time I have a child.

RyleDup Sat 05-Jan-13 13:01:16

We had the same problem op. My mum didn't like the name we had chosen, and dp changed his mind when ds was born too. I wouldn't have minded but it was dp who had chosen the name in the first place angry. Anyway, it took weeks to decide on a new name. I did think about naming ds the name we had chosen anyway (for about a nano second), but decided it was a bad idea as dp might not bond with the baby so well if it was a name he now hated. Weeks later, when we still couldn't think of a name, dp said I could have the original name, but by then it was tainted. We finally settled on a new name the day before the 6 week deadline. I must say I love ds's new name now, but I was not happy at the time.

thehappycat Sat 05-Jan-13 13:19:18

Lovely name. Stick to it OP.

Peevish Sat 05-Jan-13 13:20:08

Stick to your guns, OP - your husband sounds like he's flipflopping in a maddening way, having presumably liked the name all along until someone disagreed.

Tastes in names are so ridiculously dependent on age, culture, social class etc etc - you can't please everyone, and you'll go mad trying. I adore my baby's name, which is Biblical, but (though they've never said so outright), I know both sets of grandparents are embarrassed by it, simply because it's not the kind of name they consider 'normal', as working-class Irish people who've never travelled. It's not even a particularly unusual name, and it's phonetically spelled and easily pronounced, but it's not John, Owen, Conor or Cian, which is what they think all little boys shoulod be called in case it makes them stand out in the playground.

Lovely name but it's shitty of them to start playing around like this.

We had the time from hell trying to name DD2 last year and i still hate that she has a name i'm not wild about. I would rather push out 20 babies in a row without gas and air than name another baby. It's the worst bit and should be one of the most fun bits.

Tailtwister Sat 05-Jan-13 13:29:10

Well, for what it's worth I think it's a lovely name.

I'm sorry your mother has upset you, especially at such a sensitive time. However, you like it and that's what matters. Babies grow into their names and in a few months your mum won't be able to think of him as anything other than Oliver. I didn't particularly like DS1's name at first, but it was important to DH he named him after his Grandfather and now he couldn't be anything else!

Try to forget this upset and stick to your guns!

MargeySimpson Sat 05-Jan-13 13:29:31

Everyone hated my DS's name. But everyone loves it now! I think it's important you and your DP are both happy though. We both had to compromise.

The second name thing, that's how I felt (that I carried him etc). At 18months i'm gutted he doesn't have a double barrell or my surname as his middle name! I feel like he doesn't belong to my side of the family!

TidyDancer Sat 05-Jan-13 13:30:08

You need to agree on a name with your DH, your mum's opinion should not override that. However, as your DH is now saying he doesn't like it, that counts for a lot.

Ignoring the fact that your DH's name choices are horrible

Oliver is very popular now so if you were looking for something less common then it may not be the choice for you.

It really is up to your and DH only though. The only time you should listen to outside opinion is if something important is being pointed out to you, such as initials that spell S.H.I.T. or if you'd spelt it badly wrong, etc.

barbiecollector Sat 05-Jan-13 13:32:23

Sorry to say this, but I think Cassius is a fabulous name. Oliver is very popular and a bit dull. People always remember you when you have an unusual name and I think you would be giving your DS a great service by naming him something interesting.

Just my opinion. Please don't be offended.

lockets Sat 05-Jan-13 13:34:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IAmLouisWalsh Sat 05-Jan-13 13:40:15

Oliver is a lovely, lovely name. Classic and timeless.

And as for popularity, DS1 has a name which is now quite unusual - despite being ten a penny when I was growing up - and found himself in a nursery class with another one. Sod's law and all that!

It's funny because I liked Cassius while pg and my DP turned his nose up at it, and now he likes it hmm I don't mind it just don't think it suits him.

I didn't want people to tell me they love Oliver when I posted so definitely not offended if people don't like it. It's tainted now anyway and if DP doesn't like it I won't go with it.

Back to the drawing board!

CloudsAndTrees Sat 05-Jan-13 13:43:01

Oliver is a lovely name, but if your DH doesn't like it then you have to think of something you can agree on. It has nothing to do with your Mum.

Oliver James instantly made me think of Jamie Oliver!

everlong Sat 05-Jan-13 13:49:37

Oliver James is the best name ever.

Cassius is also very nice but I wouldn't change Oliver James.

Oliver is lovely - DD was going to be Oliver had she been a boy. How very awful of your mum! It's one thing to express distaste at a proposed name but quite another when the baby has been named. Very unfair.

StrawberriesTasteLikeLipsDo Sat 05-Jan-13 13:53:59

Oliver is a lovely name! I personally think that as long as your DP doesnt hate it (which he cant do to agree with it in the first place) then you should stick with it! My DS2 is 15 days old, and called Bobby, one 'friend' remarked that 'its a dogs name'... Fricking charmer. People are just odd and rude.

thegreylady Sat 05-Jan-13 13:56:21

Oliver is a lovely name and so is James.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now