Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To be annoyed with "vegetarians&qu ot; that eat fish

(238 Posts)
exBrightonBell Thu 03-Jan-13 20:43:41

If you eat fish then you aren't a vegetarian - it's as simple as that! I'm a vegetarian and it pisses me off when I say so, and the next question is "do you eat fish?" Er, no, because I already said that I'm VEGETARIAN. It's just lazy and it causes confusion for actual vegetarians.

Now I appreciate that the term pescetarian is a bit of a clunky term that is unlikely to be used. But it IS the correct name for the fish eating brigade.

NothingIsAsBadAsItSeems Sun 06-Jan-13 13:22:19

You mean cue the waitress...

...I'm mildly dyslexic so of course some words may be wrong... hmm

But if I'm going to label myself as something at least I make the effort to use the correct label, and not masquerade as something I'm quite clearly not.

NothingIsAsBadAsItSeems Sun 06-Jan-13 13:28:38

Meat is the flesh of mammal and/or bird, fish is fish.

Fish are generally cold blooded (though some sharks are not cold blooded) animals that live in water = meat

Crocodiles are reptiles (so also classed as animals) that can live in water and on land = meat or do you also refuse to class that as meat since they aren't birds or mammals? And if so what do you class it as, as it aint fish confused

ImKateandsoismywife Sun 06-Jan-13 13:46:51

13 I'm really embarrassed about the way I handled it tbh! It was a lovely gastro pub out in the countryside and I didn't want to make a big fuss as we were with dh's boss who had insisted on paying. The "vegetarian" platter was literally the only veggie thing on the menu which is why I ordered it. I went to the bar and told them my vegetarian meal was not vegetarian and the waitress spoke to the chef who offered to make me omelette and chips instead. As everyone else had nearly finished their meal I declined (far too politely blush ). I just ate my onion rings and potato wedges and told the others I wasn't very hungry. I honestly don't know if they charged dh's boss for my meal but dh had a few crabsticks so it wasn't all wasted! Sometimes I could kick myself for my "don't make a fuss" politeness!

Moominsarehippos Sun 06-Jan-13 13:56:59

Politeness and not making a fuss is underdone too much these days! I loathe professional stink-kickers and prefer to pick my battles. Im sure the waitress was relieved that you didnt cause a fuss and was nice about it. Besides, I hear they spit in your food if you complain!

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Sun 06-Jan-13 14:06:10

I never understood how some "vegetarians" were very concerned about battery chickens and yet were fine with trawled fish and the associated bycatch of seals, sharks, dolphins etc.

squeakytoy Sun 06-Jan-13 14:14:06

I can honestly say I have never seen such a ridiculous and pedantic load of nonsense on here.

The vast majority of people with common sense are capable of distinguishing meat and fish as being two separate classifications of food. Hence why on a menu they are generally in different sections. Vegetables are not fish, or meat.

There are lots of people who do not eat meat but eat fish. Clearly they are not vegetarians but it really is quite simple to understand what they mean.

There are lots of people who dont eat red meat but will eat white, and again that is also very simple to understand. They dont eat beef or lamb, but they will eat chicken.

nickelbabylyinginamanger Sun 06-Jan-13 16:40:13

in lots of cuisines, fish, chicken and meat dishes are separate too. i would still classify chicken as meat even thought it's on a separate menu.

DoJo Mon 07-Jan-13 01:47:15

Is it too late to point out that the term 'vegetarian' isn't derived from the word vegetable...?

Moominsarehippos Mon 07-Jan-13 07:32:49

Eaxctly. It's derived from the Latin for 'person or animal who doesnt eat anything that has been killed'.

(Made that up)

Hulababy Mon 07-Jan-13 07:49:41

I am not vegetarian. I don't like meat so I do not eat it and haven't for years. I do like fish so I do eat it. I don't describe myself as vegetarian on most occasions. However if going out for a meal it is sometimes easier to do so to avoid being given meat. So for me it will sometimes depend on the situation.

Hulababy Mon 07-Jan-13 07:55:03

Bear in mind too that in most menu options there is no box for me to tick to say pescetarian.
and to be honest whenever I have used the words people often just look at you confused or roll their eyes as if you are being a bit pedantic.

But like others I can't really get worked up over such matters.

NothingIsAsBadAsItSeems Mon 07-Jan-13 09:40:41

Do you ever see dishes containing fish on a restaurant menu with a v symbol next to them?

No you don't since fish is not eaten by vegetarians. Really don't see why this is so hard for 'fake vegetarians' to accept. I try to avoid getting worked up over it but how many times should a vegetarian have to say 'No thank you I don't eat fish since that is meat and I don't eat meat hence being a vegetarian '?

When I was in primary school I went on a school trip (4 nights away from home). On three of those nights I went hungry since the vegetarian option was fish with some form of sauce containing fish stock covering everything. My parents had very clearly stated that I was a vegetarian on the dietary requirements section of the consent form. I told my teachers that I couldn't eat the food since I was a vegetarian only to be told that fish was suitable for vegetarians and that nothing else was available so I should eat around the fish... angry I never went on another over night school trip in that school.

A vegetarian 'in a dietary sense' is defined in the dictionary as a person who does not eat meat including fish and fowl as well as red meat...

Moominsarehippos Mon 07-Jan-13 11:30:21

I've seen dishes with prawns or fish stock with little Vs next to them. They've been in Chinese restaurants, so I think the got confused between Vegetable and Vegetarian dishes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now